Antenna Stolen!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkStar

Just saw this post on GM-Volt.com:

Hey guys, this was my first car with OnStar so maybe I didn't know any better but the antennas simply screw into the base on the roof and are easily stolen. How do I know.....just happened to me, on my birthday no less...happy birthday to me! Chevy said it happens quite a bit and it's basically another 'hood ornament' to take. Getting another one costs 45 bucks and there is no way to secure it they said. I understand the design can't really be changed because the modular design is actually designed to reduce cost for an owner if there is an antenna problem but looks like it's gonna end up costing me money. Very pissed....more about first hand knowledge that there are idiots who will take anything out there. Keep an eye out on craigslist or ebay for me and pm me if anything pops up.....can't be too many floating around just yet as there's only a few of us on the road so far. Thanks and heads up!

Checking the service manual, I found that the antenna on the LEAF just screws on too. I would probably suggest that owners check to make sure their antennas are firmly screwed down to discourage theft... Hopefully this isn't a common issue!

DarkStar said:
Checking the service manual, I found that the antenna on the LEAF just screws on too. I would probably suggest that owners check to make sure their antennas are firmly screwed down to discourage theft... Hopefully this isn't a common issue!

Just as well ours are kinda ugly then! :lol:

Hmmm... Thanks for the tip. Perhaps tamper-resistant screws are in order (the kind with the post in the middle), like these:

Picture%2018.jpg

http://tamperproof.com/categories/torx-pin-head.html

What size/type are the current screws?

Bill

evnow said:
I suggest changing the title to say Volt's antenna - and the same can happen to Leaf.
+1 (at first I assumed it was a LEAF's antenna being talked about)

The LEAF's antenna just begs to be grabbed, with the little blue knob on top :p Kinda dorky looking, but I wouldn't be surprised if some end up missing nonetheless.

All the car antennas I know of (except maybe the retracting ones) simply screw in as well. I wonder how prevalent antenna thievery is in general...

Back