No Heat!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBELEAF

Ok, I think I figured everything out about the car, but I can't I figure out how to turn on heat. I mean, it shows 90 degrees, but the cold air is blowing. Is there any trick to it or should I get in touch with the dealer?

IBELEAF said:
Ok, I think I figured everything out about the car, but I can't I figure out how to turn on heat. I mean, it shows 90 degrees, but the cold air is blowing. Is there any trick to it or should I get in touch with the dealer?
How long have you waited ?

It will take about 5 minutes ... (not timed, just feels like that)

Is the heater a classic liquid core type, or a resistive coil (glorified hair dryer) ?

Seems like a long time to wait...

First you guys want A/C, now you want heat. What's next? :D

Since the heater is electric - it should give you heat within a few minutes - of course driving shouldn't be necessary as there is no motor to heat up.

Any chance you had the A/C patch applied? Wonder if that faulty sensor that is supposed to be the cause of the A/C issue is part of the heating system too?

Heat takes awhile. It has to heat liquid, etc.

And ECO mode means the heater is also in ECO mode...Look at your energy usage screen and see how much the climate control is drawing when you're trying to get heat. It can draw as much as 3.5kw or so...

IBELEAF said:
I drove about 20 miles with no heat at all... it's 35 degrees now, so it was freezing

Try this. Set the temperature to 70 (or whatever) - and click auto (climate). It should heatup within 5 minutes. If not you have a defective heating system.

@IBELEAF
Man, I am so sorry you are having problems right out of the gate!
Didn't you pick her up today?

My wife and I have a running joke.
When she starts fiddling with the radio stations and nav screens in the Prius, I trace my finger around the center controls and the dash and remind her that those are the "captain's" controls, and direct her to the glove boxes - the Navigator's station.
Subsequently, my wife (a red belt in karate) has perfected the "A** Punch". :lol:

IBELEAF said:

Setting the heat to 90 the air on high with eco mode off you should get plenty of heat within a few minutes. Also your heater should take 4.5kw on high with eco off.

There was a report a while back from someone who also had a heat problem caused by something jamming the pump. If it pulls full current for a few moments and then drops way back, you may have a similiar problem.

IBELEAF said:
Tried preheating from the carwings, still not no heat...

Hello,
MY precondition heating initiated by carwings has stopped working this week, dang it's 38* outside.
Conditions:
1. No blink timer.
2. Leaf set to 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM 80% charge.
3. I receive 2~3 "charging stopped @ 10 of 12 bars" emails during the night.
4. Carwings gives the "Climate control now running off of charger" message.
5. Update status shows it is on.
6. I unplug the car to leave.

When I get in the car it's cold then I turn on the car and the CC comes on full blast. Never enough time in the morning to troubleshoot.

The LEAF heat system is an old design and quite inefficient, that being said if you turn on the heat to 90 and there is not a high load on the climate screen and no heat after 5-7 minutes you likely need a new water pump. It may peak up and then shut off quickly and that would be the cause, mine was DOA for heat and that is what I found and I took it to the dealer and they replaced the pump after I informed them it was the issue. Likely something jammed in the impeller.

evnow said:
Dealers aren't doing their job if they didn't check the heater before delivery.

Well they may have if they kept the car overnight, but the let me take it the same day they got it which didn't give them time to check anything other then clean it and charge it.

bowthom said:
Hello,
MY precondition heating initiated by carwings has stopped working this week, dang it's 38* outside.
Conditions:
1. No blink timer.
2. Leaf set to 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM 80% charge.
3. I receive 2~3 "charging stopped @ 10 of 12 bars" emails during the night.
4. Carwings gives the "Climate control now running off of charger" message.
5. Update status shows it is on.
6. I unplug the car to leave.

When I get in the car it's cold then I turn on the car and the CC comes on full blast. Never enough time in the morning to troubleshoot.
My morning preconditioning has been functioning properly.

1. Using Blink timer (10pm to 6:30am)
2. No Leaf charge timer. CC timer set for departure at 6:30am (ends up starting by 6:05am).
3. Unplug car.
4. Wife and I hop into a toasty warm car with 100% SOC.

Back