Blink reboots every couple of days. Is that normal?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithFrechette

Well, other than continuing to clean out my garage and make room for the LEAF, there hasn't been much LEAF-related stuff I can do before my LEAF arrives (in hopefully a couple of days). So, periodically, I go to the Blink unit and just see if anything interesting is happening. Over the last few weeks, what I've noticed is that I've never seen the Blink with an "up time" of more than 2 days. If I look at the logs (appears to be running some Unix variant, possibly Linux?), it appears to cleanly shut down and then reboot, but no indication of a failure that would have triggered the shutdown event.

Is that what the Blink does when it gets bored? Do I need to hurry up and find it a friend?

Cool. Thanks.

Any idea what the problem actually is? A memory leak, perhaps? :geek: Has anybody tried connecting to it and running a Unix/Linux shell? Since it's providing "web" access, maybe it also provides some kind of administrative shell access. Though I suspect that Ecotality would probably try to prevent that kind of access to the internals of the device.

I'm only guessing, but the reboot every couple of days behavior started with 1.7. I think they added it on purpose to avoid other bugs. This is a common tactic when programmers can't figure out how to fix their software.

Perhaps it's common for crappy programmers. :) I wouldn't know. :ugeek: (In case you're wondering, I previously worked on the core Windows OS, and now I work on Windows Phone.)

From what I've been able to see, the reboots are a workaround for the former lockups that were seen with firmware 1.6 when an "Error: 502" message was displayed on the LCD panel and the unit froze, requiring a power-cycle to reset. I've been e-mailing the Blink Network Contact Center regarding my similar issues, and got the following response this morning (hopefully they won't mind my reposting it):
To follow up, thank you for being on top of providing us with the most current syslogs and information regarding your system. As the reboots we have been discussing, are the current way for the Blink unit to recover from a system error, there is a forthcoming major update still in development that will address this. This update will be a major rewrite of portions of the code, so the development process has been slightly longer than before. We appreciate diligent participants such as yourself to help us identify and address the most important issues. Please continue to keep us advised, and we will let you know as soon as we can the time frame for the implementation of the new update. Many thanks.
So I believe that they're aware of the issue and working on it, but alas, there's no timeframe for a better fix at this point.

Back