powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

MY LEAF DOES NOT RECOGNIZE OBDII CODE READERS

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:34 am

I have been using my Leafspy on my phone since I got the car.... Both with a WIFI and BLUETOOTH connector. Never had any problems... No need to worry about any OBDII codes or scanners..

I recently had a bunch of dash error lights go off, and Leafspy was able to tell me that the problem was an ABS wheel sensor. GREAT! I changed my ABS senor. All is well now...

Since I had the codes on my car, I decided to confirm the codes with my regular plug-in OBDII reader... NO CONNECTION. I tried a phone app (OBDII code reader) with the wireless connector (which works on Leafspy)...... NO CONNECTION.. Lastly, I bought a new OBDII code reader that is highly rated and tried it..... NO CONNECTION!!

All of my code readers work fine on my ICE cars... WHAT GIVES THAT THE LEAF DOES NOT CONNECT TO OBDII CODE READERS????!!!!!

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Re: MY LEAF DOES NOT RECOGNIZE OBDII CODE READERS

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:54 pm

LEAF (and most other EVs) is not truly OBDII compliant because it does not burn fuel and generate tailpipe emissions so it is not required to comply with the OBDII standards.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

Dala
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 316851

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:13 am

Does the OBD2 devices light up?

Do you have the car booted, in ready to drive mode?

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:35 am

Dala wrote:Does the OBD2 devices light up?

Do you have the car booted, in ready to drive mode?

Yes, My Leafspy has always worked fine. My regular OBD2 plug-in meter powers up, but cannot connect to read any codes or data... I get error messages that the cable is not connected properly. I tried it with 3 different code readers that work on my ICE cars....

SO... Leafspy seems to be the only game in town to get codes from the Leaf......

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:46 am

LEAF Spy Pro or Nissan's Consult 3+ (what the dealers use) are the only ones I am aware of that will read and clear error codes.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

BlueMapleLeaf
Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2018

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:18 pm

Had a bad experience with my 2018 Leaf. I bought an OBDII scanner on Ebay soon after getting my 2018 SL Leaf. I used it for a bit in the first month and put it aside. Six months later I got an error message show up saying SERVICE EV SYSTEM and a whole bunch of other malfunction lights came on. The dealer said that a processor had fried, and it was a typical issue when you plug in a non-Nissan device to the port.
The car was in the shop for almost a month awaiting the part from Japan. Now I see that the manual, on page 2 specifically says NOT not plug-in a 3rd party device to the data port. Based on what the dealer told me, I would suggest others avoid doing the same. Not worth it!!!!

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:27 pm

BlueMapleLeaf wrote:Had a bad experience with my 2018 Leaf. I bought an OBDII scanner on Ebay soon after getting my 2018 SL Leaf. I used it for a bit in the first month and put it aside. Six months later I got an error message show up saying SERVICE EV SYSTEM and a whole bunch of other malfunction lights came on. The dealer said that a processor had fried, and it was a typical issue when you plug in a non-Nissan device to the port.
The car was in the shop for almost a month awaiting the part from Japan. Now I see that the manual, on page 2 specifically says NOT not plug-in a 3rd party device to the data port. Based on what the dealer told me, I would suggest others avoid doing the same. Not worth it!!!!

There are indeed some OBDII readers that cause problems. There are others that do not. There are a couple of topics on this issue here.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:43 pm

BlueMapleLeaf wrote:Had a bad experience with my 2018 Leaf. I bought an OBDII scanner on Ebay soon after getting my 2018 SL Leaf. I used it for a bit in the first month and put it aside. Six months later I got an error message show up saying SERVICE EV SYSTEM and a whole bunch of other malfunction lights came on. The dealer said that a processor had fried, and it was a typical issue when you plug in a non-Nissan device to the port.

It's saved me hundreds of dollars or more just from being able to clear codes. Well worth it imho. Just take the time to learn from the people who've already found what works.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:55 pm

Disagree with the bolded part.

Not idea what you bought but the two I bought that I mentioned at viewtopic.php?p=506937#p506937 work fine with my current and previous Leaf. Have been using one or the other of them since July 2015.
LeftieBiker wrote: There are indeed some OBDII readers that cause problems. There are others that do not. There are a couple of topics on this issue here.

Yep, like some defective KW-902's (viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23776).

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Lothsahn
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:56 pm

BlueMapleLeaf wrote:The dealer said that a processor had fried, and it was a typical issue when you plug in a non-Nissan device to the port.

This is not typical behavior. I too have had a reader connected for over a year, and saved me hundreds of $$ and untold frustration clearing and fixing issues without having to involve the dealer.

For the benefit of everyone out there, would you mind posting the model number of the ODB reader that caused this problem? People will definitely want to avoid using it.
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”