Weird Alarm

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick0101

I had a weird thing happen yesterday. Whenever I hit even a small bump, there was an alarm beep, a red triangle near the trees would come on and then go off, and a quick top view picture of the car would flash on the driver's screen. The car picture disappeared before I could see what it was trying to tell me. This was annoying and kept happening (when I changed lanes or cornered...).

I pulled over to check things. I think it was happening because the rear hatch was not completely closed.

They had a test for the case for the door being opened or closed but not for the sensor to be bounced like this. If the image would have stayed on the driver's screen for more than a quarter second, I might have seen why it was alerting me.

patrick0101 said:
I pulled over to check things. I think it was happening because the rear hatch was not completely closed.
Yep, left my hatch ajar one day and had the same thing happen. Closed it completely and all was good in the world! :D

The side doors open are EASY to see on the car-outline top-view, but the rear-hatch open condition is MUCH more subtle, even if the "picture" (outline) of the car stays there. :D

I had intended to post the same story. "First Day With Me Leaf" [1]. This was my first trip to work--first Leaf trip ever, aside from the drive home from the dealer--and I couldn't figure out what the car was upset about. The dealer had explained that when there was an alarm, that there would be another corresponding indicator to tell me what it didn't like. I was looking all over for some indication. Only this picture of a car in the middle of the display. I'd never seen it before, of course, so I didn't know if it was normally there or not. I got a good look at it--no doors open. The only unusual looking thing was this white bar across the rear. So, you guessed it; that is the rear hatch indication. But here I was, thinking, "Maybe I'm accelerating too fast?" (It did sort of follow acceleration). "Maybe it wants me to use Eco mode?" I was trying all sorts of things. It did react to bumps, brakes, turns, etc., but not in any predictable way.

I also failed the Idiot Test. This was about a month after the April firmware update, when the A/C system was tripping some electrical fault. And the word on the MNL street was, that if you ever saw that red triangle you were supposed to pull over, park the car, call the dealer, and maybe run away as fast as possible...I kept driving, trying to work out what it was. When I tried the hatch, it was the only reasonable thing I could come up with. But you're right-- " :oops: " pretty much describes it.

[1] parody of "First Day With Me Hook"

gbarry42 said:
I had intended to post the same story. "First Day With Me Leaf"
This same thing happened to my wife on her way home from the dealer after picking up her Leaf. She had no idea why the car was angry with her and the warnings were flashing. Luckily, it was only 5 miles, and the car made it home without blowing up. She sat down with the manual and tried to figure out what the warning meant. All she could find was that it could be any of a number of things listed, so she went through them one by one. Opening and closing the rear hatch solved it. Somehow, during the walk-thru at the dealer, the hatch had been closed but not tightly latched before she left. It made for a nervous drive home, but a learning experience.

The only other weird warning experience she has had was when she took her 85-lb. mother out for the first time in it and she got a dashboard warning that the passenger side airbag was disabled. Her mom was sitting kind of upright in the seat and not leaning back very hard, and the car apparently thought she was a child and automatically disabled the airbag for her seat!

TT

Back