Getting a static shock when I exit the vehicle

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinC

This is very minor, but I was wondering if anyone else gets a shock when they get out of the LEAF?

I think it happens from sliding the fabric of my pants across the fabric seat too quickly which generates some static electricity. Then when I touch the metal on the door well, I get a shock. It's not strong enough for me to think this is from the car electrics, but it is significant enough to bother me.

Is this just me being spoiled by leather interiors for too long?

I used to get a static shock fairly often in my previous car. In the Leaf I do on occasion but not as often. This is something I've always experienced and am used to expecting. I avoid it by grabbing the door by the rubber/plastic side when I open it. Even touching a non-conductive surface of the door for one second is enough to dissipate the static so you can touch the metal then without getting shocked.

Yes, I occasionally get a static shock when exiting my Leaf, similar to the one I used to get when exiting my Toyota Camry. I was a bit concerned of this shock when exiting my Camry at a refueling station, however this concern is now moot! :)

Ok, thanks for the replies. I'm seriously thinking about getting the leather installed on the seats in the future (when budget allows), but until then I'll just try to discharge before touching metal. Alternatively, I could start wearing leather pants.

JustinC said:
Alternatively, I could start wearing leather pants.

OR, just buy some inexpensive seat covers which will protect your fabric too. I've never been shocked because I had seat covers put on before I left the dealer. :mrgreen:

Wow... that is taking seat covers very seriously.

It just occurred to me that I could also just spray the seat with Static Guard.

JustinC said:
This is very minor, but I was wondering if anyone else gets a shock when they get out of the LEAF?

I think it happens from sliding the fabric of my pants across the fabric seat too quickly which generates some static electricity. Then when I touch the metal on the door well, I get a shock. It's not strong enough for me to think this is from the car electrics, but it is significant enough to bother me.

Is this just me being spoiled by leather interiors for too long?

Well my LEAF is 5 months old and I'm still getting 1 cm sparks but I have found if I use my forearm to discharge through it removes most of the pain compared to discharges through the hand. I keep waiting for it to go away and I'm still waiting.

mwalsh said:
It takes about 2 months for this effect to dissipate. I don't know why, it just does.

Edit: Except, apparently, for Nekota! :lol:
This has not been my experience either. I suspect the "dissipate" is really just a change in climate. Down here in Tucson, shocking gets really bad for me during the winter. I got mine in April, and I am still getting shocked. Leather seats really are the way to go, but I can't justify that expense right now.

mwalsh said:
It takes about 2 months for this effect to dissipate. I don't know why, it just does.

Glad that it dissipates for you, but after three and a half months with my Leaf, I get shocked just as much as in the beginning. Also 9 years with my previous car (Prius) and there was no change in the amount of shock. Ditto for the car before that.

philaphonic said:
mwalsh said:

Glad that it dissipates for you, but after three and a half months with my Leaf, I get shocked just as much as in the beginning. Also 9 years with my previous car (Prius) and there was no change in the amount of shock. Ditto for the car before that.

Maybe it's just us So. Cal. folks, but I've had the same experience as mwalsh. The shock thing goes away after a few months. Could be just seasonal. I guess we'll find out next year.

A good way to dissipate the static when you get out is touch the door frame with your knuckles first instead of your fingers. There are not very many nerves in your knuckles so you can take a pretty big shock and not really feel it. Finger tips are much more sensitive.

This happens to me in my trailblazer with clothe seats in the winter. Has something to do with cooler dryer air. It does not stop until spring when it again gets humid and hot.........some shocks are real eye openers :shock:

This was happening for us more in the beginning when the upholstery was extra fuzzy, it does mat down a bit after initial break in. On another thread about this someone mentioned either putting your hand on the metal part of the door or your left arm against the metal body as you exit to equalize the electrons. As long as we do this, we don't get shocked. I don't think the static electricity has anything to do with the car being electric, I think it's the recycled fiber the seat upholstery is made out of and the way you your clothing rubs against it just as you exit the vehicle.

My Grand Cherokee is much worse than the leaf. On multiple occasions, I've had static discharge through my pinky toe *while wearing sneakers* coming out of the jeep.

I've mostly battled it by touching a metal part of the door, the A-pillar with my right hand, or the b-pillar with my left, when exiting the vehicle. Then it drains before it even builds up.

JustinC said:
Wow... that is taking seat covers very seriously.

It just occurred to me that I could also just spray the seat with Static Guard.
Get one of those anti static dryer sheets (bounce, etc), and diligently rub it on the seat, and it will help a lot--at least it did on my Honda CR-V with cloth. Had to repeat it once a year or so.

I installed leather, and no problems. Does get warm, but I will take that over the cloth.

mwalsh said:
It'll go away. Give it another 4 weeks.
I figured out why it goes away after 4 weeks - I always hold on to the metal part of the door when getting out now which dissipates the static without noticing. So I think the static is still there, but I've been trained to stop poking myself where it hurts. ;)

I should go test this but I'm not a big fan of getting shocked. :)

Back