Normal charging starts, then immediately stops

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickahaota

Hello! Long-time lurker, first-time poster...

My LEAF is still just about new (about a thousand miles on it). I charge it at home using a GE Wattstation. Yesterday afternoon, about half an hour after I got home and plugged it in, I got the "charging stopped" notification. I went out to the garage and sure enough, all the charging lights were out -- the first time I've had a problem. I unplugged the LEAF, turned the EVSE circuit off and on to make sure that the Wattstation was reset, then tried again. Both the LEAF and the Wattstation went through the normal start-of-charging sequence, and the charging lights on the dash and in the window showed that charging had begun... for about five seconds. Then everything shut down. I repeated the process; same result. When I started up the LEAF to see if there were any warnings, the master yellow warning light and the EV system light were on.

To see whether it was the car or the EVSE, I drove to the nearest public charging station (the SemaConnect at a local Walgreens). Same result. So I drove to the dealer and tried their Nissan-branded AutoVironment. Same result. When the fault occurs, the "Power Present", "Ready to Charge", and "Vehicle Connected" lights on the AeroVironment EVSE stay on; the "Vehicle Charging" and "Trouble" lights are both off.

The dealer (Campbell Nelson Nissan) checked for the obvious user errors like "charging timer turned on" and "debris in the charging connector"; finding none, and with their LEAF tech out of the shop, they put me in a loaner car and said that they'd get back to me on Monday morning.

I expect they'll find the problem, but in case they don't, has anyone run into this set of symptoms before?

(Now, of course, I wish I'd read one of the threads on the hidden diagnostic screens before I took the car to the shop... it would have been fun to see if the car was reporting some more detailed fault record...)

you will get new on board charger discussing why make not much sense here because it was discussed quit few times already. Dealer will also tell you problem is your GE evse

Back