Flat Tire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elfa

So got a flat this morning 2 blocks from my house, had it towed to the dealership...and guess what???? after 1 1/2 hours they kindly inform me that they don't have the tires in stock, can you believe it, gave me a rental for the day and have to go back this afternoon, when they say they'll have a tire by 4pm, well we'll see, I'm not holding my breath....just venting here.

For a dealer whose main business isn't tires, being able to get the tire same day is about par for the course. Heck, even a dedicated tire store sometimes has to do that.

Also, http://www.onlinetires.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
in CA has the exact replacement for about $90 plus tax and shipping.

Bridgestone Ecopia EP422
205/55-R16 89H

I am going to buy some soon, should be about $100 to $110 each.
Anybody from the OC area or SoCal LEAF-Gatherings who want in on this buy?
I have 5 of us that are "in" for one tire each so far.

garygid said:
5 of us that are "in" for one tire each so far.

Why not buy a $10 - $20 perfectly good spare tire from a Nissan Altima (2002- newer) from a wrecking yard? It's physically smaller to store in you garage, dirt cheap and recycles something that would not otherwise be used.

While you're there, buy the Altima lug wrench and jack. You'll be ready for the eventual flat tire (I've already had one, also). You may not need a new tire for a flat, and you can drop off your flat tire to get repaired.

7a22b6cb.jpg

Tony, Good Suggestion, Thanks.

Does the 2002+ Altima rim and tire work directly on both the LEAF front and back positions?

What size is the Altima rim?
What size is the tire?

If the tire size is enough different, one would not want to drive TOO FAR (or TOO FAST) with the smaller Altima spare on the front, right?

garygid said:
Does the 2002+ Altima rim and tire work directly on both the LEAF front and back positions?

The above picture is the Altima spare on my LEAF's right front (biggest disc brake caliper). Yes, it fits the rear, also.

What size is the Altima rim?
What size is the tire?

The wheel is probably 16"x4". The tire should be 135-90-16.

If the tire size is enough different, one would not want to drive TOO FAR (or TOO FAST) with the smaller Altima spare on the front, right?

On the front, the spare is slightly larger in diameter than the LEAF stock tires. Yes, the differential will make up the speed difference, but not much different than making a continuous left of right turn.

I wouldn't worry about it for the few times (and miles) that you'll drive with a spare.

Yesterday, I got my SECOND flat tire on the LEAF. I hit something on the road, because I heard a noise, and then about 3 miles later, the low tire pressure warning came on.

I used the uber high tech method of letting go of the wheel, and observing which way it wandered to. To the right, crap, another right front tire. Naturally, I was quick to blame the guys who fixed it the last time.

So, I popped on the 2006 Altima spare tire (it was actually the right rear tire) and in a few minutes, was on my way to the Do-It-Yourself repair shop. I paid my $6, and put the car up on the rack, took off the spare, and then plugged two separate nail holes. One still had the nail in it.

Back on the road in 20 minutes.

TonyWilliams said:
Yesterday, I got my SECOND flat tire on the LEAF. I hit something on the road, because I heard a noise, and then about 3 miles later, the low tire pressure warning came on.

I used the uber high tech method of letting go of the wheel, and observing which way it wandered to. To the right, crap, another right front tire. Naturally, I was quick to blame the guys who fixed it the last time.

So, I popped on the 2006 Altima spare tire (it was actually the right rear tire) and in a few minutes, was on my way to the Do-It-Yourself repair shop. I paid my $6, and put the car up on the rack, took off the spare, and then plugged two separate nail holes. One still had the nail in it.

And that's the way it should be, when life throws nails in our road and gives us flats. Congrats for thinking ahead and being prepared.
Curious: where in the Leaf do you store the spare?

TonyWilliams said:

Hey Tony....you're my kinda guy. I'm a do-it-yourselfer :) too.

CWO4Mann said:
Something tells me that the Leaf does not come with a spare tire, jack, lug wrench?

The USA delivered LEAFs do come with a bright, shiny lug wrench; just no jack or spare tire. The UK delivered cars also have a jack, but no spare tire.

Here's a picture of the LEAF lug wrench and the 2006 Altima lug wrench and jack. You can buy this stuff for $10 - $50 from a wrecking yard. I also got a spare tire off of a Nissan Quest mini-van (all share the 5 lug, 114.3mm/4.5inch diameter pattern), but I cannot give 100% assurance that this spare will clear the front calipers (yes, it works, but I heard a noise when driving, and could not locate the source of the noise). The super high tech way to do this is with a [EDIT: Mazda RX8 spare], as they are aluminum (not sure if it will clear our brake calipers, or not).

6fa515f6.jpg

Here's the best place to store the spare, behind the rear axle:

LeafSpareTireLeafSpareTireIMG_0730.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
CWO4Mann said:
Something tells me that the Leaf does not come with a spare tire, jack, lug wrench?

The USA delivered LEAFs do come with a bright, shiny lug wrench; just no jack or spare tire. The UK delivered cars also have a jack, but no spare tire.

Here's a picture of the LEAF lug wrench and the 2006 Altima lug wrench and jack. You can buy this stuff for $10 - $50 from a wrecking yard. I also got a spare tire off of a Nissan Quest mini-van (all share the 5 lug, 114.3mm/4.5inch diameter pattern), but I cannot give 100% assurance that this spare will clear the front calipers (yes, it works, but I heard a noise when driving, and could not locate the source of the noise). The super high tech way to do this is with a 94-95 Mazda Miata spare, as they are aluminum (not sure if it will clear our brake calipers, or not).

Thanks for the information and photos.

Regards,

Dave

How did you get that spare tire mounted there? Is there an existing attachment point?

Thanks,

Tom

TonyWilliams said:
CWO4Mann said:

Here's a picture of the LEAF lug wrench and the 2006 Altima lug wrench and jack. You can buy this stuff for $10 - $50 from a wrecking yard. I also got a spare tire off of a Nissan Quest mini-van (all share the 5 lug, 114.3mm/4.5inch diameter pattern), but I cannot give 100% assurance that this spare will clear the front calipers (yes, it works, but I heard a noise when driving, and could not locate the source of the noise). The super high tech way to do this is with a 94-95 Mazda Miata spare, as they are aluminum (not sure if it will clear our brake calipers, or not)

LeafSpareTireLeafSpareTireIMG_0730.jpg

CWO4Mann said:
TonyWilliams said:
Here's the best place to store the spare, behind the rear axle: [...]
tjz said:
How did you get that spare tire mounted there? Is there an existing attachment point?
He didn't, at least, not in that picture :) . He did say "Here's the best place..." not "Here's where I store it".

Back