LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: 12 volt Battery dying while charging leaf

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:19 pm

The Leaf S, does not have a Solar Panel on it, I believe it is just the SV or does the SL have a panel as well? Not that it does much, but better than nothing, although our Leaf is garaged so it wouldn't help much anyway.

Only older Leaf SLs have the solar panel. It does seem to help if the car is parked in full sun for many hours a day.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Levenkay
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 308382

Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:01 pm

tobleafornot wrote:Been having this problem too after years of no problems. New battery did not help at all. This is absolutely stupid that you have to charge two batteries. Definitely something faulty with the whole thing. Time for a recall Nissan.
Nissan COULD have prevented the issues by using a lithium battery for the 12V system. But, seriously: where do you think an automaker could get its hands on that kind of technology??? <Pffft!> Please....

Sondy132001
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 02 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 016225

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:08 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
The Leaf S, does not have a Solar Panel on it, I believe it is just the SV or does the SL have a panel as well? Not that it does much, but better than nothing, although our Leaf is garaged so it wouldn't help much anyway.

Only older Leaf SLs have the solar panel. It does seem to help if the car is parked in full sun for many hours a day.

I've only parked my car in the sun on weekends, my driveway, during the week it's in a parking structure during the days. I've never had an issue with my 12 volt battery, as far as I can tell, it runs the radio, lights etc yes ?? I do have the SL, so I have the solar panel on my roof.
2012 Nissan Leaf SL with QC 23,362 miles as of 3/5/15 Cayenne Red Mission Viejo, CA

Lost my 4th bar @ 49,474 miles 11-19-17

DanDietrich
Delivery Date: 14 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 332213

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:23 am

Well, our Leaf just signed its death warrant. Dead again. My 12 volt battery has been running down way too frequently. Yesterday I gave it a good charge from my external charger, and this morning it was dead again. A quick charge didn't help. I unhooked the battery and waited a minute and then hooked it back up. It started fine. Three hours later it is still fine. But tonight? Who knows? Tomorrow? It's all a guess. I am beyond frustrated at this defect. My wife will not drive the car to work because she doesn't know if it will start, and I can't blame her. I have been having problems like ths for three years with a four year old car.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:21 am

All of this sounds like a parasitic draw on the 12v battery when the car is off. First, I would take a voltage reading of the battery when the car is off. Then turn on the ignition and headlights. The voltage should go up from 12.xx to about 14.xx If the voltage does not go up, then the "alternator/ generator" part of the car is not working.

If the voltage goes up, then you need to have a mechanic hook up an ammeter to the battery when the car is off to see if there is a parasitic voltage draw. Cannot be too difficult because this happens with cars all the time. and it has nothing to do with the car being an EV..

BrockWI
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 423875

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:38 am

Unfortunately we have gone through this as well since the car was new. It is quite random and hard to trace and very annoying. It is so frustrating to have no issues, start up and drive somewhere, shut the car off, 3 hours later come out to a dead 12v battery, knowing we have a traction pack with lots of power in it right there, but no way to access it.

We have resorted to carrying a 12v 9ah small sealed lead acid battery with alligator clips, it works like a charm, but a pain, even my wife knows what to do when the 12v is dead, so much so she doesn't even call me, sometime later she will just say "Oh I had to jump the Leaf again today". Also about a month ago I disconnected the shunt or sensor on the 12v battery itself, this causes the car to keep the 12v battery at 13.9v in my case, which charges the 12v battery more than it would otherwise. So far (knocking on wood) we have not had to jump it once and when I do a top off weekly charge it goes in to float in a matter of minutes where in the past sometimes it would be many hours.

I have tried checking phantom loads and only once have I caught a 2 amp load on when the car was "off". I checked everything and saw nothing on, I power cycled the car and then it was gone. I am convinced it isn't a small consistent phantom drain, but rather something larger that stays on and runs the aux battery flat. I so wish when I had caught it I started pulling fuses to see what it was.

We need a momentary emergency "push to jump" button from the traction battery :)
3 kw solar pv - XW6048 - eight L16's
4 ton GSHP
2003 VW TDI 180k miles - 52 mpg lifetime
evse level 2 - Clipper Creek HSC-40
2013 S model with QC package Mar of 2013
@70k miles - 56.56Ahr - 86 SOH - 82.55 Hx - 245 GID

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:35 am

Am I right to assume this mostly affects 2013 era cars? I don't have any hard facts but it seems that most of the problem cars are from around that era.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:13 pm

They seem to have either resolved or reduced the problem in 2014.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Levenkay wrote:Nissan COULD have prevented the issues by using a lithium battery for the 12V system. But, seriously: where do you think an automaker could get its hands on that kind of technology??? <Pffft!> Please....

There's a good reason for that: Lithium 12v batteries are way too expensive to put in every car.
I spent ~$500 on mine, but the upside is: I haven't had a dead 12v battery in almost 5 years (and Texas is very hard on 12v batteries).
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:33 pm

powersurge wrote:All of this sounds like a parasitic draw on the 12v battery when the car is off. First, I would take a voltage reading of the battery when the car is off. Then turn on the ignition and headlights. The voltage should go up from 12.xx to about 14.xx If the voltage does not go up, then the "alternator/ generator" part of the car is not working.

Leaf has no "alternator/ generator". There is the DC to DC converter that takes its place.

Also, if you actuate the wipers, one should see the voltage on the 12 volt bus jump and stay elevated for awhile before it falls back to ~12.88 volts or very low 13-ish volts (if memory serves).

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”