Can NEVER charge to 80% again

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mksE55

this doesnt look good, I recently lost 1 battery bar and now the range seems severely limited. I have been able to do an easy 50 miles with room to spare and some 60-70mile trips with room. now It seems I cannot really go beyond 50 miles and thats with barely any charge left. today was a good test day. temps finally in 80s, 68 this am after 100% charge over night. GOM in AM said 77 miles, but I normally average 3.9m/KWH .So with a full charge and no AC I reset everything and so far. my range 53miles done, 13 miles left on GOM, 2 bars showing , and the energy use was showing 4.6m/KWh. the range PDF suggest I should be near 76miles. I am not finishes and I still have 8-9 miles to get back home from work. I may try and push it to VLBW this time to see how close I am. but i cannot see How I can charge to 80% and feel comfortable. there is no room for surprise trips or quick runs to the store on the way home. I would have to charge to 100% from now on to be sure I dont have to go home and change cars. I am on the 3 yr lease and was thinking this issue would come up but closer to the end of my 3 years, not the end of the first year. I do think the TX cars are headed down the 2nd bar loss in just a few months like AZ. My Dealer is 45 miles away and if my car cannot go from my house to the dealer on a charge I will have big issues with Nissan. I dont think many people figured on this issues when they purchased the car. how can you cont to practice long life battery charging if you cannot make it thru the day. I guess if we all could charge at home and work or along any stop this wouldnt be an issue. This seems like poor planning on Nissan if this is truly the design of their battery. Off soap box now :shock:

FINAL results
58.7 miles then LBW 8 miles left 1 bar, 4.6m/KWH
70.4 VLBW 3miles left 1 bar, then suddenly 3 flashing bars no miles. 4.6m/KWh avg speed 45-50mph city, rural roads.
so its not linear at the end. total was 71.4 when i parked in the garage. Now Timing how long to fully charged. L2, 5hrs almost exactly.

Just charge to 100% as needed, it wont hurt the battery unless you leave it at 100% for hours.. in any case things will get worse from now on so perhaps its time to start hypermiling.

You still have a lot of range left even after a 53 mile trip.

First off, call Nissan support 800-NO-GAS-EV (I think) and get a case number.

So would you say that it wasn't until the car actually lost the top capacity bar that the GOM adjusted for the reduced range?

The reason I ask is because if that is the case it would seem peculiar as opposed to the GOM adjusting with the remaining capacity after every given charge.

It may have had some reduce range but I was initially thinking it may be my poor driving habit since I normally run 3.9m/kwh an other get into the mid 4s. but if I cannot get more range even driving into the 4s. then how can I live with this and use the AC. or even in Winter when I really had reduced range but lucky me its TX and doesnt last long or is really that cold. but I have to have AC. how about headlights, wipers, radio, plug in my cell phone. wife says lets have lunch , her office is 10miles away, then back to work, then hey grab milk on the way home. If you look at my post in the past I noted many times in the 70s with 50-60 no problems room to spare, THIS is not life now.

Herm said:
Just charge to 100% as needed, it wont hurt the battery unless you leave it at 100% for hours.. in any case things will get worse from now on so perhaps its time to start hypermiling.

You still have a lot of range left even after a 53 mile trip.

I will post my final mileage later today.

if you charge to 100% and then take off within a few hours...like what's stopping you??

i charged to 100% and got home with 30-40% left. driving 50 miles averaging near 4.5 miles per k. could have charged to 80% but why??

what if i needed to do a side trip? like i said. what is stopping you?

DaveinOlyWA said:
if you charge to 100% and then take off within a few hours...like what's stopping you??

Nissan. not the recommended cycle for long battery life.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i charged to 100% and got home with 30-40% left. driving 50 miles averaging near 4.5 miles per k. could have charged to 80% but why??

I am not as lucky as you , My average is 3.9mKw 50miles and I am at 2 bars or less. lately

DaveinOlyWA said:

I dont want to walk home or ride in turtle mode.

mksE55 said:
I have to have AC. how about headlights, wipers, radio, plug in my cell phone.
The AC shouldn't be a big impact and lights, wipers, radio, cell phone etc are so close to zero they're not even worth considering. Just slow down.

mksE55 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
And leaving it in the garage because 80% isn't enough for you is better? It's a recommendation, not a commandment.

at this point, I think worrying about long life mode on a 1 year old battery that is already loosing range prematurely is just not worth it. do what you need to do to make the car useful to you for the time being. If Nissan doesn't come up with a satisfactory response to this relatively soon, the Leaf will become commercially extinct, in otherwords, they must do something. I'm thinking full scale, across the board recall and replacement with a new chemistry battery for everyone.

davewill said:
mksE55 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
And leaving it in the garage because 80% isn't enough for you is better? It's a recommendation, not a commandment.

mksE55 said:
7I have been able to do an easy 50 miles with room to spare and some 60-70mile trips with room. now It seems I cannot really go beyond 50 miles and thats with barely any charge left.
<snip>
FINAL results
70.4 VLBW 3miles left 1 bar, then suddenly 3 flashing bars no miles. 4.6m/KWh avg speed 45-50mph city, rural roads.
so its not linear at the end. total was 71.4 when i parked in the garage.
So you said you couldn't go beyond 50 miles, then turned right around and went more than 70 miles. That should have convinced you that you can do it; you just have to modify your driving style and be willing to use the whole battery. As others have said, charging to 100% is fine, just don't leave the battery sitting at 100% for long periods of time. I believe that running it down to VLBW is also fine, but that's about where the knee in the battery's voltage curve occurs, so going much beyond that is likely to be hard on the battery.

Sadly, you do have a battery which is more than 15% degraded, so it's too late to worry about "long life mode". Treat the car gently while driving, but use the whole battery whenever you have to. If worst comes to worst, you can always slow way down for the last few miles, and nearly double the distance you can eke out at the end without getting to turtle. If you are five miles from home, even slowing to 20 MPH would only cost you ten extra minutes.

Ray

mksE55 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

DaveinOlyWA said:

I am not as lucky as you , My average is 3.9mKw 50miles and I am at 2 bars or less. lately

DaveinOlyWA said:

I dont want to walk home or ride in turtle mode.

i have to think you are missing my point here. what were you expecting? "long life" meant forever? what were your plans for next year or the year after?

eventually the batteries will go away. you might get lucky and your employer will put in a charge station and you can go to 60% charging, or better yet; your state will create a law so EVERYONE can charge at work but fact of the matter; you need a game plan and its pretty much a straight forward one.

either way, you are assigning way too much stress to this. charge it to meet your needs, you will do fine

Not stressing just stating facts, I think this issues is lost on most people and not something you consider when your under the impression, of 20% battery loss in 5 years. I think this will also degrade everyones battery faster as other have mentioned because you are doing deeper cycle charges on the battery capacity that is left.

Plant4: that was best case, not driving like I would any other car I own. I dont think you can sell EV's then tell everyone just drive slow and do everything you can to conserve your battery if you want to use this car. The whole Idea is this was a normal car and if you drive it like a normal car you would get about 74miles per charge and if your good it could bed drive almost 100 miles. granted I did get some 80mile trips with battery left when I was driving it in the spring and trying to hypermile.

mksE55 said:
Not stressing just stating facts, I think this issues is lost on most people and not something you consider when your under the impression, of 20% battery loss in 5 years. I think this will also degrade everyones battery faster as other have mentioned because you are doing deeper cycle charges on the battery capacity that is left.

Plant4: that was best case, not driving like I would any other car I own. I dont think you can sell EV's then tell everyone just drive slow and do everything you can to conserve your battery if you want to use this car. The whole Idea is this was a normal car and if you drive it like a normal car you would get about 74miles per charge and if your good it could bed drive almost 100 miles. granted I did get some 80mile trips with battery left when I was driving it in the spring and trying to hypermile.

My advice is just to charge it and drive it like it had no limitations and enjoy the moment. Let the future take care of itself. And believe (strongly) that Nissan will replace your pack with a new and improved model in Sept. :mrgreen:

mksE55 said:
FINAL results
I calculate 12.76 kWh available from 100% to LBW. If there are 3.4 kWh still available at LBW, then you have a total of 16.16 kWh available to you. This is about 77% of the 21 kWh available in a new battery.

Unfortunately, it appears that you may lose your second bar fairly soon.

RegGuheert said:
mksE55 said:
FINAL results
I calculate 12.76 kWh available from 100% to LBW. If there are 3.4 kWh still available at LBW, then you have a total of 16.16 kWh available to you. This is about 77% of the 21 kWh available in a new battery.

Thanks Always looking for a ray of HOPE :D

RegGuheert said:
mksE55 said:
FINAL results

Based on the statistics we have available (mean 52.7 days between losing one bar and losing two bars), you probably have another 5 weeks left before your second bar loss:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss#Analysis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, if it cools down before then you may last somewhat longer.

One of the things on my wish list is a 90% charge (or some programmable option). For batteries that are degrading, this may be a reasonable option so we don't have to go to 100% on every charge. I have 60mile commute and while I could come back with 15 miles left when the car was new, now it is down to 8 or so. In winter I believe I will have to go to 100% charge for sure.

mksE55 said:
this doesnt look good, I recently lost 1 battery bar and now the range seems severely limited. I have been able to do an easy 50 miles with room to spare and some 60-70mile trips with room. now It seems I cannot really go beyond 50 miles and thats with barely any charge left. today was a good test day. temps finally in 80s, 68 this am after 100% charge over night. GOM in AM said 77 miles, but I normally average 3.9m/KWH .So with a full charge and no AC I reset everything and so far. my range 53miles done, 13 miles left on GOM, 2 bars showing , and the energy use was showing 4.6m/KWh. the range PDF suggest I should be near 76miles. I am not finishes and I still have 8-9 miles to get back home from work. I may try and push it to VLBW this time to see how close I am. but i cannot see How I can charge to 80% and feel comfortable. there is no room for surprise trips or quick runs to the store on the way home. I would have to charge to 100% from now on to be sure I dont have to go home and change cars. I am on the 3 yr lease and was thinking this issue would come up but closer to the end of my 3 years, not the end of the first year. I do think the TX cars are headed down the 2nd bar loss in just a few months like AZ. My Dealer is 45 miles away and if my car cannot go from my house to the dealer on a charge I will have big issues with Nissan. I dont think many people figured on this issues when they purchased the car. how can you cont to practice long life battery charging if you cannot make it thru the day. I guess if we all could charge at home and work or along any stop this wouldnt be an issue. This seems like poor planning on Nissan if this is truly the design of their battery. Off soap box now :shock:

FINAL results
so its not linear at the end. total was 71.4 when i parked in the garage. Now Timing how long to fully charged. L2, 5hrs almost exactly.

mksE55 said:
Not stressing just stating facts, [...]
LEAFfan said:
My advice is just to charge it and drive it like it had no limitations and enjoy the moment. Let the future take care of itself.
Your doctor probably routinely compliments you on your extra-low blood pressure. :D
LEAFfan said:
And believe (strongly) that Nissan will replace your pack with a new and improved model in Sept. :mrgreen:
OK, put down the crack pipe and slowly back away from your keyboard... :D

aqn said:
mksE55 said:
Not stressing just stating facts, [...]
LEAFfan said:
My advice is just to charge it and drive it like it had no limitations and enjoy the moment. Let the future take care of itself.
Your doctor probably routinely compliments you on your extra-low blood pressure. :D
LEAFfan said:
And believe (strongly) that Nissan will replace your pack with a new and improved model in Sept. :mrgreen:
OK, put down the crack pipe and slowly back away from your keyboard... :D

+1 :mrgreen:

Back