Nissan Connect - Weak Cell Phone

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcjetpilot

I got the 3G upgrade and loved being able to see the charge on my phone. It worked for about a month. However for almost a week I have not able to connect. The exact text message is:

"Status update failed due to weak cell reception. To change alerts visit the Nissan Owner Portal."

It always worked when car was in garage, but thought that was it. However I parked it outside and different locations, still failing.
I'll give Nissan a call tomorrow. One great thing about Nissan vs. Tesla (besides it costing 1/4th the price of a used Tesla) is better support and dealer network.

My 3G upgrade stopped working after a month because the telematics unit locked up. You can either disconnect the 12-volt battery or remove the fuse that powers it briefly to reset it. I recommend that you reset it because it stays awake and keeps other modules in the car active so the 12-volt battery will be deeply discharged if the car is not driven for a few days. I have had to reset the telematics unit 3 or 4 times since I had the upgrade installed last December. There is a long thread on this subject under the "Range, Efficiency, and CarWings" section.

Edited to add link:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21573

gmcjetpilot said:
I got the 3G upgrade and loved being able to see the charge on my phone. It worked for about a month. However for almost a week I have not able to connect. The exact text message is:

"Status update failed due to weak cell reception. To change alerts visit the Nissan Owner Portal."

It always worked when car was in garage, but thought that was it. However I parked it outside and different locations, still failing.
I'll give Nissan a call tomorrow. One great thing about Nissan vs. Tesla (besides it costing 1/4th the price of a used Tesla) is better support and dealer network.

Mine does this periodically, much less now that I replaced the original 12v battery that came with the car. The easiest way to reboot the TCU is to pull the 20amp audio fuse for about 60 seconds, and then replace it. It is the yellow fuse near the center of the smaller block between the motor and 12v battery. Give it about five minutes to boot and connect before trying to use it.

Thanks it seems like the problem went away..... I'm not sure why I was having that constant issue with signal strength isdue.. I did try it a different locations at home and work and still had the problem. Now it's consistently connecting.

I contacted Nissan helpline (via on line chat), and told them about the issue. They asked me to go get a bunch of information off the car. It was a 5 minute long walk to parking lot (I was at work). During my walk to car, I tried to connect. It started working??? Figures. It's possible they sent some kind of a reset signal? I don't know. I gave the chat operator the information they request and told them it was now working. That was the end of the chat. It's been good perfect for a week.

It could possibly be an AT&T issue, because we had a storm come through a few months ago that knocked out several cell towers. They may have been in the middle of maintenance and some signal coverage outages possibly.

I do like the nissan connect. It's slow but it works. I really would dislike doing without it; not an absolute must-have, but it's definitely convenient.

Back