"Crunchy" brake pedal sound?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBELEAF

Is everyone else have what I could best describe as "crunchy" or "clickie" sound when you press the brake pedal? I've had this sound ever since I had the car and at times it gets annoying because the rest of the driving experience is quiet.

Thank you for offer. I wouldn't say it's a trouble, it's just a sound that a brake pedal makes when I press it. I have a dealership nearby, so if I am the only one that noticed, I might as well take it to them.

I dont have a leaf but I know what you mean. I test drove a leaf and the regen braking if you use it right can allow you to stop without using your brake pads or with very minimal use. I had the same thing on my current 2003 toyota echo and it was the rotors were rusted because the car wasnt driven in a while (no regen on the echo :p ).

To prevent such a thing from happening u have to from time to time just press the brake harder to get the disks and pads to create friction a little to prevent them from rusting up. (Dont hammer the brakes :p )

if thats not the case then it might b your brake pump (generally they are not cheap for any car out there :( )

I'm just waiting for the 2013 leaf to come here in Canada and see how it is improved for the winter, and if its slightly better than 2012 i am going for 1 :) untill then my little echo can do the trick for a guy my size (6ft 7in).

Let us know how this works out.

Cheers

Generally, in my experience, there should be no "noises" from braking, I believe. But, my high frequency hearing is gone!

Usually rust is not a problem with a frequently-used LEAF because the brake pads (should) move to (lightly) touch the rotor every time you (even lightly) brake.

I have not experienced this with my LEAF. I just got it last Monday.

As I was reading this thread it occurred to me that ABS will make a "crunching" sound when it is modulating the brakes because of a wheel slide. This could be rust on the rotors but considering it has been doing this from the beginning I would wonder about that.

I definately think it is worth taking to the dealer sooner rather than later. If it is the pump associated with ABS then it should be covered under warrantee.

JMHO :)

mkjayakumar said:
At 6' 7" I am not sure a car of the size of Leaf would be the right one...

Trust me I can drive the echo without any issues and its comfortable. Not as comfortable as a large SUV or pickup but compared to some other cars I have more room in the echo than in many others. Because of the seating arrangement you are sitting more upright so I have more leg room. The leaf has more driver and passenger space than the echo with a similar seating arrangement. The volt on the other hand is a no go :?

garygid said:
Back seat, probably not for you.
But, try the driver's seat!

I have tried the back seat in the leaf with my neck twisted sideways :p but there is much more room upfront and thank you nissan for not having a sunroof which adds 2 inches for the head :)

The car fits and it's surprisingly comfortable. I wish the steering wheel could telescope out some more and go up more but u cant get everything :D

Since it's never too late to bump a thread.. I have driven several (10+) 2016 S models through a car share service and they ALL do this. It's pretty difficult to describe but you can both hear and feel it in the brake pedal linkage and it seems like something that WD-40 in the correct place would fix. It might actually be originating in the master cylinder and whatever servo magic it's doing for the collaborative regen thing.

The only other minor issue that they all seem to have is a clunk type sound from the drivetrain under certain applications of power that seems like it's coming from either a motor mount or drive axle.

... Do you hear that noise as well when you start to accelerate afterwards? Meaning you hear that noise twice? Once when you break, and another time when you accelerate again?

Mordillo98 said:
... Do you hear that noise as well when you start to accelerate afterwards? Meaning you hear that noise twice? Once when you break, and another time when you accelerate again?

No only once as you roll into power, and it is a metal on metal clunk kind of sound.

Back