LCD in main console with inactive vertical stripe

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robcomptec

I haven't seen any posts about having the LCD in the main instrument console having problems, so I thought I'd share my problem.

The LCD in the main instrument console has a broken vertical stripe, where the pixels are not being controlled.

leaf-broken-lcd-L.jpg

I will be working with a Nissan dealership to get this fixed.

Speculation:

I plugged in the car to its Ecotality charger while it was within the
Ecotality 'charge window' of 12:00am to 5:00am,
but before Leaf's timer charge window was started, which is 12:10am to 5:00am.
I saw the charge lights oscillating, and so I pressed the 'bypass
charging timer' button within the car.
I am thinking that this caused a surge that caused damage to this LCD.

robcomptec said:
Speculation:

I plugged in the car to its Ecotality charger while it was within the Ecotality 'charge window' of 12:00am to 5:00am.
I saw the oscillating charge lights, and so I pressed the 'bypass charging timer' button within the car.
I am thinking that this caused a surge that caused damage to this LCD...
That's a completely normal use of the timer override button and shouldn't cause a "surge" any more than any other way of starting a charge cycle.

No, this is not related to any sort of surge. Not that you could even cause a surge of electrical power given what you explained. The vehicle electronics are very much isolated from the charger anyway.

The LCD is faulty. It happens on it's own. This happens more than you think.

LCDs are accessed on an X/Y basis. This kind of failure is caused by one of the address lines dying. It happens. Nothing that you or the car did would account for it. It's simply infant mortality...

Back