AM radio poor reception

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrys3255

I just picked up my Leaf several days ago. I am finding that the AM radio reception is very poor. E.g. I cannot get a station I listen to all the time in my Honda - 1050.

Any Suggestions?

Larry

You could try the same thing that we did with our Acura. Replace the antenna with one from a Mazda 3. It should be a direct screw on replacement since the Leaf has the same thread as the Acura, and it makes all the difference in the world on the Acura. The laws of physics simply don't favor radio reception at those frequencies with such a short antenna, amplifier or not. You'll also find that FM is also better if the Acura is any indication.

Note that I have not yet done this to our Leaf but since the antenna mount and thread is the same as the Acura, it should work fine. However, the antenna on the Leaf is more vertical than on the Acura, so if you have a clearance problem in your garage, you might want to check out the clearance first with a test measurement... The stock antenna is 8" long and this one is 16" long. YMMV of course!

larrys3255 said:
I just picked up my Leaf several days ago. I am finding that the AM radio reception is very poor. E.g. I cannot get a station I listen to all the time in my Honda - 1050.

Any Suggestions?

Larry

mogur said:
Yep, the same thing we did with our Acura. Replace the antenna with one from a Mazda 3. It's a direct screw on replacement and makes all the difference in the world. The laws of physics simply don't favor radio reception at those frequencies with such a short antenna, amplifier or not. You'll also find that FM is better.

[/quote-]
--------------------------------------
Nice find. How long is the Mazda 3 antenna?

I got it from these folks. It is about 16" long and is spiral wound to coil load it and make it electrically longer.

http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/products/Mazda/Mazda-3/ROD-ANTENNA/1877151/GM9A66A30.html

gasmiser1 said:
mogur said:
Yep, the same thing we did with our Acura. Replace the antenna with one from a Mazda 3. It's a direct screw on replacement and makes all the difference in the world. The laws of physics simply don't favor radio reception at those frequencies with such a short antenna, amplifier or not. You'll also find that FM is better.

mogur said:
I got it from these folks. It is about 16" long and is spiral wound to coil load it and make it electrically longer.

http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/products/Mazda/Mazda-3/ROD-ANTENNA/1877151/GM9A66A30.html

gasmiser1 said:
mogur said:

Nice mod. :)
Do you have a pic of how it looks on the roof of the Leaf?

Can you describe the step-by-step of how you would install it?
BTW, do you need the Mazda antenna base or just the antenna alone will fit into the Leaf's base ?

Here is the pic of the stock Leaf stubby antenna:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43375161@N00/5015893220/in/set-72157624888545047/

Thx.

No, all you need is the antenna itself since it screws on to the existing base. As I said earlier, however, I have not yet actually done this on my Leaf, just the Acura, so it is theoretical at this point...
When I get a chance, I'll do a test fit of it on the Leaf and report back definitively.

mxp said:
BTW, do you need the Mazda antenna base or just the antenna alone will fit into the Leaf's base ?

Here is what the replacement antenna looks like on the Acura. Forgive the focus as the point and shoot apparently liked the background better...

kafvat.jpg

I purchased the Mazda antenna and found that it screwed onto the Leaf base, but that it does not go down to the bottom and leaves a space. My radio reception is about the same as with the original Leaf antenna.

Larry

Back