Anyone notice a buzzing noise while braking?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intrepion

I tend to notice it when I'm stopped at a red light and there's this low pitched buzzing sound after several seconds of hitting the brakes. It lasts about half a second, then repeats every several seconds. It doesn't stop immediately when I start going again, but it does stop after accelerating for several seconds.

Anyone else having this happen?

More than likely this is the vacuum pump for the breaks. You can test this by going to a quiet area, like in your garage etc with the windows down. Then with the car on, pump the breaks with it in park, you will hear the buzz when the vacuum pump comes on then it will turn off when it gets enough vacuum built back up.
My Ranger does the exact same thing, but it is very loud compared to the Leaf's pump. There are a few videos of the Ford Focus EV that you can hear the same loud vacuum pump that is in my Ranger in the Focus.

Just to clarify, the Leaf does not use a vacuum booster brake system, it uses an electric motor built in to the brake cylinder assembly. There is a super capacity in the back near the charger that provides backup power in case of a total electrical failure. This is all documented in the service manual.

TurboFroggy said:
More than likely this is the vacuum pump for the breaks. You can test this by going to a quiet area, like in your garage etc with the windows down. Then with the car on, pump the breaks with it in park, you will hear the buzz when the vacuum pump comes on then it will turn off when it gets enough vacuum built back up.
My Ranger does the exact same thing, but it is very loud compared to the Leaf's pump. There are a few videos of the Ford Focus EV that you can hear the same loud vacuum pump that is in my Ranger in the Focus.

Back