Navigation maps show all Phoenix trailer parks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozgeekaz

I don't know if this is a local problem with the maps in Phoenix. I can't find an option to stop the maps from showing every single Trailer Park. Who knew there were so many trailer parks during my 5 mile commute. There are like 20 of them.

The annoyance is worse since the font used to show the trailer parks is larger than the font used to display street names and often the Trailer Park name will displace the street name.

Tried every option on the navigation menus to remove these map labels, but can't find anything that works.

Anyone have a similar problem?

Suggestions on how to remove this would be wonderful.

ozgeekaz said:
I don't know if this is a local problem with the maps in Phoenix. I can't find an option to stop the maps from showing every single Trailer Park. Who knew there were so many trailer parks during my 5 mile commute. There are like 20 of them.

The annoyance is worse since the font used to show the trailer parks is larger than the font used to display street names and often the Trailer Park name will displace the street name.

Tried every option on the navigation menus to remove these map labels, but can't find anything that works.

Anyone have a similar problem?

Suggestions on how to remove this would be wonderful.

Do you see any options to remove/show like grocery stores or anything of the sort? It could be a little box to check/uncheck.

Jim asked me to take a look at this issue, and I will as soon as I pick up the car from the shop. I'll let you know if I have the same issue.

Just to confirm. I've turned off all mapping features like shopping, atm, hotels etc. These were all unchecked to see if this would prevent the trailer parks from showing.

Jim at ABC Nissan has been sent some images of the maps to see what we're dealing with here in Phoenix. We talked about this on Saturday when he called to let me know of the Climate Control issue with the March cars. I pondered whether someone in accessing a mapping database saw the word Park in a list of features and decided to enable it in the default map data. That would make sense if they were intending to show public parks on the maps as a point of reference. I did notice there were some parks showing on the maps too.

My biggest concern is there is limited screen space, and using all this to show trailer parks when it would be way more helpful to upcoming cross streets. Here's a shot showing my morning commute showing about 7 trailer parks.

It would be nice to see more cross street labels. Now, they are visible when you zoom in but this is probably not what Nissan would have intended.

IMG00067-20110404-0850.jpg

Here's some more images that I shared with Jim at ABC Nissan.
These images where taken with all the map features turned off.
You can see some cross streets appearing when you zoom in to 1/4 mile or less.
IMG00062-20110401-1335.jpg

IMG00063-20110401-1335.jpg

IMG00065-20110401-1338.jpg

IMG00066-20110401-1339.jpg

IMG00067-20110404-0850.jpg

Here's what you get when you try and reset the Navigation by removing the mapping SD card. (Reminds me of the Blue Screen of Death).
IMG00061-20110401-1333.jpg

ozgeekaz said:
Trailer Park = Charging Opportunities ?

I'm not sure about the charging opportunities of Trailer Parks. Maybe that's where Ecotality plan their first Fast Charging stations in Phoenix...

Still, I'd like to know if anyone else has noticed this with their mapping systems, or is my car an exception?

I thought they call 'em "Mobile Homes" now days ... so as to sound more hoytie toytie. Maybe that expression will be phased out on the next mapping database generation.
:mrgreen:

I have noticed that very few street names are shown, but "geographic area" names tend to be displayed. Presumably your trailer parks are considered to be "geographic areas". There might be a setting somewhere to turn off these "area" names.

Parks, shopping centers, malls, cemeteries, cities, towns, gated communities, and even subdivisions MIGHT be all in this "Named Area" category, and not really a POI category at all?

I can confirm I've turned off any and all view options on the mapping menus that would show any type of feature/traffic/atm/hotels/parks/atms etc. I set these disabled these options specifically.

So I'm guessing by the replies that no one else is experiencing this abundance of trailer parks in the mapping.

Can anyone confirm that it's just a Phoenix phenomenon?

Either that or perhaps I just have a bad map data chip that had trailer parks selected to show as default.

ozgeekaz said:
I can confirm I've turned off any and all view options on the mapping menus that would show any type of feature/traffic/atm/hotels/parks/atms etc. I set these disabled these options specifically.

So I'm guessing by the replies that no one else is experiencing this abundance of trailer parks in the mapping.

Can anyone confirm that it's just a Phoenix phenomenon?

Either that or perhaps I just have a bad map data chip that had trailer parks selected to show as default.

You are luck you weren't in Apache Junction....... ;)
I haven't seen any issues with mine but the maps are pretty useless to me in town.

I drove down 12th Street to Camelback over the weekend and we looked at the nav screens specifically to see if we have the same problem - and we do....it appears as if many of the subdivision names are appearing on the screens (Coulter Park is also listed and it is just a housing development). These names do tend to take up a ton of real estate and many of the street names are obliterated by them.

Seems like a weird problem - we didn't find any way to turn off those labels - everything that could be turned off was turned off.

cyellen, thanks for the confirmation. At least we now know it's not a one-off case with my nav data.

I know it's a minor issue, just an annoyance really, but I do find myself turning off the navigation as a result of the information displayed on the maps. Upcoming cross streets should be given priority over 'Parks' and or development names in the mapping display.

My family is visiting from Australia this week, and instead of using the nav system in the car to help them find there way around Phoenix, I find myself giving explicit driving instructions.

With all the cool technology in the Leaf, the data in the Nav system just seems a little disappointing to me. Especially given the other trouble people have experienced with out-dated mapping in their area, or duplicate data for cities in others.

Seems like Nissan could have omitted the trail-park and duplicate city information to make room for some of the missing street details.

Back