A Flurry of Random Error Messages and Associated Lights

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sigurdk

My '15 Leaf S (31,000 miles) is displaying several error messages and lights. They appear to be random and I can not replicate them in any way. Sometimes I can't get the shifter out of Neutral (and thus can't drive at all, forwards or backward), other times I can drive with random error messages, and sometimes everything appears normal.

I installed a new 12V battery today, hoping that would help -- alas, it didn't; the issues have not changed with the new install,

The error messages include, but may not be limited to (I paraphrase):

• "Use the handbrake while parked"
    "The T/M module is faulty - take the car to the dealer"
    "I-Key is faulty"

Lights include, randomly and inno replicative combination:

• Red gear with an exclamation point
    Turtle symbol
    Yellow triangle
    Battery light

I guess I need to bring it into the dreaded Nissan dealership but thought I'd throw it in here first.

Thanks,

I didn’t pre-charge the new battery.

Tested the voltage over terminals today: 12.4V - maybe a little low?

Will trickle charge at 2A overnight and report back.

Once you've charged up the battery, use LeafSpy to reset all the DTCs and hopefully they won't come back.

Based on your descriptions, I had a very similar incident with my Leaf when the 12v battery was run down and a 12v battery charge and DTCs reset cured it.

As I've noted before, auto parts stores and even mechanics don't pre-charge 12 volt starting batteries because the car's alternator (on an ICE) will do it fairly quickly. The older Leafs, though, may never get one up to a full charge.

To provide a closure to this thread: After having replaced the battery, as well as checked and reset the myriad of error codes in LeafSpy without any of these remedies fixing the problem -- and after some hand-wringing -- I took the car to the Nissan dealership.

They established that the issue was with the reduction gear, which they replaced under warranty (2015 Leaf S, cost to Nissan $1,492 as per invoice).

All problems have gone away and Leaf Spy now shows all OK.

Back