Clunking noise when slowing/accelerating 2018 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venturaleaves

I recently had an issue with a clunking noise when accelerating & slowing. It’s pretty easy to hear unusual noises since the car is so quiet. I had looked at this forum & found a similar issue with previous gen Leafs. I brought it to the dealer & they quickly identified an axle nut that required re-torquing (tightening). The service advisor suggested it was from hard braking, and some other ICE Nissan models have the same problem. Seems like a poor design but I’m happy the noise is gone.

Venturaleaves said:
I recently had an issue with a clunking noise when accelerating & slowing. ... they quickly identified an axle nut that required re-torquing (tightening).

My (non-tech savvy) wife noticed some noises from wheel(s) of our car. She took it to dealer and they removed a rock stuck somewhere (behind brake backing-plate I presume) but also said they had to do something that involved "replacing some washer" on the wheel. I wonder if it's the same thing ?

Interesting. I've noticed what I believe is the same issue, just not all the time. I'll pop my front wheels off and check the torque specs on em. Thanks for the info

Similar problem, clunking when accelerating and then slowing down. Made an appointment to have it looked at, but then decided to check if there were rocks in the brake system because someone else suggested it. When I went to look, found 4 loose lug nuts! Tightened them down, clunking went away. FYI. We had some body work done 6 months ago that required them to remove the tire.

I didn't bother to mention this at the time, but my housemate's 2020 SV+ had been making loud creaking sounds last year, when starting off and just as it stopped. I figured it needed to be looked at, but decided to re-torque the lug nuts first. Some technical problem like a missing socket that would fit the torque wrench came up, so I just used my built-in torque wrench - when I was 12-14 years old I was the pit crew for my father's drag Volvo, and I developed a good sense of lug torque (and in my present condition it would be just about impossible for me to over-tighten them). Anyway, a few of the nuts felt a tad loose, most seemed ok, but when I finished the creaking and groaning was gone.

Back