Where do the first 15 miles go?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp4rk

I've been looking for them. :)

Every time I charge mine to 100%, I get in, turn her on and see about 115 miles.

Within 1 mile, I am always down to 100.

No matter direction, wind, ECO, window up / dn, no A/C.

Where do they go?

Look up "Guess-o-Meter" and do some reading :)

I think you need to start downhill and drive slowly to keep the number that high. Pretty much, you have to drive the way it believes you had been driving previously, though there may be some added guessing in that calculation (surprise).

Set the cruise at 28 mph, climate control off, level road, warm day and I think you will rediscover the 15 and possibly a few more.

It is not an odometer or level of charge indicator. Try not to use it as one.

sp4rk said:
I've been looking for them. :)

Every time I charge mine to 100%, I get in, turn her on and see about 115 miles.

Within 1 mile, I am always down to 100.

What's the final section of your drive like when coming home? Downhill coasting? The initial guess is based on the driving you did right before you turned the car off, with the expectation that will continue indefinitely. If you had an easy time of it over those final miles, and you start off with the opposite situation, the overestimate will vanish quickly.

I think Nissan is playing tricks on you.. at the beginning of the day they want you to believe you have enough range, as the battery empties it becomes more realistic and as it gets closer to LBW it gets pessimistic do that you dont call a tow truck on Nissan's dime :)

I thought that someone had slipped a Tesla battery into my car when I wasn't looking when I saw this...
(it was 135 when I first saw it)
20120505_103556.jpg

Everyone likes to rip on the guess-o-meter. I really don't think it's that bad. I take it for what it is- a pitiful attempt at guessing how much range I have based on my most recent radically varying driving conditions. And as long as my expectations never go beyond that, I'm quite content with the guess-o-meter. :)

My drive is very similar all the time. Flat, boring, Illinois land. And a 3 mile radius of my home is just that ...

Ok, slight decline coming from the east. :D

Had Leaf for 3 weeks? Absolutely love it overall. In concept.

But find this GOM to be borderline "fraud". At minimum an insult to our intelligence.

Will be VERY interested in finding out next week how Tesla does indeed handle their equivalent.

kubel said:
Everyone likes to rip on the guess-o-meter. I really don't think it's that bad. I take it for what it is- a pitiful attempt at guessing how much range I have based on my most recent radically varying driving conditions. And as long as my expectations never go beyond that, I'm quite content with the guess-o-meter. :)
Try driving in mountains someday (but, yes, I know there aren't any within LEAF range of MI). The GoM is utterly useless except for entertainment value:

You people are getting silly..The mileage meter is very accurate...When you drive in you local street by your house just before charging your avg speed is around 15-25,(130-140)that will be your estimate after the charge is done and if you drive 15-25 on the entire charge...Once you hit 45 mph the meter is going to fall fast but its very accurate..

mark13 said:
You people are getting silly..The mileage meter is very accurate...When you drive in you local street by your house just before charging your avg speed is around 15-25,(130-140)that will be your estimate after the charge is done and if you drive 15-25 on the entire charge...Once you hit 45 mph the meter is going to fall fast but its very accurate..
:roll: Perhaps for flatlanders in climates that don't vary much.

What is overlooked in the discussion about the GoM is that the fuel gauge works well enough with a bit of experience. I know I can get home from town on two fuel bars. If I have one full bar showing on the gauge I can make it, given the hidden bar, even in winter, no GoM required. A proper SOC gauge would be even better.

The problem is that newcomers to the LEAF tend to place too much reliance on the GoM as if the information was accurate and relevant. Except under ideal conditions it simply isn't. Then they freak when the GoM tells them something strange and get "range anxiety". Better that the GoM, as currently implemented, didn't exist at all.
Herm said:
The Leaf needs two GOMs, one of them should use your average efficiency for the last two weeks.. keep it simple.
That would be a big improvement, at least for those with regular driving patterns such as with daily commuting.

dgpcolorado said:
That would be a big improvement, at least for those with regular driving patterns such as with daily commuting.

The vast majority of people (with a sit down job at a certain location) do have a regular driving pattern, like clockwork :)

kubel said:
Everyone likes to rip on the guess-o-meter. I really don't think it's that bad. I take it for what it is- a pitiful attempt at guessing how much range I have ...
Got it. It's not bad, just pitiful. :lol:

Herm said:
dgpcolorado said:
The vast majority of people (with a sit down job at a certain location) do have a regular driving pattern, like clockwork :)
No doubt, but there are quite a number of LEAF owners here who are retired. I tend to notice it because I retired rather young, so I am aware of the completely different driving patterns compared to those with daily commutes. (And when was working at a daily job—as opposed to my current volunteer work—I bicycle commuted my whole career.)

Back