Panic Button on fob is too sensitive

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafygreen

It seems very easy to set off the panic alarm when you have the key fob in your pocket.
I've set it off when leaning up against something or even just bending over for a bit.
On other key fobs this button seems to be a little smaller and/or recessed so it's harder
to set off accidentally. Anyone else having this problem or are my pockets too tight?

I've had the panic alarm go off when I was showing my LEAF to a local newspaper reporter. Embarassing. I need bigger pants.

This seems to be a common problem on both Toyota and Nissan fobs.

I've had good luck opening the fob case and REMOVING the plastic panic button.
Underneath is usually a rubber button with the contact, and removing the plastic adds a little bit of 'recess' while keeping the weather seal.

One could also disable it altogether by putting a piece of tape over the contacts on the circuit board.

I hate those panic alarm buttons. Who thinks this is a good idea?

GroundLoop said:
Well of course this never happened to me but I've heard that the alarm can help find your car in a crowded parking lot... :cool:

HIOJim said:
GroundLoop said:
Well of course this never happened to me but I've heard that the alarm can help find your car in a crowded parking lot... :cool:

is there any other purpose?? (I assume it's intended for when you "panic" when you can't locate your car... :) )

i have had mine go off one time and was not even sure why because it was in my coat pocket which was loose. as far as finding my Leaf, i find the blue color to be very distinctive and easy to spot

Randy3 said:
I've had the panic alarm go off when I was showing my LEAF to a local newspaper reporter. Embarassing. I need bigger pants.

Embarassing? With it's massive-sounding stock horn? hahahahahahaha I would expect the reporter to say something like "How cute!"

:oops:

GroundLoop said:
This seems to be a common problem on both Toyota and Nissan fobs.

I've had good luck opening the fob case and REMOVING the plastic panic button.
Underneath is usually a rubber button with the contact, and removing the plastic adds a little bit of 'recess' while keeping the weather seal.

One could also disable it altogether by putting a piece of tape over the contacts on the circuit board.

I usually drizzle a little superglue around the button. If I ready need it I can crach through the glue, but I don't set off the alarm accidentally. Some brands fobs have the button where it is right by the connection to the key ring. If on a tight ring with other fobs there is a lever action against he panic button. So paying attention to the geometry of what is on your ring may help.

mwalsh said:
leafygreen said:
Anyone else having this problem or are my pockets too tight?

Must be your skinny jeans. :lol: No problem like that for me. But then, I haven't been able to wear skinny jeans since I was like 19.
Problem is, baggy pants lend their self to crack exposure ... and no one want to witness that.
:shock:
Yea . . . . I've set off the alarm 5 or 6 times in as many weeks ~ only to realize the pants pockets were bunching up around the fob while seated.

Since I haven't yet had to use any of the buttons on the fob for anything, I wish someone would make a snap-on plastic cover for the face of the fob. The way the sides of the fob are curved from front to back it shouldn't be difficult to come up with plastic that has a bit of give so it could snap on, yet a shape that would hang on tight.

I browsed a bit and found "covers" that add leather or bright colors around the fob but still let you use (or accidentally misuse) the buttons, but I didn't find anything that would shield the buttons from being pushed. Am I the only person who never wants the buttons to do anything? I've carried a Prius smart key for years and never used its buttons.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Since I haven't yet had to use any of the buttons on the fob for anything, I wish someone would make a snap-on plastic cover for the face of the fob. The way the sides of the fob are curved from front to back it shouldn't be difficult to come up with plastic that has a bit of give so it could snap on, yet a shape that would hang on tight. I browsed a bit and found "covers" that add leather or bright colors around the fob but still let you use (or accidentally misuse) the buttons, but I didn't find anything that would shield the buttons from being pushed. Am I the only person who never wants the buttons to do anything? I've carried a Prius smart key for years and never used its buttons.
Ray

+1! Please let me know if you find something. Thanks!

For those that virtually never need to use the buttons:
A cross sectionof vinyl tubing that fits over the key fob? Tacky but tighter fitting like the jeans could be a layer pr two of cereal box cardboard wrapped around the fob and that wrapped electrical tape (LEAF blue colored tape of course!).

Ahhh.. also tacky but effective - large diameter heavy duty heat shrink tubing! Selective shrinking by not shrinking it all uniformly or making a small cutout would allow to still push the button when you're really determined to.

One other "Quick fix" rather than super glue is a key fob cover, usually rubber designed to "slip" over the fob and also protect it! Cheap and probably better than super glue!
:D

If you want one email me and I will get you one as cheap as I can from us or possibly direct from the manuf. I am the Sales Mgr. at Jim Keras Nissan in Memphis, Tn and a Leaf owner in waiting so I will do what I can for my fellow EV brothers! ([email protected])

Here's the website for the fob (is it an F33?) covers courtesy of the parts guy in TN: http://www.thejacketstore.com/servlet/the-191/Nissan-Intelligent-Key-Cover/Detail

The root of my problem may be that I carry a pocket knife in the same pocket as my keys. Occasionally the blunt end of the pocket knife may end up "butting" against a button. The cover you show wouldn't solve that problem, at least not at first blush. However, if you were to invert the cover, so the holes for the buttons were on the side of the fob that has no buttons, it might just do the trick.

Ray

I thought this was a silly topic but just yesterday I was working around the house and heard this sound. At first I thought it was the TV, and then realized it was something else. Followed the sound and finally realized it was my Leaf in the garage honking away. We'll see if it was a fluke or something that I'll have to find a solution for.

What's this panic button you speak of? Can you post a picture? :| :?:

All I have on mine is a lock and unlock button:

attachment.php

http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.php/2034-How-many-Intelligent-Keys-come-with-the-LEAF?p=5214&viewfull=1#post5214

I bought one of these rubber covers for my LEAF-fob from a local dealer just a few days ago ($5.95 + $0.52 tax).

Getting the small opening of the rubber cover over the much larger body of the fob was difficult, ...
but then the cute, young sales-girl said, "Here, I can do that for you.", and ...
well, how did she learn to do that? :D

To keep the buttons from being pushed, cut a strip of thin, somewhat flexible, clear plastic (like that used in "blister" packaging), about as wide as the buttons, round both ends, and slide it in under the rubber cover, over the buttons, from the open "key" end. Leave enough length of the strip sticking out so that you can easily remove the strip whenever necessary.

Depending upon the thickness (stiffness) of the strip, you could still press the buttons (with much more pressure), or not press the buttons at all until the strip is pulled out.

LeafTalk said:
What's this panic button you speak of? Can you post a picture?

You can see it on the fob cover website:
http://www.thejacketstore.com/servlet/the-191/Nissan-Intelligent-Key-Cover/Detail
(the speaker with lightning bolts coming out of it :D )

I guess the British never panic?

Back