Leaf won't turn off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpkimi

I had my car tinted today and also applied a 'clear' UV shield on the windshield. Now the car won't turn off - I press the on/off button, the car turns off, then on again. I get both I-Key System Fault and T/M System malfunction - visit dealer messages. I spoke to the dealer, he said that soapy water from applying the film on the windshield affects the electronics right below the dash - this has happened to them a couple of times also. I asked if there was a manual way of turning off the car, he said no, after about 24 hours it should dry out. I was able to turn off the A/C (it's hot here in Honolulu) and radio, but the console still stays lit up with most of the error icons lit up also. I guess I'll wait until tomorrow to see evaporation helps....otherwise I'll need to visit the dealer. Anyone else have this problem?

He said he had a "UV shield" put on. I'd be upset if that happened to my car. Let us know how it works out.

Right, but water or liquid on the inside of any window should not cause that, that is a major design flaw. Perhaps run defrost?

Water on the INSIDE of the window? I would be concerned with liquids getting under the dash and effecting electronics.

DurkaDurka said:
Water on the INSIDE of the window? I would be concerned with liquids getting under the dash and effecting electronics.

I can see an issue with the combo meter but near the glass and under the ssh in that area should not impact the car.

Since the dealer cost was more than 2x than going to a third party, I went to a third party who is very well known in Honolulu for tinting. Yes, I was surprised when my sales person said they already had two cases in-house that had the same problem after applying a UV shield film on a Nissan Leaf. I do think it is a design flaw if water can cause this much problems - what if someone had their coffee cup on the dash (I'm sure some people put it there) and it spilled? Luckily I have an enclosed garage while my Leaf is still kind of on. It looks like it's consuming about 1 mile per hour while sitting in the garage. I hope it feels better and decides to work tomorrow!

I'm surprised that part of the dealer recommended dry out procedure
wasn't to pull a main fuse or disconnect the 12V battery. (When
either was done you might hear a thud or two as the HV circuit
breakers open. Not to worry.)

All the circuitry under the dash is most likely 12V and it isn't the
danger of a fire, but complications in the various systems that would
concern me.

Since you're seeing a depletion of the HV battery, that suggests that
the 12V is being supplied through the DC-to-DC converter. I would
then begin to wonder about the state of the 12V battery, it could now
be deeply discharged. This could be "fixed" by recharging with a
battery minder overnight, but the discharge typically starts the
battery on a course for early replacement...
to the tune of ~$200 IRC.

As EVDRIVER mentioned, it could be your meter board. I think a dealer would be necessary to check this out.

Do you have anything plugged in and drawing load from your accessory power outlet? If so, unplug it. Others have reported not being able to turn off the car when the outlet is in use.

Well the good news is that I was able to turn the car off around 10pm last night. My garage is always very warm so that probably helped dry the car out. Looks like I had the problem for about 10 hours. I'm charging the car up this morning as I need to use it. I still see the fault indicator on the dash, but haven't gone in and turned the car on yet. Maybe everything will reset, otherwise I will need to visit the dealer to reset the I-Key System Fault and T/M system malfunction problems.

Did you try an emergency shut-down by pressing the start button quickly 3 times? I also wonder if connecting the EVSE and then pressing the start button would turn it off and (being that the EVSE is plugged in) see if that prevents it from energizing the EV system.

I did a test drive this morning and everything seems to be normal again -- I no longer have the 2 system warning messages and the 'see dealer' message. I learned something about pressing the start button quickly 3 times -- that's the kind of info I was trying to get from the dealer yesterday. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

After charging (L2) in a covered garage, I got the "T/M system malfunction Visit Dealer" message when trying to turn the car on. After several attempts to turn it on, I found that by waiting about a minute (with the display lit), it would actually turn on. (I didn't do anything, just wait.) The car is dry - this is NOT a moisture issue. It drove fine. I am getting the software upgrade in a few days, but this is the second time this has happened.

Follow up: This turned out to be a bad inverter, which has been replaced (under warranty) and has solved the problem (so far).

blappen said:
After charging (L2) in a covered garage, I got the "T/M system malfunction Visit Dealer" message when trying to turn the car on. After several attempts to turn it on, I found that by waiting about a minute (with the display lit), it would actually turn on. (I didn't do anything, just wait.) The car is dry - this is NOT a moisture issue. It drove fine. I am getting the software upgrade in a few days, but this is the second time this has happened.

Wasn't there a voluntary recall on this?

Back