freefaller
Delivery Date: 06 Sep 2017

Re: How to quickly initiate 100% charge

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:19 am

DuncanCunningham wrote:...and go to bed. it's late over there.

I already had ;)

DuncanCunningham wrote:If you are in England, I would not worry about 100% charge unless you are going to leave it for days like that. the major issue that kills batteries seems to be temperature and you don't have that in England.

Well, that could be the issue - I will on average only drive it on 3 days of the week (I only commute to the office 2 days a week) so it's regularly going to sit on the drive for 2 or 3 days without moving . And on basis that alone, I'm tempted to think that keeping it at 80% and throwing it up to 100% occasionally is probably a better way forward.

freefaller

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:22 am

LeftieBiker wrote:If the car lets you choose 80% or 100% charge regardless of timer (we have that for 2013 only) then you have to have that general setting at 100%. Otherwise I don't think it will charge to 100% when the override is pressed, because that button is literally just a "timer override."

I think this is a very valid comment... and makes a lot of sense. Keeping the timer on 80% will only take it to 80% on the standard overnight top-up. Then pressing the override (either in the car, or using the "Start Charging" option in the app) should then take it to 100% when required.

I think I need a bit of time to play.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:22 am

freefaller wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:If the car lets you choose 80% or 100% charge regardless of timer (we have that for 2013 only) then you have to have that general setting at 100%. Otherwise I don't think it will charge to 100% when the override is pressed, because that button is literally just a "timer override."

I think this is a very valid comment... and makes a lot of sense. Keeping the timer on 80% will only take it to 80% on the standard overnight top-up. Then pressing the override (either in the car, or using the "Start Charging" option in the app) should then take it to 100% when required.

I think I need a bit of time to play.

For years I've had a timer set for activation anytime (start and stop time the same time every day) and the car's limit set to 100% but the timer for 80%. It works just as described. The only reason I qualified my statement was that I have never set the car's limit to 80% and then tried to override it.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Durandal
Delivery Date: 22 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 025018

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:04 am

LeftieBiker wrote: For years I've had a timer set for activation anytime (start and stop time the same time every day) and the car's limit set to 100% but the timer for 80%. It works just as described. The only reason I qualified my statement was that I have never set the car's limit to 80% and then tried to override it.

Oh, very handy idea! I will have to give this a try.
Pulled the trigger on going EV on 10/2016 with a 2012 Leaf, and a Tesla Model 3 reservation expected to receive in June 2018.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:36 am

Not my idea. A lot of us have been using it for years, though. It doesn't matter what time of day you use for start/stop, unless it matters to you that it will charge briefly at that time, to stay at 80%. Or 79% in my car's case, for some reason...
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

freefaller

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:28 am

I think we have a winner :D The car charged overnight to 80% as requested under the timer settings. I've just ask it to "start charging" via the app, and it is now progressing towards the 100% as per the general settings.

LeftieBiker wrote:For years I've had a timer set for activation anytime (start and stop time the same time every day) and the car's limit set to 100% but the timer for 80%. It works just as described. The only reason I qualified my statement was that I have never set the car's limit to 80% and then tried to override it.

This is a nice idea, I like it - however it doesn't work for people who have cheaper electricity overnight, and are in a position where they can wait until "tomorrow" to get the car back to a charged state.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”