Gutless acceleration, when turning from a stop

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clbpdx

Along my route home, there is a STOP sign at the end of a freeway exit ramp. From that stop sign, I turn left onto a very busy 2-way street (there probably should be a traffic light there, but...)

The window/gap to get across is typically small, so you need brisk acceleration out of this stop while turning left. My Leaf is typically gutless during this accelerating left turn from a stop, enough so that it's a bit scary actually. This happens even with dry/clean pavement conditions.

Has anybody else experienced this?

I've haven't experienced this - very easy to push the tires to the edge. In fact, I've gotten a little loose on a few occasions where I pushed a little too hard. But not, that I can recall, when starting from a complete stop. Maybe I'll give it a go later today.

I have some of those types of streets by me, as well I'm sure do a lot of other people. Even with the "ICE" vehicles I have owned and currently own, some left turns are just to risky. If you have the option to go right for a short distance and then turn around I would go that route. Always better safe than sorry :)

Yeah, that's actually what I do most of the time at cost of a couple minutes -- take next freeway exit and backtrack.
That aside, the question still remains as to why my leaf is totally gutless under this condition.
Thanks!

walter said:
I have some of those types of streets by me, as well I'm sure do a lot of other people. Even with the "ICE" vehicles I have owned and currently own, some left turns are just to risky. If you have the option to go right for a short distance and then turn around I would go that route. Always better safe than sorry :)

Do you happen to be a two footed driver? Under certain conditions (which include pressing the brake and throttle at the same time), I have found the drive will limit your power output a couple of seconds even once you get off the brake. This is observable on the bubble meter. Your foot could be on the floor and you will not have full bubbles for a few seconds, and then it will smoothly apply torque to max.

If the traction control is limiting torque, it should be pretty easy to hear squealing tires. But even if you don't, you should see the master warning light come on in the brow display and the traction control light come on in the dash while torque is being limited.

turbo2ltr said:
If the traction control is limiting torque, it should be pretty easy to hear squealing tires. But even if you don't, you should see the master warning light come on in the brow display and the traction control light come on in the dash while torque is being limited.
I've always found that I can squeal the tires if I floor it while turning left from a stop, so perhaps it is limiting torque. I've never noticed the traction control light come on. I always assumed this was because I had too much power, not because it was "gutless". :lol:

As I just got my leaf yesterday I did try to show someone acceleration on making a turn and noticed this. I'd put money on the traction control (TC). Turn it off and try again. From reviews I've read it is not possible to break the tires loose in a straight line with TC off, but on a turn it will probably squeal a little. If it does, you can give it 85% power and in conjunction with TC off, you should still be in a better place than TC on and 100% power.

I've never experienced ANY lack of torque and I make tight U-turns all the time. Are you in 'D' or 'ECO'? If you are in ECO, then you may not be pushing the accelerator hard enough to get your acceleration.

clbpdx said:
My Leaf is typically gutless during this accelerating left turn from a stop, enough so that it's a bit scary actually. This happens even with dry/clean pavement conditions.

Try turning off traction control.

clbpdx said:
Along my route home, there is a STOP sign at the end of a freeway exit ramp. From that stop sign, I turn left onto a very busy 2-way street (there probably should be a traffic light there, but...)

The window/gap to get across is typically small, so you need brisk acceleration out of this stop while turning left. My Leaf is typically gutless during this accelerating left turn from a stop, enough so that it's a bit scary actually. This happens even with dry/clean pavement conditions.

"Gutless" is relative. What vehicle are you comparing the LEAF to? A Ferrari? :)

My previous car was a 2006 GTI (3150 lbs, 210 bhp, 210+ ft-lbs at 1800 rpm). The LEAF is at least its match between zero and 20-30 mph or so. It'd take a concerted intentionally hard launch in the GTI to match or better the LEAF.

And, I have found that flooring the "gas" while taking a 90' corner is one of the sure ways to light up the LEAF's tire, even with stability control on.

Folks,
Thanks for all the responses. I think turbo2ltr's answer here regarding the *symptoms* of two-footed behavior limiting power output for a few seconds is exactly right. When I conciously wait for a second after letting up on the brake pedal before pushing on the accelerator pedal, I cannot reproduce the problem.

The thing is though, that I am absolutely NOT a two-footed driver. In this scenario where the off-ramp is on a slight down-slope, I just make a transition from brake to accelerator quickly. Perhaps there is a slow mechanical or logical response time upon a brake pedal rise. When it does happen though, I can tell you that it is a worrisome "sitting" duck feeling.

Thanks again...

turbo2ltr said:
Do you happen to be a two footed driver? Under certain conditions (which include pressing the brake and throttle at the same time), I have found the drive will limit your power output a couple of seconds even once you get off the brake. This is observable on the bubble meter. Your foot could be on the floor and you will not have full bubbles for a few seconds, and then it will smoothly apply torque to max.

Back