Page 1 of 2

Beeping 12volt charging error

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:45 pm
by Calldon
I did not drive my leaf for a couple of months. The battery was charged and unplugged. A couple of days ago I was going to start it up and there was no power. The 12-volt battery must have Rundown. So I hook the 12 volt battery up to a charger and the car started beeping 3 short beeps several times but it would not charge.

So I connected another charger to it and put it on Trickle. The horn started beeping constantly and did not stop until I turned off the battery charger. The display on the battery charger read 80. But I can't find that error code anywhere.

I would just replace the battery except I parked it under a fifth wheel trailer at a campground where I can plug into 30 amps. Unfortunately I can only raise the hood a few inches, it bumps the trailer hitch above. I thought I could just charge the battery and move the car. But I keep getting beeping.

So are the three beeps a code? And what about the constant beeping on the second battery charger?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Beeping 12volt charging error

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:20 pm
by baustin
You need to disconnect and charge the 12volt battery. Depending on its age, it may be due for replacement. If it is, I would suggest an AGM style battery. The car will not function normally without a charged12v battery.

You may need to connect a tow cable to the car frame and drag it out far enough to get the hood open.

Re: Beeping 12volt charging error

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:57 pm
by Nubo
Agreed, I had this once with a low battery. Just disconnect the car's terminals and charge the 12V until it's full before reconnecting.

Re: Beeping 12volt charging error

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:44 pm
by LeftieBiker
baustin wrote:You need to disconnect and charge the 12volt battery. Depending on its age, it may be due for replacement. If it is, I would suggest an AGM style battery. The car will not function normally without a charged12v battery.

You may need to connect a tow cable to the car frame and drag it out far enough to get the hood open.


It may be possible to disconnect, charge, and reconnect the battery where it sits. Just be careful with the positive terminal and with whatever metal tools you use, and make sure the car is OFF.

Re: Beeping 12volt charging error

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:30 pm
by bitmanEV
disconnecting the battery; first start with the Negative terminal of the battery since when you touch the car body with a spanner all fine then do the Positive terminal and since the Negative terminal of the battery isn't connected any more to the body of the car no issues when touching with a spanner when disconnecting the positive terminal
connecting the battery just follow the reverse; Positive first then Negative

Re: Beeping 12volt charging error

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:37 pm
by Calldon
Since I can't open the hood but a few inches, would it be okay just to disconnect the negative terminal, then charge it, then reconnect the negative terminal?

I think there might be enough room for me to disconnect the negative terminal but not the positive terminal. If the negative terminal is disconnected from the battery, wouldn't the car be disconnected from the battery?

Re: Beeping 12volt charging error

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:44 pm
by goldbrick
Calldon wrote:Since I can't open the hood but a few inches, would it be okay just to disconnect the negative terminal, then charge it, then reconnect the negative terminal?

I think there might be enough room for me to disconnect the negative terminal but not the positive terminal. If the negative terminal is disconnected from the battery, wouldn't the car be disconnected from the battery?


That should work but do be careful. Remove the battery ground connection and secure the cable so it can't flop around, don't touch any of the charger leads to any part of the car (except the battery terminals) and like Leftie mentioned, be sure the car is OFF.

Re: Beeping 12volt charging error

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:42 pm
by Calldon
Thanks. the car is off. It won't start until there's power in the 12 volt battery. I get nothing at this point.

Re: Beeping 12volt charging error

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:34 pm
by bda0009
Is it necessary to disconnect the battery when using a trickle charger? There is a YouTube video of someone using a trickle charger on a Leaf without disconnecting the battery.

Re: Beeping 12volt charging error

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:49 pm
by LeftieBiker
bda0009 wrote:Is it necessary to disconnect the battery when using a trickle charger? There is a YouTube video of someone using a trickle charger on a Leaf without disconnecting the battery.


Nope, not necessary unless maybe if the 12 volt battery is dead, as in the first post in this topic. Just avoid sparks at the battery and damage to the current sensor by making the Negative connection last, away from the battery. There is a little unused screw flange at the top of the inverter stack (it looks like a valve cover for a gas engine) that is perfect for making the negative connection.