How should I clean the inverter?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianto

IMG_1827.jpg

I was cleaning the leaf today and noticed some grime on the inverter, it didn't seem to come off easily as it's quite a rough finish.

Any ideas for what to use to clean it gratefully received.

I used Glass Plus (because it was handy) when I noticed that a mouse decided it might be a nice spot to hang out. I guess, similar to the freezing headlights, this is another unexpected downside of efficiency - no high temps to discourage critters.

A friend also had mouse droppings in top of the inverter cover.
Just discovered a few days ago, when firmware was being upgraded.

It appeared that the Service department decided to
hose out the motor compartment with Water. :roll:

I've always heard you should NOT use high power sprayers on an ICE engine as that can compress gaskets and allow water where it should not go.

OMG, you used water? My dealer told me that I should never wash my Leaf, that it was "dry clean only" and the have Nissan certified "dry cleaning" equipment used for EVs and it could only be done by certified technicians. They said the equipment and training was very expensive. I paid $234.86 for the certified cleaning, and it looks great! :lol:

TurboFroggy said:
OMG, you used water? My dealer told me that I should never wash my Leaf, that it was "dry clean only" and the have Nissan certified "dry cleaning" equipment used for EVs and it could only be done by certified technicians. They said the equipment and training was very expensive. I paid $234.86 for the certified cleaning, and it looks great! :lol:
Now.....that's a GOOD one! LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Away from "special" cleaning facilities, what should one do at home?

Is it best to drive right after washing out the engine compartment to "blow" the water away?

Might water pool on the top side of the under-panels?

garygid said:
Away from "special" cleaning facilities, what should one do at home?

Is it best to drive right after washing out the engine compartment to "blow" the water away?

Might water pool on the top side of the under-panels?
Gary: Hair dryer would be good....but don't let your neighbor see you doing that; he'll send for the guys with the white jacket that ties in the back. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd use simple green, a toothbrush, and trickle of water from a hose. Or on second thought, maybe I'd just close the hood and not look under there again. It is an EV, y'know.

EDIT: Actually "Method" brand all-surface cleaner is a great product and seems to be superior to Simple Green overall. It guts grease films very well and is relatively non-toxic compared to Simple Green, 409, etc.

Try using white vinegar in a spray bottle and then wipe it off.

It works wonders on brake dust covered wheels! I used to work at a car dealership when I was a teenager and we used all sorts of crazy chemicals to detail the cars. I don't think any of them worked as well for cleaning the wheels as plain old white vinegar.

I am simply not gonna spray water into the LEAF's engine compartment. As a matter of fact, I've never sprayed water into any engine compartment. Maybe it's OK, maybe it's not. Water running copiously and freely over a bay full of electrical connectors is like fingernails on chalk board: it does not bother everybody, but it bothers the crap out of me. And certainly doubly so for the high-pressure water wand at some of the self-wash places.

I keep the engine bay clean by not letting it get too dirty in the first place. Every time I take the car to the car wash, I'd borrow a damp towel or two and pop the hood and wipe down stuff in the engine compartment. It only takes five-ten minutes, less if I only do one section of the engine compartment, doing other sections of the bay on next wash(es).

[For the pedantic-minded: the LEAF does have an engine.]

so the consensus for me (OP) is

probably avoid high pressure water.

use a degreaser/white vinegar

or get it done professionally

thanks for all the info, i'll try the second suggestion first!

Back