How to make low beams come on when car starts?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dala

Leaf Supporting Member
I am lazy. I often forget to turn on my headlights for the first few meters I drive. In wintertime not so much, but in summer it can be several kilometers before I remember that I haven't turned on my low beams.

2015 S, USA model

Is there some jumper wire I can add to the low beam circuit, to make it stay ON when the stalk is set to OFF?

I did a similar mod on a Nissan Micra back in the day, but I guess the Leaf's electrical system is more complex.

estomax said:
try here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=6134

Thanks, I'll look into where to splice pin #57 / #18 to the low beam setup!

powersurge said:
Keep on dreaming.... Motivate yourself to move your wrist 1/4 turn 2x/ day.....

The issue is really when someone borrows my car and isn't aware about the lights missing. In EU 90% of cars have the low beams come on automatically. It reduces accidents dramatically!

Dala said:
I am lazy....

I'm even lazier. I just leave my lights on all the time, never turn them off. When I am finished with a trip, the car turns the lights off automatically in about 45 seconds. I have a 2013 S. Maybe the newer Leafs don't do this.

stjohnh said:
Dala said:
I am lazy....

I'm even lazier. I just leave my lights on all the time, never turn them off. When I am finished with a trip, the car turns the lights off automatically in about 45 seconds. I have a 2013 S. Maybe the newer Leafs don't do this.

I agree I drive with them on all the time for safety. My new CRV and a Caddy cts has an "auto" setting. You never touch the lights. They have light sensors and go on by themselves.

My 2013 SV has the auto light setting, so it's really just the S trim that's missing that feature (unless they dropped that feature from later model SVs/SLs, not sure). Pretty simple to add LED DRLs though, took me about 20 minutes for the wiring and another half hour to mount the LED bars where I wanted them.

Dala said:
estomax said:
try here:http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=6134
Thanks, I'll look into where to splice pin #57 / #18 to the low beam setup!

You probably want to use pin #57 to drive a relay, which feeds power to the low beam. Then you'd use a larger wire to power the low beams. This may have the side benefit of making the headlights brighter (many people have commented that the stock headlights seem dim on the Leaf-S).

stjohnh said:
Dala said:
I am lazy....

BRILLIANT low-tech solution. I have resorted to this. My slate grey leaf disappears too much of the time, I like the daytime running light concept, and this solution suits me just fine!!!

Back