LEAF charges to 100% while precooling

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kolmstead

Ridgecrest, California (100 miles east of Bakersfi
I always charge to 80%, using an end of charge timer. On Friday, I decided to see if my LEAF s/n 257 would have problems after precooling, as the March delivery cars do. I've never precooled before, but I routinely use preheat. I connected the EVSE so that the a/c could draw full power.

It was only about 90 F out, so the a/c didn't run continuously. Easy to tell when it was running; I could hear it 100 feet away. After an hour of precooling, I disconnected the car and put it away under my carport. As noted elsewhere, it didn't exhibit the a/c problem.

To my surprise, the car was now charged to 100%. I checked the timer; it was still active and set to 80% charge. I'm guessing that since the a/c didn't need the full 3.7 kW that the car draws while charging, the balance was dumped into the battery. Not a big deal, but I would be annoyed if I planned to precool every day, and my battery charged to 100% every day as a result. I'm trying to do everything that I can to prolong battery life; the car will be exposed to 110 degrees all summer anyway.

-Karl

Back