Display - background color

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhisperLeaf

Display background - night/day. How do I set it to automatically change polarity? When I first got my Leaf - it changed automatically. Now it does not. What can I do? :(

If you're talking about the display above the steering wheel (battery bars, etc...), the brightness control is off to the left (for LH cars). The maximum brightness setting locks the display to max bright regardless of day/night. Take it down at least one notch if you want it to switch with the headlights. And if you want the headlights to be automatic, it's the first click from "off" on the stalk.

Sorry for not being clearer - I am talking about the GPS Map - black background at night and white during the day. For example - I could pull into my darkened garage during the day - with my headlights set to Auto - and the headlights come on (which means that the sensor on the dash is working and that the Leaf knows that the outside light has changed) - and my GPS Map would go from a white background to a black background automatically. Now it stays in the mode that it has been set in (black or white). I have combed my manuals and find no reference to automatic polarization. I called my dealer - and he did not know a thing about it. Thanks, though, for you very prompt reply.

WhisperLeaf said:
Sorry for not being clearer - I am talking about the GPS Map - black background at night and white during the day. For example - I could pull into my darkened garage during the day - with my headlights set to Auto - and the headlights come on (which means that the sensor on the dash is working and that the Leaf knows that the outside light has changed) - and my GPS Map would go from a white background to a black background automatically. Now it stays in the mode that it has been set in (black or white). I have combed my manuals and find no reference to automatic polarization. I called my dealer - and he did not know a thing about it. Thanks, though, for you very prompt reply.
Push the brightness button on the display (next to the button to open the display to insert a CD). There is an "auto" setting that changes the display based on ambient brightness.

There are three controls that affect the NAV display background color which is a function of the Day/Night display mode:

1. The Headlights: If they are ON the display is locked in Night mode. 'Auto' the Day/Night mode will switch with the headlights, OFF in will stay in Day mode.
2. Dash light brightness control (on the left below the air vent). If this on MAX, the NAV will lock into Day (or Night) mode.
3. The NAV Display brightness (accessed on the navigation display). This can set the level and also switch the Day/Night mode (accessed when you touch 'Background Color').

as long as we are on the topic of setting brightness; is there a way to brighten the various hand controls--door lock, window buttons, the four-cluster under the left air vent, and especially the gadgets on the steering wheel for radio volume, etc.?

Padamson1 and Dark Star - Thank you for the info. I tried the night/day button tonight - before I saw Padamson1's suggestions. I will work on it tomorrow - I am busy most of the day - but I think that I can sneak out and try it. Tks

In auto headlight mode the nav screen will not darken until the car detects that it's dark enough for the headlights to come on.

coqui said:
In auto headlight mode the nav screen will not darken until the car detects that it's dark enough for the headlights to come on.
Actually, there are two light levels detected. As the environment darkens, at first, the lights come on but the dash lights remain at full brightness. Only when it gets darker does the dash dim.

Very cool!

Does anyone read the owners manual? It is in the car and it is very easy to read how to do things as easy as this.

padamson1 said:
There are three controls that affect the NAV display background color which is a function of the Day/Night display mode:

1. The Headlights: If they are ON the display is locked in Night mode. 'Auto' the Day/Night mode will switch with the headlights, OFF in will stay in Day mode.
2. Dash light brightness control (on the left below the air vent). If this on MAX, the NAV will lock into Day (or Night) mode.
3. The NAV Display brightness (accessed on the navigation display). This can set the level and also switch the Day/Night mode (accessed when you touch 'Background Color').

padamson - Thank you - Your suggestion # 2 was the answer.

I may not be the sharpest pencil in the drawer - but I have researched both manuals. Nowhere can I find a) any mention of what you said in # 2, and b) if you put Instrument Brightness Control (page 2-39) to the max - the button under the left side of the GPS display - does not work - as mentioned by other respondents and by the manual. And if it is in the manual - mere mortals should be able to find it (page 2-39 Owner's Manual and 1-14 & 15 Nav manual - should tell you - or refer you to where it is stated). And beyond that - why should putting the instrument panel to max brightness cause the auto change of screen polarity to lock up? To add more - nowhere can I find reference to the fact that the feature "screen polarity" does change automatically. Thanks again. :D

WhisperLeaf said:
padamson1 said:

I may not be the sharpest pencil in the drawer - but I have researched both manuals. Nowhere can I find a) any mention of what you said in # 2, and b) if you put Instrument Brightness Control (page 2-39) to the max - the button under the left side of the GPS display - does not work - as mentioned by other respondents and by the manual. And if it is in the manual - mere mortals should be able to find it (page 2-39 Owner's Manual and 1-14 & 15 Nav manual - should tell you - or refer you to where it is stated). And beyond that - why should putting the instrument panel to max brightness cause the auto change of screen polarity to lock up? To add more - nowhere can I find reference to the fact that the feature "screen polarity" does change automatically. Thanks again. :D

Yeah, the manuals, for all their thickness, can be inscrutable. For example, still not sure I understand the full ramifications of "light sensitivity". Nav, auto headlights, both? Does more sensitivity mean ealier turn-on or later? Experimentation doesn't seem to make any marked difference one way or another. :?

WhisperLeaf said:

I may not be the sharpest pencil in the drawer - but I have researched both manuals...frustrating search details cut....

Thanks again. :D
The only reason I knew about #2 is it happens all the time in our Prius. My wife drives during the day with the lights on, which puts the dash into night mode (dimming the brightness), so she can't see, then max's out the brightness and the touch display gets locked into Day Mode. Took me a good hour to figure out WTF was going on and I think I'm an above average pencil, so don't worry about.

I learned a long time ago that there's always room to learn from other people and since I learn something on this site pretty much every day its nice to give some knowledge back for a change. :p

Back