Wheel Speed Sensor Wire Harness Chafe - check for clip

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hgoudey

When driving at highway speeds (~60mph) the yellow ! in a triangle light, as well as the car with wiggles (traction control) light, both began to flash very briefly and intermittently (once every 30-120 sec). Upon exiting an 180 degree curve off ramp (mostly regen braking) there was ABS pulsing at the very end of my stop (even though it was on smooth road and wasn't an aggressive stop). By this time the trouble lights were on more consistently. When I tried to start again from the stop, there was a very ugly sound coming from the front right wheel, almost a grinding sound. I put the car in park, turned it off and got out to examine the wheel to make sure I didn't have a flat or something stuck in the fender well. It looked normal so I got back in and started it up. It drove fine with no noise, but both the traction control and ABS lights were steadily lit for the short remainder of the drive home.

When I took it to the dealer they pulled the ABS/traction codes as expected, but they were puzzled why they were associated with zero vehicle speed, until I confirmed I got the worst sound and steady lights after trying to start from a stop.

I had suspected a faulty wheel speed sensor, but it turned out it was a chafed wheel speed sensor wiring harness on the left front (hence the ugly braking sound on the right front to "match" the erroneous data from the left). Apparently the harness had come loose from its clip and was resting against the speed sensor body, hard enough to eventually wear through the insulation. They are overnighting a new part from LA and it should be back on the road tomorrow. The dealerships are very attentive to Leaf problems, as well as cautious and thorough. Nissan seems understandably keen to avoid a negative reliability image with this car.

As for this particular problem, it seems a freak thing that could have happened on any new car. For all I know the neighborhood racoons might have pulled the harness loose. They are certainly smart enough to take an interest in new technology and are likely frustrated by the belly pan limiting their access to interesting hardware.

It's an over reaction to suggest this might be anything other than an isolated event, but those of you who are inclined might consider confirming that the wiring harnesses to your wheels are well clipped. And don't leave any wrenches laying around. There's no telling what a racoon might get up to empowered with proper tools.

I'm glad it was nothing serious, just the inconvenience ;)

Don't forget to check for raccoon prints on the hood, and windshield every morning as an indication of uninvited visits to play with the New Car...

The raccoon(s?) have dirty pawed my car a couple times already while it's in the garage . Probably to get a better look at the interior. :D They get in through the cat door in the garage door. I hope they don't see my toolbox and start taking things apart on the car . ;)

You might find a pile of parts on the floor with all the edible bits missing! :lol:

Bassman said:
The raccoon(s?) have dirty pawed my car a couple times already while it's in the garage . Probably to get a better look at the interior. :D They get in through the cat door in the garage door. I hope they don't see my toolbox and start taking things apart on the car . ;)

Back