Degradation Graphs and Warranty Prediction

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fzx101

I bought a 2012 SV with 11 bars back in May. On my first day of ownership I dropped down to 10 bars. As of yesterday I'm down to 9 bars. My warranty is up at the end of August so here's what I've done to predict whether I'll be down to 8 bars by then.

Since I bought my 2012 SV I've put on about 28.5 miles per day.
kamEF6u.png

As the miles added up, the battery capacity has gone down.
ur4dp2I.png

The battery capacity is well correlated to date, so let's extrapolate and see if I'll make the warranty.
DWQNpSv.png

Here, I've added the date cut off for warranty (the vertical line) and the AHr cut off at which I think I'll lose my 9th bar (41.75 Ahr). Unfortunately the trend show that I'll be slightly above cut off at the warranty date.
Ktk2OYY.png

So what can I do to make sure things fall in my favor? I've been charging to 100% each day, but not really been doing anything else special. I live in NC so I'm looking forward to a nice hot summer. I welcome any comments or suggestions. Thanks!

It looks like you have plenty of miles left but limited time on the capacity warranty. The best chance of losing that 4th bar is to drive as much as you can each day. Don't use DCQC unless you need the range because DCQC tends to temporarily improve the battery statistics. Use L2 charging, charge to 100%, and discharge as deeply as possible each day. I doubt that you will lose the bar in time, but there is a chance because the rate of loss looks high like the LBC (lithium battery controller) might have been reset and is still learning actual battery capacity.

there is a chance because the rate of loss looks high like the LBC (lithium battery controller) might have been reset and is still learning actual battery capacity.

How long does it take for a reset LBC to learn?

41.75Ahr is probably a fairly sure bet, but it's possible to lose before then; the average for 2011/2012 is around 42.5Ahr. Here's what I've found from 2011/2012 reports:
pubchart

I've been thinking along the same lines; here's my projection for my 2012:
pubchart

I picked my Ahr "goal" at 42. Also looks like I might barely make it, though as they say, Winter is Coming!

(p.s. yeah, your rate of drop sure looks like something got reset - 5Ahr in 1k mile / 2 months is really quick)

Run the A/C while the car is stationary, in the sun, on hot days.
It is like frying an egg/battery.

I've seen posts for 11-12 MY losing the 4th bar anywhere from 43.35 and lower. My 12 is at 43.9 and my warranty is up 11/15/17. Also, I've been hearing about out of warranty support from Nissan where they may offer a replacement at 8 bars where the cost is shared. Case by case basis as I understand it. For me, it's good relations as they don't want bad press while they're trying to sell the '18.

baustin said:
My SV was made in January 2013. It is down to 39.25ah and still has not dropped the fourth bar.

Wow. I've been tempted to start a thread of "what's your sub-43-Ahr 9 bar reading?" - We have a lot of stats for where people did drop the 9th bar, but not on low-Ahr cars that are still hanging on...

Back