RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Re: 12 volt Battery dying while charging leaf

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:14 am

DanDietrich wrote:Well, our Leaf just signed its death warrant. Dead again. My 12 volt battery has been running down way too frequently. Yesterday I gave it a good charge from my external charger, and this morning it was dead again. A quick charge didn't help. I unhooked the battery and waited a minute and then hooked it back up. It started fine. Three hours later it is still fine. But tonight? Who knows? Tomorrow? It's all a guess. I am beyond frustrated at this defect. My wife will not drive the car to work because she doesn't know if it will start, and I can't blame her. I have been having problems like ths for three years with a four year old car.
My guess is that your battery is now sulfated to the point where it will no longer hold much charge. This is the result of the LEAF's charging system not keeping the battery fully charged over the years.

My suggestion is that you replace the battery.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K mi. on 041413; 20K mi. (55.7Ah) on 080714; 30K mi. (52.0Ah) on 123015; 40K mi. (49.8Ah) on 020817; 50K mi. (47.2Ah) on 120717; 60K mi. (43.66Ah) on 091918.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:05 am

DanDietrich wrote:Well, our Leaf just signed its death warrant. Dead again. My 12 volt battery has been running down way too frequently. Yesterday I gave it a good charge from my external charger, and this morning it was dead again. A quick charge didn't help. I unhooked the battery and waited a minute and then hooked it back up. It started fine. Three hours later it is still fine. But tonight? Who knows? Tomorrow? It's all a guess. I am beyond frustrated at this defect. My wife will not drive the car to work because she doesn't know if it will start, and I can't blame her. I have been having problems like ths for three years with a four year old car.

Besides the 12 volt possibly being toast, I noticed you have a '14 SV.

Did you pay to get the TCU upgaded to 3G? If so, that might be the cause of a drain. NTB18-045 is supposed to resolve that. If not and you're still on the non-functional 2G TCU, then that's probably not the issue.

If you/your wife is concerned about a no-start condition due to a dead 12 volt, bring along a charged 12 volt jump pack. I've been doing that for years. The 12 volt on my used '13 Leaf (built 5/2013) bit the dust around Oct 2015. Dealer replaced it for free under the 3 year/36K warranty. I bought the car used in July 2015.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DanDietrich
Delivery Date: 14 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 332213

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks all,
I posted more out of frustration. I have done all of the above. I'll give a different dealer one last shot to fix it, but then it has to go. I do keep a jump start battery with me, a precaution I have never needed before in over 30 years of owning cars and trucks. For me, when it dies I can drive my reliable 34 year old Ford truck. Frankly, there are too many folks here accepting this as normal, or an evil necessity. This condition is a stupid oversight that Nissan should have taken care of years ago. I just cannot see ever buying another one of their cars, especially after having a dealer tell me multiple times that there is nothing wrong, or that all of the information I have passed on from these boards as to potential causes is wrong because that's not what Nissan is telling them when they email the company. One time they rebuilt half of my traction battery, which had no problems, because they were told to by the factory rep. It took them three weeks.
Of course, when I take it in I am sure it will be running perfectly.

DanDietrich

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:45 am

Here is my follow up:
A different dealer had my car for 4 days. They were very friendly, and performed three software updates, all under warranty, to fix the various issues. That included the TSB for the telemetrics gizmo. I arrived to pick it up. They had charged it, unplugged it to wash it, and plugged it back in. It would not start, giving me the dash lights and T/M fault, see dealer light again. They were stunned that it happened. I was not. They still have the car.

BrockWI
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 423875

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:08 am

I am not happy it happened to you, but I am really happy it happened at the dealer, I have never had that "luck" if you call it that. It would be amazing if they can figure it out. So far with 3 weeks now since I have removed the sensor on the 12v battery I haven't had an issue (knocking on wood), but I believe that is becasue the car stays in the higher state of charge, which charges the 12v full, so it can handle that drain when it gets stuck on. Obviously if it sits for a long time this won't help, but we use ours pretty regularly so it stays more charged. Oh I also put in the next size up 12v battery in the car
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18129&p=439206#p439206
3 kw solar pv - XW6048 - eight L16's
4 ton GSHP
2003 VW TDI 180k miles - 52 mpg lifetime
evse level 2 - Clipper Creek HSC-40
2013 S model with QC package Mar of 2013
@70k miles - 56.56Ahr - 86 SOH - 82.55 Hx - 245 GID

DanDietrich

Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:57 pm

Well, They still have the car. They charged the battery and it has been running perfectly for them. They can find nothing wrong. So I will go tomorrow or Friday to pick it up. My 84 F250 has bounced out enough of my teeth for now. I want my car back.
Now for the ethical problem. I want to sell the car privately. I will put a larger new battery in it, and I guess I will tell the buyer to check the charge every couple of weeks. I'll have to take a bit off the price, but I cannot in good conscience sell the car without disclosing this.
I think I will by a used ICE car to run for two years or so, because I am not thrilled with any of the electric cars on the road right now, and keep hearing promises of new models.
I am really bummed about this. I love having an electric car to go with my solar panels.

DanDietrich

Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:03 pm

BrockWi,
I just checked your link. Did you get the Rogue tray and strap from a dealer or online? I think I am going to try that. Thanks, and good luck to the Brewers.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:57 pm

DanDietrich wrote:Well, They still have the car. They charged the battery and it has been running perfectly for them. They can find nothing wrong. So I will go tomorrow or Friday to pick it up. My 84 F250 has bounced out enough of my teeth for now. I want my car back.
Now for the ethical problem. I want to sell the car privately. I will put a larger new battery in it, and I guess I will tell the buyer to check the charge every couple of weeks. I'll have to take a bit off the price, but I cannot in good conscience sell the car without disclosing this.
I think I will by a used ICE car to run for two years or so, because I am not thrilled with any of the electric cars on the road right now, and keep hearing promises of new models.
I am really bummed about this. I love having an electric car to go with my solar panels.

Buy a Battery Tender JR and hardwire connection for it, and install the latter. Include them with the car and tell the the buyer to hook it up once every few weeks overnight, or until the light turns green.
Last edited by LeftieBiker on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DanDietrich

Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:15 pm

I don't have to buy one, I've been using one for a while. What kind of discount would you expect if the seller told you you would need to do that to a 4 year old car?

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:01 pm

DanDietrich wrote:I don't have to buy one, I've been using one for a while. What kind of discount would you expect if the seller told you you would need to do that to a 4 year old car?

I think you need to find a buyer who isn't horrified at the idea, more than offer a specific discount, because if they don't know how to do it, or won't bother, the discount won't matter much. If you find an interested buyer, I think a new AGM battery, with a larger capacity, would be enough incentive.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”