No longer able to access "owners" page from Android phone

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbarry42

The one useful page I've been using from my phone is the one that tells you the state of charge and allows you to "hit the charge button" remotely. It is generally accessible via the URL https://www.nissanusa.com/owners although I have about a dozen similar routes that all seem to go to the login page for that feature.

So, a few days ago--over the weekend when everyone was reporting Carwings being down--I was suddenly greeted with the Nissan's all-singing, all-dancing home page. As well as some nasty comments about how I needed javascript and Flash and so on. I initially thought maybe Carwings had gone down so that they could "improve" it. There's no way I've been able to get back to the proper "owners" page.

Yet, my wife has the identical phone to mine, and the old page works just fine for her. I'll spare you three pages or so of all the hacking I've done to try to remedy it; I'll say that the best clue I have is that if I disable cookies, I can get to the login page, only to have it act as if I didn't enter anything. I found another "way in" (there's a "Owners Page" button on the "electric-car" page), but those attempts result in one of those "your browser has made an invalid request that the server doesn't understand" errors. As soon as I enable cookies, I immediately get redirected to http://www.nissanusa.com

Best I can tell, if I could delete the cookie associated with the site, I could maybe get back in. I don't think I have any choice other than "delete everything", which would destroy access to all my other favorite sites. Better would be to find an "access the mobile site" button. The owner's page login does have an "access the full site" button which I could have fat-fingered originally. A button to go the other way would be great. Haven't found one. The phone is the original Google Phone, with Donut (Android 1.6)

I realize this is a might specific problem, but as you can see it's driving me bonkers.

Thanks.
-------
How many flash+javascript programmers does it take to press a button?

I've been complaining to them because on my Palm Pre, no matter what I do, the site forces me to the mobile version home page with no way to access the owners portal...even with a direct link, it redirects. It used to work fine. Pisses me off.

gbarry42 said:
Best I can tell, if I could delete the cookie associated with the site, I could maybe get back in. I don't think I have any choice other than "delete everything", which would destroy access to all my other favorite sites.
I had that problem at one point and deleting all the cookies is what I did to solve it. It won't "destroy" access to your other sites. At the most, you'll have to log into them again. I dump cookies occasionally just to keep the cruft out.

I got in with my OG Droid, but your phone and mine, though both Android, are a world apart:

1. You're on 1.6 (wow!) with a Nexus One (I guess--that's the original Google phone, far as I know); I'm on a Moto Droid running CyanogenMod7 nightly v85 (e.g., Gingerbread).
2. I've got CM's version of the stock browser, which adds the ability to specify user agent--I have mine set to Mac Desktop. Last I'd looked when I had stock Froyo, the Google browser didn't have that feature.
3. I've got flash installed, so sites that require flash don't cause an issue. I've got my browser set to allow me to select when to download/play swf's, so I don't take the performance hit unless I want to (they show as big empty boxes with a green arrow within which I click to play).

So...upgrade that phone to at least 2.2, Froyo (heck, if that's a Nexus 1, you could take that all the way to 2.3.x, Gingerbread). Then install the DolphinHD browser if the regular browser doesn't allow you to specify user agent, set that to some variant of desktop, install flash, and you're good to go.

You may have missed the part where LMW can get in from her phone...and it's the same phone. It's the HTC-1. I don't think it has enough memory to support the 2.+ versions of Android. And if it does, it wouldn't have any left over for, you know, applications or data.

She originally wanted me to "improve" her phone, but while getting root access looked straightforward enough, I never could figure out which of all those ROM images to use. Info seemed sketchy.

Oddly enough, the move to some new phones is being delayed while we wait to see what Nissan is going to provide for us Android users. I'll leave the witty remarks on that to someone else...

@davewill, for brevity, I kind of replaced a paragraph with the word "destroy", but you're correct. Maybe I'll do that. Then I get to find out which passwords I've forgotten.

I feel better knowing I'm not alone here.

gbarry42 said:
You may have missed the part where LMW can get in from her phone...and it's the same phone. It's the HTC-1. I don't think it has enough memory to support the 2.+ versions of Android. And if it does, it wouldn't have any left over for, you know, applications or data.

What he means is that it was the first Android phone. It's an HTC g1, T-Mo., and yes 1.6 is as far as it go without rooting it, which would be fine with me! Better yet, which phone would you get today? Or would you wait? I returned a Vibrant Galaxy, loved the screen, but couldn't "click" a web link with my fat finger (and it isn't that fat!) to save my life and insufficient battery life.

gbarry42 said:
You may have missed the part where LMW can get in from her phone...and it's the same phone.
Saw that, and in thinking "the first Google Phone" meant Nexus 1, that she might've had a more advanced version of Android. My bad.

The G-1 is another story--indeed, you're hard pressed to go much further with it. That said, you might be able to load a different browser on it--one that will let you select user agent--and see if that helps. Assuming you have enough memory, that is (I'm always concerned about RAM with my Droid, too). Of course, you can clear all your cookies as well, but I don't see how that gets you past the "you need Flash" stuff--or maybe that won't apply?

gbarry42 said:
She originally wanted me to "improve" her phone, but while getting root access looked straightforward enough, I never could figure out which of all those ROM images to use. Info seemed sketchy.
Rooting it might prove valuable not so much to load different ROMs, but to delete any "system" apps you don't want (e.g., bloatware--did the G-1 have HTC Sense?). Not sure if there's much of that on the G-1, however.

gbarry42 said:
Oddly enough, the move to some new phones is being delayed while we wait to see what Nissan is going to provide for us Android users. I'll leave the witty remarks on that to someone else...
Hey, I'm the guy who tweeted back "Where's the android app?" at @NissanLEAF when they said the iPhone app is out! They said "Coming soon!" -- kinda like my Leaf, I guess.

I still love my Droid, and would be sticking with it for some time, but, oddly enough, I won a Samsung Droid Charge 4G phone that Verizon was giving away as part of the phone's launch! Should be here tomorrow (yes, something else that will beat my Leaf's arrival). I wouldn't have bought the Charge, but for free--I'll give it a shot.

gbarry42 said:
I feel better knowing I'm not alone here.
Definitely not.

lonndoggie said:
Of course, you can clear all your cookies as well, but I don't see how that gets you past the "you need Flash" stuff--or maybe that won't apply?
It won't apply. The problem here is that once you access the full site, it sets a cookie that directs you there...with no way to navigate back to the mobile site. Once he clears his cookies, the redirect will send him to the mobile site again. I purposely tried the full desktop site to get this problem, it sounds like it was the site being partially down that caused gbarry42 to end up at the full site. Either way, you can't get back to the mobile site...it's a design flaw. My NookColor went by default to the full site (and had the same flash problems), and I had to do as you suggested and use a different browser that would let me change the user-agent to access the mobile one.

If they would enable a mobile-specific URL or link, the whole problem would go away.

I've found the entire Nissan Leaf site to be all kinds of klutzy and 2001-flash-based.
Don't tell me the owner's page is as bad!? If I can't actually get the remote control they've been promising on my Android I'll be quite upset. (2.2, Spring Evo Shift 4G, pretty happy with it)

I mean, why would anyone develop a webapp this day and age that doesn't just work with all browsers?
Like facebook, or twitter, or google, or quora, or stackoverflow, or ...

It's almost as if the marketing people were in charge of building the actual user-facing features. Scary thought!

No problem here--just got the Moto Atrix 4G. Both full and mobile sites available.
Would still like to see an Android App.
Signed up to be a beta tester for ChargePoint Android App but AT&T won't let me install it :(

hmm, just tried it on my Moto X on verizon and it still works fine.

429.jpg

Moto X will be coming out with gingerbread. verizon will start pushing it the 27th. you can manually download it starting the 1st.

apps/settings/about phone/system updates

Oh I know WAY too well what the story is. The Adobe/java/crap company is horrible when it comes to supporting most all mobile OS's. Your can read on their site how much they brag about how they're getting their act together. But that's why many devices have separate apps to run stuff like youtube and the like. On the one hand, Adobe wanted their platform(s) to run the world, but on the other hand, now that they're getting closer to getting their wish, they have tons of issues ... from security to compatability.
Thanks for THAT Adobe.

I run into the same issue (but it's not just with Nissan's website) where you have a link to a direct page, but you get redirected to their "mobile" version and have no way to disable it... it's annoying to say the least.

It reminds me of the following XKCD;

server_attention_span.png

TNleaf said:
I run into the same issue (but it's not just with Nissan's website) where you have a link to a direct page, but you get redirected to their "mobile" version and have no way to disable it... it's annoying to say the least.

It reminds me of the following XKCD;

server_attention_span.png

i get that too from links to FB, etc. but i have stored links to FB as favorites and they go the the regular site. i would try manually typing in the link or removing the "M" from the url

DaveinOlyWA said:
i get that too from links to FB, etc. but i have stored links to FB as favorites and they go the the regular site. i would try manually typing in the link or removing the "M" from the url

Your method works with some sites, but on others, you end up in an infinite loop.

Ex; www./<link to news article or page> Aft...ge and server setup to handle mobile devices.

when i goto Nissan link on my phone, it has full site link at bottom of page which how the site has always worked. the facebook thing has only been redirecting for a few months

Back