Piro
Delivery Date: 19 Feb 2017

Re: Extending range of 24kWh Leaf with LeafBox

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:02 am

Stanton wrote:This is what I originally suspected, so glad to see it proved out. Unfortunately, the times I need range extension are on trips that are (mostly) highway, which reduces the value of LeafBox for me. There's no range-killer like speed for an EV ;)

Yes, you are right. If we assume 100% highway usage - then just simple physics says, that LeafBox cannot help with range.

Whole improvement comes from city driving, moderate long distance journeys, living in hilly region, or mountains.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:45 pm

Since I'll be extending my lease again, I'm interested. I drive mainly secondary roads at 30-50MPH, with some highway use at 55MPH. It's moderately hilly here. Any idea how much more range I could get?
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Piro

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:06 am

LeftieBiker wrote:Since I'll be extending my lease again, I'm interested. I drive mainly secondary roads at 30-50MPH, with some highway use at 55MPH. It's moderately hilly here. Any idea how much more range I could get?

After collecting all data from testers - it looks, that 10% or more (more city drive = better result). This also depends on drivers' skills, as huge part of range improvement comes from using "coasting/gliding" function of LeafBox.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:15 am

I'm pretty good at coasting (my Vectrix motorcycle will coast), but rarely bother to shift to R/N to do it. What's the process? Are you still testing, or selling or renting it?
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Piro

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:06 am

LeftieBiker wrote:I'm pretty good at coasting (my Vectrix motorcycle will coast), but rarely bother to shift to R/N to do it. What's the process? Are you still testing, or selling or renting it?

It is a finished product, available from http://vtechtuning.eu/leafbox.html

Let's say it is a "half-commercial" product - I use money to develop products for other EV cars.

VitaminJ
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 415775

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:00 am

LeftieBiker wrote:I'm pretty good at coasting (my Vectrix motorcycle will coast), but rarely bother to shift to R/N to do it. What's the process? Are you still testing, or selling or renting it?

As described in the videos and the first pages of this thread; LeafBox changes D mode to "Glide" mode. In this mode the "dead zone" of the pedal is larger to allow your foot to easily rest in a position where the motor will go to 0 kw/neutral. The stock Leaf already does this but you need supreme foot control as the pedal "dead zone" is only 1-2cm. This way you can cruise in D and with just a movement of your foot instantly switch to neutral and coast at maximum efficiency and not have to deal with the shifter at all.
2013 Ocean Blue SV w/ QC and LED

PM me about converting your 120v EVSE to 240v

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”