AV charger not "Ready to charge"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atebit

I got a nice surprise around 1:30 this morning when Carwings sent a text to tell me the car had stopped charging...at 3 bars of charge!

I went down to the garage and looked at the unit. The Power light was lit but not Ready To Charge. I called AV & they told me to turn the breaker off & wait six minutes before turning it back on. Still no dice.

So a tech from the installer is coming out tomorrow to look at it, but he didn't seem too knowledgable when we spoke early this morning.

Anyone have any deeper knowledge of what Ready To Charge being dark means? I know these units communicate via a TCU back to AV...any chance it's become non-entitled or something?

BTW, car is currently charging fine on the L1 charger, but I wasn't counting on waiting 21 hours before I could drive again. :)

Atebit said:
BTW, car is currently charging fine on the L1 charger, but I wasn't counting on waiting 21 hours before I could drive again. :)
I trust the smiley means you realize you are exaggerating. At 3 bars you can already go 20-30 miles without pushing the limits at the bottom end. By 6 AM you should be close to 7 bars and able to go 40-60 miles.

Ray

Actually I wanted a more irritated-looking smiley but at 3:00am :) is all I could come up with. I have (had) a lot of running around to do today (much of it highway) that was supposed to commence at 7:00 with a full charge in order to get that done. Still looking at 8 hours to a full charge right now. So now not only will I leave late but some things won't get done today.

Not the end of the world, with an ice I could've woken up to a dead battery and a flat tire that would also have delayed me. But those things I know how to fix. The purpose of my post was not to grouse about my day but to hopefully learn the reason behind my EVSE being up the spout so I can help the weekend on-call team get it working again before Monday. The blurb about L1 charging was mainly to ward off " maybe it's the car" responses.

I understand you have AV branded smart unit. There was report previously that they did refuse to work in the past I think in VA, NC. I believe all your problems are duet to smart unit not being to smart.

Just tried the lamp test before setting out on my abbreviated journey. No response, the Power light is the only one that's lit. So I think the unit is toasted after being installed 16 days ago.

no location means no options to discuss. it has now been 6 hours as opposed to 6 minutes. try it now?

i have to say i am completely lost over the EVSE issues everyone has had here and it covers every manufacturer. its nothing but a fricking plug but they have chosen to take it to another world. now which world? is the question here.

i have to say, i am glad i am not a home owner because i would have jumped all over the Free EVSE option and would probably still have my 2006 Prius that i sold after being convinced the Leaf would work for me due to the EVSE reliability issue (and it has!!) i being the cheap man that i am would have never paid the $300 (added stuff like metering) to get Phil's EVSE upgrade and all that.

all, i can say is. there are a TON of people here who got the home EVSE and Phil's mod and i had to wonder why anyone would get both. i know realize why

So I was able to talk to a slightly more awake person around 10:00 am this morning. She sent two reset signals to my EVSE but no joy. But she was determined to fix it for me, one way or the other. So she told me she would make some calls & get back to me.

About an hour later she called back & asked me to go have a look at the front panel. When I went to the garage, sure enough it was "Ready To Charge". What she had to do was re-send an "enable" signal to the unit, as it had somehow become un-authorized. The kicker was that according to her inventory system, the unit was still "authorized"...a supervisor suggested she try to re-enable it again anyway.

So that fixed it, and it was exactly what I thought the problem was. If the 1:30 AM sleepy-head I spoke to originally had a little more gumption, we probably could've fixed it in the wee hours.

So AV EVSE oweners, nota bene, and if you're ever in this boat, make sure you suggest they re-send an "enable" signal, even if it looks like it's enabled on their end.

DaveinOlyWA said:
all, i can say is. there are a TON of people here who got the home EVSE and Phil's mod and i had to wonder why anyone would get both. i know realize why

LOL I was thinking the same thing around 3:00 AM this morning. I think l'll be looking into getting an L6-20 or -30 installed in the garage along with the EVSE mod now just for this reason!

DaveinOlyWA said:
its nothing but a fricking plug but they have chosen to take it to another world. now which world? is the question here.
I love my bare bone AV Nissan edition just simple plug, no network connection, no fancy screen, works every time

EdmondLeaf said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
its nothing but a fricking plug but they have chosen to take it to another world. now which world? is the question here.
I love my bare bone AV Nissan edition just simple plug, no network connection, no fancy screen, works every time

Yep, got Phils mod and it is a "no think" process. It simply works

Atebit said:
So I was able to talk to a slightly more awake person around 10:00 am this morning. She sent two reset signals to my EVSE but no joy. But she was determined to fix it for me, one way or the other. So she told me she would make some calls & get back to me.

About an hour later she called back & asked me to go have a look at the front panel. When I went to the garage, sure enough it was "Ready To Charge". What she had to do was re-send an "enable" signal to the unit, as it had somehow become un-authorized. The kicker was that according to her inventory system, the unit was still "authorized"...a supervisor suggested she try to re-enable it again anyway.

So that fixed it, and it was exactly what I thought the problem was. If the 1:30 AM sleepy-head I spoke to originally had a little more gumption, we probably could've fixed it in the wee hours.

So AV EVSE oweners, nota bene, and if you're ever in this boat, make sure you suggest they re-send an "enable" signal, even if it looks like it's enabled on their end.
What type of AV EVSE are you using? I wasn't aware that they units that communicated via the Internet or otherwise.

I think this is smart model of AV evse
EVSE-RS+
Our Smart Charging Dock model EVSE-RS+ will offer communication with the grid to turn drivers’ homes into grid-connected smart charging hubs – charging when energy consumption is low and delaying charge when energy costs are high. The EVSE-RS+ is being designed to charge automatically, or be pre-programmed by the utility or consumer for optimal power draw. EVSE-RS+ is designed to be compatible with EV and plug-in hybrid (PHEV) models from all major automakers and features all the capabilities of the base EVSE-RS. The Smart Charging Dock can be installed by one of our certified licensed electrical contractors.
EVSE_LS_M_Lrg_2.jpg

Once charging has started, and the EVSE changes the Control Pilot signal to lower the Max-Amps, the EV should be monitoring Max-Amps and should adjust its usage, if necessary, to not exceed the new Max-Amps.

However, I thought that I read a long while back that the LEAF ignores Max-Amps after charging has started!

Can anybody verify this behavior in the LEAF?

Been trolling here for a while now. I've had my Leaf for a month now. The second morning I woke up to the AV EVSE showing a fault condition and no charge occured that night. Had me worried all day till I got home that afternoon to fix it. I did the cash 'n carry program and so installed my own unit. Inside the AV EVSE where the house power connects to the unit, the main wires out the other side of that connector were not firmly seated. So what happened is the internal main power wire got hot, melted the insulation, and caused an intermittent connection. Reseating the wire and retightening it fixed the problem. At this point I don't know if it's something I did or if it come that way from the factory, just that is might be something to look for.

It's worked fine ever since.

DarkStar said:
What type of AV EVSE are you using? I wasn't aware that they units that communicated via the Internet or otherwise.

I have one I got through an incentive my utility is running (they gave me a free EVSE in return for collecting electric usage data for 2 years) that for all intents and purposes looks like every other one I've seen, but apparently it has an additional board in it that communicates over the cellular network.

Sure enough I was able to get a web login from AV and can monitor my EVSE usage extensively. They can also reset the unit remotely (I suspect this additional functionality is required because in some applications (pay per kWh for example) perhaps they only want to allow charging when adequate monitoring can occur.

davewill said:
They have to AUTHORIZE the unit in your garage? Are they afraid you're going to steal your own electricity? Talk about designed to fail...

True, but I think the original design point appears to be for commercial charging stations where the owner of the charging station would like to ensure that proper tracking and monitoring is enabled before allowing charging to commence. In my case the "owner" is my utility (at least for the first two years) and while it may sound silly that it has to be authorized seeing how it's "my" electricity, keep in mind they are using off-the-shelf equipment for a purpose slightly different than what it was originally intended for.

I don't particularly have a problem with this seeing how they basically paid for my EVSE and install (albeit I do think they got ripped off by AV's outrageous prices) and my experience has been that the unit has been 100% reliable as far as that is concerned.

lpickup said:
True, but I think the original design point appears to be for commercial charging stations where the owner of the charging station would like to ensure that proper tracking and monitoring is enabled before allowing charging to commence. In my case the "owner" is my utility (at least for the first two years) and while it may sound silly that it has to be authorized seeing how it's "my" electricity, keep in mind they are using off-the-shelf equipment for a purpose slightly different than what it was originally intended for.

I don't particularly have a problem with this seeing how they basically paid for my EVSE and install (albeit I do think they got ripped off by AV's outrageous prices) and my experience has been that the unit has been 100% reliable as far as that is concerned.
I need commercial charging stations, right now just plain AV Nissan working great, ready to trade?

Back