Battery temp always at 5-6 bars?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

be236

Just got a used Nissan LEAF 2017.

I noticed that in the evening, when parked in the shade and outside temp is about 70 degrees, I show 6 temp battery bars.

And in the morning, and it's about 60 degrees, I show 5 temp battery bars.

I would have expected it go down to maybe 3-4 battery bars overnight into the morning?

Is it normal for it to say in this 5-6 range?

FWIW, per Leaf Spy, my average battery temp sensor value was a bit past 90.x F and the crappy dash display still showed 6 temp bars.

be236 said:
In your locale this time of year, yes.
I'll guess that you will see 4 bars in the winter.

Get LeafSpy if you want to see actual battery temps.

be236 said:
Just got a used Nissan LEAF 2017.

I noticed that in the evening, when parked in the shade and outside temp is about 70 degrees, I show 6 temp battery bars.

And in the morning, and it's about 60 degrees, I show 5 temp battery bars.

I would have expected it go down to maybe 3-4 battery bars overnight into the morning?

Lucky you.

In reality, bars 5 and 6 cover the largest temperature range from the low 60's to the mid 90'sº

I have a list (2018) that is partial since it was started after it warmed up so the low end of the 5 bar range is not complete nor is the high end of the 10 bar range since QC throttling does a very good job of preventing bar 11.

5 bars 66.4 - 76.8

6 bars 78.6 - 95.8

7 bars 96.6 - 104.2

8 bars 105.6 - 114.8

9 bars 112.2 - 121.0

10 bars 119.2 - 122.0

I finally got ODB2 and LeafSpy LITE... it shows about 70-72 degrees for the three sensors and my temp bars shows 6 bars.

Anyways, there was a day when I QC to 97% and I then I noticed it had 8 or 9 temp bars , looked like it was one bar shy of the red zone...

It was hot outside, about 85 degrees or so ... I drove it on the freeway on the freeway and it was stuck at those 8 or 9 temp bars.. Parked it in the sun, and in the evening, I think it went down to 7 bars, then eventually in the morning it was at 6 bars.. normally it would be at 5 bars in the morning at 70 degrees...

It took about another day until it went back to the 5 bar in morning and 6 bars in the afternoon/driving ...

SO, not sure what was happening then.. maybe just a fluke / weird occurrence of high temp bars...

Hope I didn't hurt/degrade the battery for those two days it was above my normal (max) 6 temp bars...

^^^
Not a fluke. Next time, look at your temps on hot days, before and after L2 charging, after DC FCing, etc. Watch it in the morning, day, night, etc.

I hate the days when it's hot out (past 90 F) and it's a weekend (where I have no slightly underground cooler area to park my car that my work has). My battery can reach 90 F or more just due to ambient temps and rise even higher with use and/or L2 charging. My current Leaf has no CHAdeMO.

This guy cooked his battery: https://web.archive.org/web/20170717073322/http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=22134.

Welcome to the new hotter, smokier Seattle. People thinks its a fluke but the smoke is here for 2nd year in a row, the heat is here 3rd time in 7 years

At 97º you should be at 7 bars "barely" I park in the great wide open at work but less than ½ mile from Puget Sound but the heat has caused our normally reliable onshore flow to reverse itself so no ocean cooling! At home, I park in garage and it normally stays in the mid to upper 60's touching 70ish only on the warmest of days which used to be in the mid 80's.

But those days are long gone. Did you know that Olympia raised its average high for July to 79º (from 78) and August to 80º (from 78) in time that I have lived here?

We used to average 5 days in the 90's per year. July 2018 had EIGHT days in the 90's alone and we both know that there was no real cooling trend in August.

The other thing that is prevalent on the 2018 LEAF is that spirited driving adds more heat than in previous models. This makes sense. The 2018 has more power, higher energy density in the cells, and more power packed into the same footprint. I had my batt temps rise 14º driving from Olympia to Snoqualmie summit with CC set to 65 mph. I realized that (after the fact) that I should have gone 60 up and made up time on the back side.

Back