Door locks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brightonuk

Sorry is there is an easy fix but I cant find it
Why dont my doors open when you pull on the door handle?
In every car I have owned pulling on the door handle opens the door unless you have child locks it only seems to auto unlock when I turn off the car.
It is driving the wife mad not being able to open the car when we pull in to the driveway and today dropping off the kids I looked cool in my electric up to the point when the kids could not get out and I was fumbling for a door lock while opening and closing windows

The behavior of pulling on the inside door handles unlocking the door as well has been pretty mixed between the cars I and my parents have owned.

IIRC, my former 04 Nissan 350Z didn't unlock upon pulling the door handles. I don't remember about my cars before that.

I think that the way BMW did it is still the best: The first pull unlocks the door, and the second pull opens it. You can still unlock and open it but you won't open it accidentally.

Brightonuk said:
My Altima did it is just annoying trying to open the doors

Not only is it annoying, it is dangerous. How am I going to open the door to jump out when I drive the car off a parking lot roof because I want to kill the NAV system for good. Punching it does not work.

Brightonuk said:
In every car I have owned pulling on the door handle opens the door unless you have child locks it only seems to auto unlock when I turn off the car.

Go in the owner's manual for "Auto Locking".

It will tell you how to disable the auto locking so that your door will always open. If I recall correctly, you turn on the power (turn presses on the power button, without pressing the brake), and then within 20 seconds, hold the unlock button for 5 seconds.

Let me know if I remembered correctly.

Some other car mfg's do these things a bit differently as well -- my '09 VW Routan will auto unlock both front doors when you pull on them while in the driveway, car still running while in drive, but the rear sliding doors won't open until you put it into park (haven't referred to the manual but leaving this feature on) -- if you 'child lock' them they of course won't open at all unless you do it from the driver's seat. So it sounds like the LEAF needs to be shut off as well --- not just in park? Can't seem to recall this auto lock feature while on my test drive so perhaps the dealer turned it off --

TonyWilliams said:
Not the same thing. That keeps them from locking when you exceed 15mph, it doesn't cause the door handle to unlock them as was requested. My family has simply gotten used to unlocking, then opening the door. The button is right next to the handle...no sweat.

davewill said:
TonyWilliams said:
Not the same thing. That keeps them from locking when you exceed 15mph, it doesn't cause the door handle to unlock them as was requested. My family has simply gotten used to unlocking, then opening the door. The button is right next to the handle...no sweat.

So, if the car doors don't lock over 15mph, then you won't have to unlock them when you stop.

It will tell you how to disable the auto locking so that your door will always open. If I recall correctly, you turn on the power (turn presses on the power button, without pressing the brake), and then within 20 seconds, hold the unlock button for 5 seconds.

Na did not work I will just have to page thru war and peace till I find it and let ya know

While I do like the behavior of the locks unlocking when you simply open the door, Nissans are not the only ones that don't do this, at least not on all doors. On our Chrysler the rear doors must be unlocked before you can get out (child locks on the other hand prevent the door from being opened at all from the inside, even if it is unlocked). As a result, since I was usually schlepping my kids around and at least one was in the back seat, I just got used to hitting the unlock button as we were coming to a stop. Not really a big deal. I do the same on our Dodge Caravan because usually we need to get something out of the back anyway.

TonyWilliams said:

That will turn off the auto UN-locking. Do the same thing holding the LOCK button for 5 sec., until the flashers flash, and the auto locking will be disabled.

MrIanB said:
Can you set the fob to unlock all doors when you press one time the unlock button on the fob?
Press the Menu button to the right of the navigation display. Then touch "Settings"; "Comfort & Convenience"; "Selective door unlock".

Note: Don't confuse this with the "Settings" choice shown on the menu when you press the Zero Emission button. Those are different settings. To get to the one you want you have to start with the real button (not on the touch screen) that says "Menu".

Ray

P.S. I tried to find this in the manual and failed, but I knew the feature existed because I had activated it, so I went out to the car and poked around until I found it again. I just now found it in pretty much the last place you would be likely to look.
Navigation manual
Section 6: Viewing technical information
Subsection: Viewing vehicle information
Sub-subsection: You guessed it: Comfort & Convenience Settings

EVDRIVER said:
Brightonuk said:
My Altima did it is just annoying trying to open the doors

Not only is it annoying, it is dangerous. How am I going to open the door to jump out when I drive the car off a parking lot roof because I want to kill the NAV system for good. Punching it does not work.
Lol you just made my day. But yeah I got to this thread because I miss my last car just opening the front doors upon pulling the handle.

Back