mxp
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

EV system warning light. What may have cause it?

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:45 am

Hi Leafers,

After slightly over 1.5 mths of driving my car, today I experienced my first anomaly with my Leaf.

I had the EV system warning light come upon starting up the car. (Page 2-16 of the manual). It is the yellow car icon with an exclamation mark in the center of that icon.

Not sure if it is caused by the Blink if at all which is currently on fw version 1.7A.

The car had 80% charge originally from the last charging but the car itself had NOT been driven or started up in 2 days. Last night, it was plugged in, and timer charging commenced at its designated time. The timer for yesterday would charge up to 100%. This is the normal programming for our use.

Received a Blink SMS mesg at 6am that charging had suddenly stopped.

Started up the car and there was the warning icon. The SOC meter shows Full/All bars but the miles/range was showing 80 miles. We drove about 3 miles to drop off the kids at school and when we started it back up again, the warning light was gone.

Is there an easy way to tell what the EV system warning light indication was for besides going to a dealer to check the message?

Thanks!

SteveInSeattle
Delivery Date: 03 May 2011

Re: EV system warning light. What may have cause it?

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:49 am

I've posted the same issue elsewhere. I never get this warning light on days that I have not charged.. only after charging with the Blink.
2013 lease ended, purchased a red 2015 SL Premium from Ray Ishak at Magic Nissan. Good deal + rebates + $7500 tax credit + no sales tax = Leaf for Sentra money.

trentr
Delivery Date: 16 Apr 2011

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:50 am

no worries, happens all the time. it just means the charging was interrupted, that's all.
2011 Blue SL+QC
30,000 miles and counting..

mxp
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:54 pm

SteveInSeattle wrote:I've posted the same issue elsewhere. I never get this warning light on days that I have not charged.. only after charging with the Blink.

Thanks for your reply Steve. I just found your posting. Linked here for future reference...

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5238&p=121965#p121965

In my case, the Blink completed charging to 100% in 1.5 hrs according to Blink logs but something happened @ 6am...

Weird.

@trentr: Thanks for your reply and I feel relieved.

lpickup
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16138

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:56 am

My EV system warning light was on this morning (the car is just over a month old / 1300 miles). The red TROUBLE light on my AV EVSE was lit solid (and the instruction manual is just about as useful for that problem type--basically just says to cycle power to it). When I started the car, the EV system warning and yellow master warning lights were on and SOC was only 25%, which was about what I pulled in with last night. I didn't actually attempt to drive to see if it worked because we were in a hurry and I had to come up with plan B vs. debug the car. I did unplug the charging cable and the TROUBLE light went off immediately and the EVSE looked normal.

I had a timer set so it did not start charging immediately, although it did appear normal when I plugged in when it engaged for a second and then went into timer mode as indicated by the dash lights.

I did not get any charging stopped messages, so I suspect it never even really started to charge. This is precisely the scenario I am worried about. Even if it's for a rather innocuous reason, if I go out to the car on a weekday morning (or even some weekend mornings) with only 25% charge, that's going to be a big problem! I'm quite disappointed with this glitch.

So we had to take the ICE this morning and when I got back I re-started the car and the warning light was gone. I plugged the EVSE back into the car and did an immediate charge. It's been charging for about an hour now and appears normal.

Based on what I've read, it sounds like perhaps an EVSE glitch is to blame and the car lit the warning light to indicate that type of problem. But I would be interested in knowing whether there are other possible causes people have seen. I may take the car into the dealer and have them see if any codes or anything were left behind.
...Lance

Deep Blue Metallic 2018 Tesla Model 3 (31849) (delivered: 7/13/18)
Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310) (bought: 12/23/16 sold: 7/5/18)
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138) (delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16)
NOGA$4ME Blog

TonyWilliams

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:28 pm

I received a yellow "master caution" and the EV warning light in the middle of a drive. It went away after turning the car off, then on. From the service manual:

ELECTRIC VEHICLE (EV) SYSTEM WARNING LIGHT
The warning light will illuminate if there is a malfunction in the following systems:
• Traction motor and inverter system
• Charge port or on-board charger
• Li-ion battery system
• Cooling system
• Shift control system
• Emergency shut off system is activated.

If the warning light illuminates, contact a NISSAN certified LEAF dealer.

SteveInSeattle
Delivery Date: 03 May 2011

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:25 pm

I have gotten it 10+ times, yes, only after charging with the Blink and I ignore it.
2013 lease ended, purchased a red 2015 SL Premium from Ray Ishak at Magic Nissan. Good deal + rebates + $7500 tax credit + no sales tax = Leaf for Sentra money.

lpickup
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16138

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:08 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:I received a yellow "master caution" and the EV warning light in the middle of a drive. It went away after turning the car off, then on.

So since the manual (which you quoted) as not really that helpful (and possibly simply wrong since it did not mention "possible EVSE error" which is what it appears the real-world causes of the light reported here are), let me ask you: did you take it to the dealer as the manual suggested (just to double check that there wasn't a problem with any of the systems mentioned in the manual)?
...Lance

Deep Blue Metallic 2018 Tesla Model 3 (31849) (delivered: 7/13/18)
Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310) (bought: 12/23/16 sold: 7/5/18)
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138) (delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16)
NOGA$4ME Blog

TonyWilliams

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:50 pm

lpickup wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:I received a yellow "master caution" and the EV warning light in the middle of a drive. It went away after turning the car off, then on.

So since the manual (which you quoted) as not really that helpful (and possibly simply wrong since it did not mention "possible EVSE error" which is what it appears the real-world causes of the light reported here are), let me ask you: did you take it to the dealer as the manual suggested (just to double check that there wasn't a problem with any of the systems mentioned in the manual)?

It went out, I didn't smell any smoke, and I expected some glitches !

The last plane I flew, we called the "reset jet". Same crap.

phxsmiley
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 7837

Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:50 am

My EV System warning light lit up after attempting to quick-charge at a Blink QC unit I've used a few times in the past. I've never had that happen, and the QC unit terminated the charge, reporting that an 'error' had occurred. I tried one more time, hoping it was a fluke, but it came back with the same error.

I could still drive the car with the light on. Went to the nearby Nissan dealership to start an L2 charge (needed it to get home) and ask them what was going on. The EV warning light was still lit, and I couldn't start the L2 charge up. The three blue dashboard lights wouldn't light up.

The service manual seems to have hundreds of conditions that can cause this light, from CAN bus errors to individual cell errors, depending on the DTC code.

I ended up leaving the car there, and they graciously got me a rental car. I'll let you know what they find out.
Glacier Pearl SL-e, Delivered Aug 26th, 2011
Current Miles: 94,000 Miles (Aug 31st, 2017); Capacity Bars: 12/12;
EV Project; EVSE Upgrade Rev2

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”