nissansucks
Delivery Date: 18 Jun 2016
Leaf Number: 021463

Nissan won't replace my battery under warranty !!!

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:58 pm

I bought a used 2012 SL with 36,000 miles and 9 battery bars in June of 2016 in Los Angeles, with the battery replacement warranty expiring on October 10, 2016. I was driving to LAX for a business trip on October 3rd when the battery went to 8 bars, so I took it to Cerritos Nissan and asked them to document it for the free battery replacement. They told me I have to make an appointment for them to test the battery for free replacement, but I told them I’m catching a flight at LAX for business trip overseas and won’t be back until October 24, and they said there’s nothing they can do. When I took the car back to the dealer on October 25th, they said the battery warranty had expired, and I have to go directly to Nissan North American to open a case for battery replacement out of warranty. I contacted Nissan North America and explained to them what had happened, and they said they won’t replace my battery under the warranty because it was brought to the dealer after the warranty had expired. I then asked if they can give me a battery at a discount, like 50% off, but they refused. I also tried BBB but no luck there either. The Nissan dealer told me the battery will cost $6500 + $1500 for tax and installation, putting the battery replacement cost at $8000! I owned 2 Nissan prior to my Leaf, a 300 ZX and a Q45 after that, I can’t believe this is how Nissan treats their loyal customers.

When I saw news on the web this June that Nissan Japan has a Leaf refurbish battery replacement program at $2500, I contact Nissan North America again inquiring if US will have similar program, but they said no. They also told me the battery replacement for a new pack has increase to $8000, not including tax and installation! Thanks Nissan, now I have a Leaf that only goes 40 miles per charge in city driving, and a $1000 trade in value, and you want $8000 for battery, thanks but no thanks. This is the last Nissan I will ever own in my life!

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: Nissan won't replace my battery under warranty !!!

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:07 pm

You almost played the game right. I'm surprised you did not have enough sense to leave your car with the dealer and grab a ride-share to the airport. Those last couple dollars of greed were your undoing.

And yes, Nissan sucks.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:07 pm

Rental cars are cheaper than a battery. So is a taxi. YOU made a mistake.

Yes I agree the warranty should have a prorated period, but it does not. You knew the rules and ignored them.

That was two years ago.... are you still driving a Nissan?
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
I-Pace on order for end of 2018 delivery

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:18 pm

The greedy become the needy.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:20 pm

There is no evidence of "greed" here. Why do you, um, gentlemen think that if the car had been left the dealership would have documented the bar loss in time? The best approach here would have been to offer the dealership $300 to take 15 minutes on the spot and just photograph the dash and document the loss in writing. Or take a later flight and find another dealership...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

HerdingElectrons
Delivery Date: 17 Sep 2018

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:20 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:There is no evidence of "greed" here. Why do you, um, gentlemen think that if the car had been left the dealership would have documented the bar loss in time? The best approach here would have been to offer the dealership $300 to take 15 minutes on the spot and just photograph the dash and document the loss in writing. Or take a later flight and find another dealership...

Because if he had turned the car in on the day of his flight it would have been officially reported in time for the warranty to take effect. Even if no appreciable action was taken for xxx days the turned over date is what would matter here.
2018 SL Pearl White, LOVE ProPilot Currently at 4.1-4.5 miles/kwh as I learn to drive pure EV & the weather gets colder.

Sept 2018: AHr= 114.52 / SOH= 99.2 / HX= 99.70% / 14 mV cell delta

2013 Prius 2, 126K & still really enjoy the car

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:05 pm

Because if he had turned the car in on the day of his flight it would have been officially reported in time for the warranty to take effect. Even if no appreciable action was taken for xxx days the turned over date is what would matter here.

I assume you mean "checked the car in." Maybe - if the dealership hadn't decided to wait until they had a slow day to actually do the documentation. Anyway, my main point is that what you folks are referring to as "greed" is at worst "being cheap." Greed is when you try to accumulate more wealth no matter what the cost or consequences, while "cheap" is just an often excessive effort to retain all of the wealth you already have. What you folks are doing is calling the wrong schoolyard epithet. ;-)
Last edited by LeftieBiker on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:35 pm

Sorry to hear about the OP's troubles but...
smkettner wrote:Rental cars are cheaper than a battery. So is a taxi. YOU made a mistake.

Yes I agree the warranty should have a prorated period, but it does not. You knew the rules and ignored them.

That was two years ago.... are you still driving a Nissan?

Agree with all of the above.

The thread has an incorrect title. It should read something like "Nissan won't replace my out of warranty battery for free!"

Let this thread and few others similar to it be a cautionary tale. For anyone who may be close to expiration of the 5 year/60K capacity warranty, MAKE SURE you know the original in-service date and when the 5 years is up. Set repeating calendar reminders for yourself (I use Google Calendar) with multiple notification forms (e.g. email + regular notification) so that you get nagged regularly leading up to the end date. Make sure you don't miss it by a single day or mile!

It may be wise to do the same for the 3 year/36K basic warranty and 5 year/60K EV system/powertrain warranty, as a reminder to get anything outstanding addressed before warranty expiration.

I do the above when I know I need to contact a company about canceling something otherwise I'll pay a higher fee for subscription (e.g. SiriusXM radio) and for many other important events/to-do items.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:21 am

Mr. "NISSANSUCKS" is a shill agitator. On his first post he is fostering "HATE" against Nissan.

Also, if the warrantee was up in Oct, 2016. He is late with his complaint.. This sounds like the alleged allegations of "Dr. Ford" 40 years too late

this guy needs to not troll these sites...

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:28 am

I don't understand why the OP waited 2 years to post this.
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17) 29K mi
Tesla X 100D (ordered, 12/18 delivery) (replaced 3 reservation)

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”