Is there seriously no "mute" button for the radio?!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HankHillNeedsALeaf

I've been scouring the interwebs to see if anyone has figured out a hack for this. It's driving me crazy that I have to continuously lower my volume at drive throughs or if I pickup my phone. Am I missing something because I've only had the car a few days or is there no way to quickly mute the radio?!

HankHillNeedsALeaf said:
I've been scouring the interwebs to see if anyone has figured out a hack for this. It's driving me crazy that I have to continuously lower my volume at drive throughs or if I pickup my phone. Am I missing something because I've only had the car a few days or is there no way to quickly mute the radio?!

if your phone is hooked to the car, it automatically overrides the radio.
otherwise, you can just turn it off, and when back on it returns to your station. like mute.

The radio shuts down and restarts almost instantly. That's as good as a mute button to me. Actually none of my previous cars had dedicated Mute buttons. Only power OFF.

You can always turn it off. The really annoying one is that there's no way to pause or mute an iPod when it's attached via USB. That means that you have to keep listening to whatever annoying tune happens to be first on your iPod until you can get through the menus and pick what you really wanted to listen to...or let the George Carlin album you were listening to swear away while you try to change to something more appropriate for the kids...

davewill said:
You can always turn it off. The really annoying one is that there's no way to pause or mute an iPod when it's attached via USB. That means that you have to keep listening to whatever annoying tune happens to be first on your iPod until you can get through the menus and pick what you really wanted to listen to...or let the George Carlin album you were listening to swear away while you try to change to something more appropriate for the kids...

try it via bluetooth. you can do it.

I've never understood the need for a mute button on a car stereo. In fact, one of the things I hate the most about aftermarket stereos is how difficult they are to turn off!

thankyouOB said:
try it via bluetooth. you can do it.
Yes, you can pause using Bluetooth...shame that my iPod doesn't have it. Also a shame that you can't seem to have a phone and a separate music player both connected via BT even if I were to buy a BT adapter for my iPod. Besides you don't get ANY menus with Bluetooth.

Ah, the pleasure of missing turn knobs. They all did away with them (because auto makers all ape one another for some stupid reason) so now you can't lower the volume quickly like you could in your 1992 car and your only option is the off button.

And the fun doesn't stop there... I am bewildered how amazingly complicated is to turn bass up or down in my Leaf. My auto installer (speakers) guy actually gave up trying. That shows how insane the "new" interfaces can get.

But my main gripe is that my cell won't connect automatically when another cell phone was connected previously. First it has to give me that stupid failed-to-connect screen for about 10 seconds and then and only then it allows me to connect my phone (even though it's in the #1 position. By the way, when you get rid of a cell phone it leaves a blank space and the other phones won't move up the rungs. Strange... So if you have let's say 4 phones and get rid of #2 you end up with #1 #3 and #4.

Nissan - it needs a fix!

ILETRIC said:
Ah, the pleasure of missing turn knobs. They all did away with them (because auto makers all ape one another for some stupid reason) so now you can't lower the volume quickly like you could in your 1992 car and your only option is the off button.

And the fun doesn't stop there... I am bewildered how amazingly complicated is to turn bass up or down in my Leaf. My auto installer (speakers) guy actually gave up trying. That shows how insane the "new" interfaces can get.

But my main gripe is that my cell won't connect automatically when another cell phone was connected previously. First it has to give me that stupid failed-to-connect screen for about 10 seconds and then and only then it allows me to connect my phone (even though it's in the #1 position. By the way, when you get rid of a cell phone it leaves a blank space and the other phones won't move up the rungs. Strange... So if you have let's say 4 phones and get rid of #2 you end up with #1 #3 and #4.

Nissan - it needs a fix!

No just the lame Nissan design. Other stereos are intuitive and works well. The order likely saved Clarion :lol:

adric22 said:
I've never understood the need for a mute button on a car stereo.
I can't think of a single car that I've owned/been the primary driver of with a mute button on the stereo. This is me w/thinking all the way back to the 1986 model year.

Since I don't have a Leaf, I can't comment on the stereo's complexity, but from having a rental Ford Focus w/a Blaupunkt stereo long ago and sometimes playing w/radios in some German cars, I've concluded that German radios tend to be more complex.

The point is to turn the music down - and fast. So nowadays the fastest method is the OFF button method.

I could turn music down in a fraction of a second with a turn knob. No mas, amigos.

Now it's click, click, click x 10. Gen X, of course, loves it. You know, they now call themselves techno-natives. That's their own new terminus technicus for the i-phone/pod/pad crowd.

My creed is -- new is not always batter. Watch the movie Idiocracy. You'll get the gist of what's going on.

ILETRIC said:
But my main gripe is that my cell won't connect automatically when another cell phone was connected previously.

davewill said:
Also a shame that you can't seem to have a phone and a separate music player both connected via BT

My fairly inexpensive Panasonic Bluetooth compatible cordless telephone has no trouble at all connecting to 2 cell phones simultaneously and when a call comes in on either, it rings the phone, and when you go to make a call on it, you are prompted for which phone you want to make the call on and voila, it happens (I do wish it would not go through that unnecessary prompt when only one phone is detected though).

So I know it's technically possible (and currently implemented) to have multiple phones connected at once. This is a big (and unnecessary) limitation IMO.

I don't have first-hand knowledge of an existing device that can simultaneously connect to a phone and audio device, but I think it's fairly safe to extrapolate the previous argument and imagine that that too is possible (of course in my case my phone IS my Bluetooth audio device, that is if I can figure out how to get that working!)

LTLFTcomposite said:
ILETRIC said:
Ah, the pleasure of missing turn knobs.

+1 on knobs as a user interface, particularly for the volume.

Funny thing is I've an analog knob for the volume (and backlight) in my keyboard - but not in the car stereo :lol:

Do I have a different Leaf console than you guys??

I can reach out and smack the KNOB that we have in a flash.
It mutes the radio post-haste.
Done.

Of the many beefs I have with the console ("OK"), this is not one.

I use a weak FM station or Sirius radio silent option to tune out the radio at select times.

Latest posts

Back