AC pump turns off when car is plugged in?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lettcco

I am not sure if the recent QC did this, but I remembered when I first bought my car I could have still run AC when I plug my car in.

So I checked the revised owner's manual, on page CH-4 it says if the car is in "ready" mode, it will go to "on" mode when you plug it in (which it did.) It also stated that climate control can be used during "on" mode. In my case, when I plug it in, in addition to the "ready" mode to "on" mode, the AC fan shuts off (although the AC button LED stay led.) Am I missing something?

The climate control does not function when the car is on charge. Last winter I tried to heat while on charge and could not.

I also adjusted a setting in which you can choose which has priority: climate control or charging. I switched between both but seems to have no effect.

lettcco said:
In my case, when I plug it in, in addition to the "ready" mode to "on" mode, the AC fan shuts off (although the AC button LED stay led.) Am I missing something?
You may be missing two things:
  • Those LEDs are controlled by some software that appears at times to have bugs in it.
  • AC does not mean "Air Cooled". It means the car's electronics want to be able to condition the air if they can. "Condition" means heat, cool, and/or dehumidify. "If they can" means if the car's state allows it.

Ray

I'm confused. I've charged twice recently while out on errands, so I used timer override, and then I put the car in ON mode (after start of charging) and ran the AC successfully with fan in order to cool the car while I would be gone. Then I left the car and locked it, keeping the key. The car beeped to complain the key was out of range, but stayed ON, cooling and charging.

Does that seem abnormal?

aleph5 said:
I'm confused. I've charged twice recently while out on errands, so I used timer override, and then I put the car in ON mode (after start of charging) and ran the AC successfully with fan in order to cool the car while I would be gone. Then I left the car and locked it, keeping the key. The car beeped to complain the key was out of range, but stayed ON, cooling and charging.

Does that seem abnormal?

Seems like a good work around. That's what I do only I do not have a charging timer set or HVAC timer set. When I run around, and have to stop for a few minutes, I leave the car running, put on the parking brake, lock the security container with the guns and ammo in it, take the keys and go do what I have to do, coming back to a car that is ready to go and warm or cool as needed.

I AM a little confused about comments herein that the AC and/or heat doesn't work when the car is plugged in. In winter I preheated the car by using the Android ap to start heating about 30 minutes before driving out, including seat and steering wheel heaters. I use the same climate control Icon to do the cooling when it is very hot and I am parked in my office parking lot in the sun, while the wall-street capitalistic puppet running dog roader Nomenklatura have their reserved parking places underground (come the revolution they will be underground, but I digress).

Dave

I have also ran the heater while charging. The one tidbit is that it would not charge below about 20% battery SOC (I started from near Turtle in 40-50F ambient temps).

So, I froze for about an hour or more. Then, without touching anything, the heater popped on while still charging.

That's what I do only I do not have a charging timer set or HVAC timer set.
Me neither.

I AM a little confused about comments herein that the AC and/or heat doesn't work when the car is plugged in. In winter I preheated the car by using the Android ap to start heating about 30 minutes before driving out, including seat and steering wheel heaters. I use the same climate control Icon to do the cooling when it is very hot and I am parked in my office parking lot in the sun,
I don't think there's any doubt, is there, that while charging you can start the climate control remotely (internet or phone). But having to remotely control the HVAC, when you can much easier just set it before leaving the car, is what you and I have figured out how to avoid. Once I know it's working like that, in fact, I don't really see a problem with leaving the dog in the car for a short period. (Another feature exclusive to EVs.) If I do that, though, I'll have to make some "Don't Worry..." signs to post in the windows or something.

kovalb said:
The climate control does not function when the car is on charge. Last winter I tried to heat while on charge and could not.

hmmm?

last winter i did it. i plugged in with car off. then turn on climate control from my phone

I just finished a 10 minute QC at Nissan HQ. I pulled up, turned the Leaf off, plugged into the QC and got back in the vehicle, I put foot on brake, pressed start button once and Leaf came alive again including the A/C on auto and nice and cool. Once the QC was completed I unplugged, put foot on brake, pressed start button once to turn off, then went through regular starting procedures and drove away. Very comforting on a 95+ day

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
I just finished a 10 minute QC at Nissan HQ. I pulled up, turned the Leaf off, plugged into the QC and got back in the vehicle, I put foot on brake, pressed start button once and Leaf came alive again including the A/C on auto and nice and cool. Once the QC was completed I unplugged, put foot on brake, pressed start button once to turn off, then went through regular starting procedures and drove away. Very comforting on a 95+ day

Dave

I can confirm that heater and AC work when quick charging. Used the AC when we were at the West Coast Green Highway ribbon cutting on Wednesday.

I can't get the ac to work while charging.
First I tried not turning off the car. Just put it in park and plugged in the EVSE. The fan kept blowing but it felt like the compressor wasn't running. I then tried to turn the car to "ON" but either I did that wrong and only hit "ACC" (side question : what's the difference between ON and ACC? )

So, right now the only solution I could come up with is remote triggering the climate from my phone.

There seems to be conflicting info even on this forum on this topic. Does anyone have a well documented approach to prove or disprove running climate control from shore power?

Ok. I dug a little deeper. It works IFF the car is already charging.

So my scenario will now look like this: pull into garage with sleeping baby in car. I decide I want shore power ( rather than just running off the battery). I turn off the car, hit timer override, plug in, get back in car (to keep sleeping baby company) push power button twice to get to "ON" then adjust temp as necessary.

My follow-on question. Can I get shore power climate control without turning off the car?

My AC will not function (no compressor) with just 'On'. Also, while QCing, turning the AC on remotely or in the car stops the QC.

Last winter I plugged in and the charger kicked on just after midnight and finished at 80%.
Every morning when I got up, I'd log on with the laptop and turn on climate control and the car
would pre-heat every time

Earlier this (HOT) summer, I would plug in the car when I got to work. By 10:30 it was charged up to 80% again.
In the afternoon if I had to do a run to the bank or whatever, I'd log on again and and turn on climate control and
the car would be cooled with a wet spot underneath from condensation.

BUT

the last 2 weeks, the lights and blower came on but the AC compressor did not seem to function. I think there could be bugs that need to be worked out or better instructions or whatever. It was great when it worked.
Losing more hair with head scratching.

You can definitely heat and cool while on a charger without using carwings. I have a guide on the climate control system (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) which talks about this some. In summary:
  • You have to have the car in ACC mode (press button twice or step on brake and press WHILE charging)
  • Heater only works in full AUTO mode
  • Will not engage until car reaches a certain charge level (20%?)
  • Charging on L1 there is not much energy for heating/cooling so it will be weaker

For those saying that the compressor would not turn on, I have had this happen although I cannot recall the exact scenario. The fix was either to to shut the climate control system off then on with AUTO and/or power cycle the car. (All this while car is charging.) It's only happened once. Next time I QC I'll try to recreate it again.

LEAFfan said:
My AC will not function (no compressor) with just 'On'. Also, while QCing, turning the AC on remotely or in the car stops the QC.

You say QC actually STOPS? I have never had that happen. If you can replicate this there may be a problem with the car or the charger. Might try the same experiment while using an L2 to see if it is the charger. Now I do wait until the QC actually gets going. If you try turning things on while it is still "negotiating" with the car you might disrupt the process--just a thought, I have not tried it.

SierraQ said:
  • You have to have the car in ACC mode (press button twice or step on brake and press WHILE charging)
Minor correction: You mean ON mode. ACC mode is when you press the button once; the console lights up and the radio works, but most other things don't. In ON mode both the console and dash light up, but the green car is missing in the middle of the dash.

Ray

SierraQ said:
You can definitely heat and cool while on a charger without using carwings. I have a guide on the climate control system (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) which talks about this some. In summary:
  • Heater only works in full AUTO mode
  • Will not engage until car reaches a certain charge level (20%?)
  • Charging on L1 there is not much energy for heating/cooling so it will be weaker

For those saying that the compressor would not turn on, I have had this happen although I cannot recall the exact scenario. The fix was either to to shut the climate control system off then on with AUTO and/or power cycle the car. (All this while car is charging.) It's only happened once. Next time I QC I'll try to recreate it again.

LEAFfan said:

You say QC actually STOPS? I have never had that happen. If you can replicate this there may be a problem with the car or the charger. Might try the same experiment while using an L2 to see if it is the charger. Now I do wait until the QC actually gets going. If you try turning things on while it is still "negotiating" with the car you might disrupt the process--just a thought, I have not tried it.
I can tell you that, just two days ago, I QC'ed and after starting the charger, I turned the car on (press power button while holding brake) and was able to run the AC with no problems.

Back