GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Re: Nissan won't replace my battery under warranty !!!

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:04 pm

Nissan retroactively offered the capacity warranty that came standard on 2013 models to registered owners of 2011 and 2012 models months before the class action suit documents were sent to those same owners by the plaintiff attorneys. Nissan actually replaced the battery in my 2011 before the first proposed settlement went to court. That proposed settlement was rejected by the court because it would have done little for most owners. The revised settlement which was ultimately approved by the court required the replacement batteries for 2011 and 2012 models (covered by the class action) to be of the latest chemistry, but owners accepting the settlement waived their future rights to sue Nissan over battery issues. The settlement was a big win for Nissan and the plaintiff attorneys at the expense of the owners. I opted out of the original proposed settlement and remained opted out of the final settlement, but it became a moot point since the car was totaled before I had any more battery issues.

Edited to clarify that class action only applied to 2011 through 2012 models and fix a typographical error.
Last edited by GerryAZ on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

nissansucks
Delivery Date: 18 Jun 2016
Leaf Number: 021463

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:55 pm

If Nissan North America really cares about their customers like their parent company Nissan Japan, they should offer the same refurbish battery program they're offering in Japan for less than $3000. I called Nissan US customer care after I saw this report a couple months ago, and they said they're not considering offering such program in the US. I have an iPhone 6 and when people found out Apple was throttling their older iPhones to prevent shut down, Apple offered to replace older iPhone batteries at $29 instead of $79, that's caring about their customers. By not offering the same refurbish battery program like Japan, I do feel all Nissan US cares about it profit and not customers. Like I said, I owned 3 Nissans before, never again.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... s-in-japan

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:07 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Nubo wrote:
TomT wrote:No, but foisting off a defective battery on them and then not standing behind it certainly does!

Far from it. They stood behind the battery with a warranty, which even applied to OP's purchase of a USED car whereby the weak battery was already factored into the purchase price. This goose was ready to lay a Golden Egg. All OP had to do was pick it up. Makes no sense. But... a promotional link by the way....

No. That warranty that they used to "stand behind" the battery was imposed on them by a class action lawsuit.

The origin of the warranty doesn't negate my statement. OP was not mistreated.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:32 am

GerryAZ wrote:The revised ettlement which was ultimately approved by the court required the replacement batteries to be of the latest chemistry, but owners accepting the settlement waived their future rights to sue Nissan over battery issues. The settlement was a big win for Nissan and the plaintiff attorneys at the expense of the owners.

I don't view it that way, except for the 'capacity bar' loophole that Nissan subsequently exploited.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

GerryAZ
Gold Member

Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:13 am

SageBrush wrote:
GerryAZ wrote:The revised ettlement which was ultimately approved by the court required the replacement batteries to be of the latest chemistry, but owners accepting the settlement waived their future rights to sue Nissan over battery issues. The settlement was a big win for Nissan and the plaintiff attorneys at the expense of the owners.

I don't view it that way, except for the 'capacity bar' loophole that Nissan subsequently exploited.

The P3227 software update that improved the accuracy of the dashboard (and CAN Bus) information related to the traction battery on 2011 and 2012 models was issued before the retroactive warranty and the class action lawsuit. That software update was performed on my car after it was down to 8 capacity bars. It did not change the capacity bar level, but greatly improved the accuracy of the instrumentation. Since the class action lawsuit only applied to 2011 and 2012 cars, it has no bearing on the rights and responsibilities of Nissan and owners related to 2013 and later cars. I stand by my opinion that the class action settlement was a big win for Nissan and the plaintiff attorneys at the expense of original and subsequent owners of 2011 and 2012 LEAFs.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles

Marktm
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:21 am

Curiosity - Does the "logging" of data (routinely done by all of our Leafs) in any way prove that the capacity bars are activated under certain conditions and at a certain date?
2012 Leaf SL; 36,000 miles. Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.

GerryAZ
Gold Member

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:09 am

Marktm wrote:Curiosity - Does the "logging" of data (routinely done by all of our Leafs) in any way prove that the capacity bars are activated under certain conditions and at a certain date?

I don't know, but Nissan EV Customer Service called me some time after my second annual battery test (in June of 2013) and asked me to take it to my dealer for additional testing so they could initiate battery replacement. I had planned to wait until range became an issue before asking, but Nissan initiated the replacement after testing.
Gerry

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”