Buzzing sound when charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prberg

I was curious if anyone else has heard this sound. When charging my LEAF I noticed a sound coming from under the hood. The sound is pretty faint when listening from the outside, but if I pop the hood and take a listen I heard a decently loud humming/buzzing sound. Is that normal? I thought the charger was back under the rear seat... so what could be making this sound? I thought maybe the inverter, but it seems to be coming from the rear of the inverter. I was charging in my friends garage today and it seemed to be louder. Maybe because it was warmer in his garage and was an enclosed space, vs. my driveway which is out in the open?

Just wondering if this sound is normal or if there could be something wrong. Thanks!

-Peter

There would normally be two variable, possibly intermittant noises:
(these should be "whirring" or "humming", not "buzzing" sounds)

1. a (variable speed) coolant pump (pair) to circulate coolant through the rear charger, at least when cooling is needed.

2. a (variable speed) fan near the radiator would turn on if the coolant gets too warm.

I hear the coolant pump running each time I charge of course but have yet to experience the fan coming on. Perhaps when it is warmer in summer...

garygid said:
There would normally be two variable, possibly intermittant noises:
(these should be "whirring" or "humming", not "buzzing" sounds)

1. a (variable speed) coolant pump (pair) to circulate coolant through the rear charger, at least when cooling is needed.

2. a (variable speed) fan near the radiator would turn on if the coolant gets too warm.

The buzzing sound is normal as described above. My husband has extensive EV experience and was really, really surprised at how quiet the charging cooling was and told me he expects it will get much louder in the summertime.

Back