I've joined the 7 bars club

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alozzy said:
Don't know what creative accounting Tesla used to convince some people that they made profit in 2017
You realize that it's 2018 now, and we're talking only about Q3 2018, right?
I don't think anybody thought Tesla made a profit in 2017.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
lorenfb said:
garsh said:
Model 3 starts at $49k currently, but the $35k version should be available early next year.

Amazing, that some still believe this!

don't worry lorenfb, in 3 months you can either say you told us so, or eat crow. the time is coming soon.
Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote the above on Oct 15, 2018.

https://3.tesla.com/model3/design#battery right now says "Standard Battery available in 4-6 months".

Funny how on the same day as Oils4AsphaultOnly I noted at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=538599#p538599 that Tesla's page back then claimed "3-6 months".

I opened this thread to read more about "the 7 bars club", as I expect to be there in the not-to-distant future. Unfortunately, I see more off-topic posts. Please refrain from doing that and keep them in their appropriate threads. TIA.

As of August 13, 2019, my 2013 Leaf is officially part of this elite club. LeafSpy currently shows 58.41% SOH with only about 48,250 miles. August seems to be the month for it to lose a bar, so I guess in August 2020 I'll enter the 6 bars club. Yippie.

TLeaf13 said:
As of August 13, 2019, my 2013 Leaf is officially part of this elite club. LeafSpy currently shows 58.41% SOH with only about 48,250 miles. August seems to be the month for it to lose a bar, so I guess in August 2020 I'll enter the 6 bars club. Yippie.

I assume that you have a Leaf built before April of 2013, and live in a warm climate...?

LeftieBiker said:
TLeaf13 said:

I assume that you have a Leaf built before April of 2013, and live in a warm climate...?

Correct, it was built 2/2013 and I live where it regularly is in the 90s during summer (occasionally low 100s). I've tried so hard to be optimistic and hopeful about this car, but I may have to see if a dealer will take it as a trade. Unfortunately, in addition to the terrible battery it has a $2,800 brake booster problem (which I've written about before), so I'd be shocked if a dealer would actually take it.

I wish Nissan would have at least kept their "Good Will" offer going for the 2013 Leafs. They ended that just a few months before my car dropped to 8 bars (about 5 months out of warranty). I also hate getting the "I told you so" from my wife about the Leaf. I love having an electric car, but she's right about this specific Leaf. My overall experience with it has been disastrous.

I sometimes get asked what the range is of my car. It's embarrassing to say "Maybe 45-50 miles - but mine has a bad battery." I just told that to a guy a few days ago who was charging his Fiat. I guess I want to make sure people know it's not all Leafs that have bad batteries.

TLeaf13 said:
LeftieBiker said:
TLeaf13 said:

Correct, it was built 2/2013 and I live where it regularly is in the 90s during summer (occasionally low 100s). I've tried so hard to be optimistic and hopeful about this car, but I may have to see if a dealer will take it as a trade. Unfortunately, in addition to the terrible battery it has a $2,800 brake booster problem (which I've written about before), so I'd be shocked if a dealer would actually take it.

I wish Nissan would have at least kept their "Good Will" offer going for the 2013 Leafs. They ended that just a few months before my car dropped to 8 bars (about 5 months out of warranty). I also hate getting the "I told you so" from my wife about the Leaf. I love having an electric car, but she's right about this specific Leaf. My overall experience with it has been disastrous.

I sometimes get asked what the range is of my car. It's embarrassing to say "Maybe 45-50 miles - but mine has a bad battery." I just told that to a guy a few days ago who was charging his Fiat. I guess I want to make sure people know it's not all Leafs that have bad batteries.

You might still have the last laugh.

There's a Canadian shop that does 40kwh battery swaps (they include a canbus module that helps the car speak correctly with the BMS): https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/10/a-2012-leaf-with-150-miles-of-range/

They're working on a DIY kit if you're inclined.

It might seem like an overhaul, but someday replacing an old battery would no longer be a big deal and we won't have to build so many cars each year.

Back