EVDRIVER

Re: Charging with portable generator?

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:06 am

smkettner wrote:
TomT wrote:Note that most such generators will not properly handle the ground test of the EVSE and thus will not charge. You can make an adapter with a plug and a couple of resistors to solve this problem. This was discussed in detail in the other generator thread on the forum...

Is that true with 230/240 volts? I thought the ground/neutral bonding check was just a 120 volt issue.

EVSE upgrade can lift the ground if needed for generator use, without resistors.

Canardian
Delivery Date: 23 Sep 2013

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:03 am

EVDRIVER wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:To avoid redundant threads please search the threads using the google search tool, this topic is covered extensively.

It would have been helpful to http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4047 LINK to a topic, too.

This would be a full time job. It would be helpful if members would try a simple search first. Feel free to provide this service:) Unfortunately this forum needs far too much baby sitting and has far too many redundant threads.

Actually I did search, but didn't find any L1 generator thread. The other one was talking about a trailer with a generator and the other one about L2 generator.

L2 generator would of course be nice, but I think they would be too big and too heavy to be carried regularly on longer trips around.

Anyway thanks for the experiences, so far what I could gather is:
- make sure the generator produces true sine wave (can be probably measured with a oscilloscope)
- if charging does not work, try half-trottle
- the smell of gas should be eliminated (perhaps by storing the generator in a sealed plastic case)
- main purpose is only for emergency charging to get to the next outlet and avoid expensive towing (leaf must be towed with 2 wheels on the ground, with 4 wheels on the ground it will damage the car)

TonyWilliams

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:01 am

Canardian wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote: It would have been helpful to http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4047 LINK to a topic, too.

This would be a full time job. It would be helpful if members would try a simple search first. Feel free to provide this service:) Unfortunately this forum needs far too much baby sitting and has far too many redundant threads.

- make sure the generator produces true sine wave (can be probably measured with a oscilloscope)
- the smell of gas should be eliminated (perhaps by storing the generator in a sealed plastic case)
- main purpose is only for emergency charging to get to the next outlet and avoid expensive towing (leaf must be towed with 2 wheels on the ground, with 4 wheels on the ground it will damage the car)

1- Make a grounding plug (covered in other threads)
2- Make sure the generator is operated at "continuos load" amp setting and not above (it may be called a 2kW genset, but only capable of 1.6kW continuous). Divide the kW by the voltage (120/240) to get how many amps you can pull. So, 1.6kW / 120 volts = 13.3 amps. With such a limit, you could operate at the typical stock 120 volt - 12 amp setting of the EVSE. If you have your EVSE so modified, you could select the exact amperage of the EVSE to match the generator limits.
3- Hauling gasoline in a passenger compartment is potentially deadly and illegal. Consider storing your gasoline in a small, sturdy container under the hood, strapped or bolted down. Or, add a trailer hitch receiver and use a simple external rack to place the generator and gasoline.
4- Towing is free with a LEAF for three years. Also, while 4 wheel towing might be discouraged in the owner's manual, if the car is in neutral, you aren't going to hurt anything. It will merely turn the motor freely like coasting down the road. Sorry, there's no bogey man there.

MODERATORS - Please merge this with the appropriate thread.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:09 am

Canardian wrote:Actually I did search, but didn't find any L1 generator thread. The other one was talking about a trailer with a generator and the other one about L2 generator.

L2 generator would of course be nice, but I think they would be too big and too heavy to be carried regularly on longer trips around.

Actually the generator in the first post was 230 volts. I call that L2. Maybe the title should be changed.

L1 is 120 volts AFAIK.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
I-Pace on order for end of 2018 delivery

toasty

Re: Charging with L1 portable generator?

Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:31 pm

A Honda EU2000i is rated for 2000W, 120v
Weighs 46lbs.

At full 2kW load, it will run 4 hours on 1.1 gallons of gas.

The L1 EVSE uses 1350W. Figure 5 hours, then?

So, a 5hr L1 charge at 1.1 gallons is good for 27 miles, or... 24mpg.

= pointless

davewill

Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:17 pm

toasty wrote:...So, a 5hr L1 charge at 1.1 gallons is good for 27 miles, or... 24mpg.

= pointless
If it were the only way to get from point A to B, then I could see doing it once or twice. However, electricity is pretty much EVERYWHERE. I would think that in most instances, an outlet could be found. You might have to ask nicely, or offer to pay, but you should be able to find one most times.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

leafedbehind
Delivery Date: 11 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 8198

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:32 am

If you live in an area where there are frequent power outages, having such a generator at home would keep you from being stranded, if you only owned EVs. Of course, people who live in such areas probably already have one.
2011 SL-e, silver, VIN 8198, delivered 11 Sep 2011. 37k miles, ~200 GIDs, 9 bars (1st bar lost 3 April 2014 @20,700 mi, 3rd bar lost Aug 2017)
2015 e-Golf SEL
2013 Fit EV, VIN 151, delivered 17 Nov 2012, lease return Nov 2015 at 30k miles
7.7kW solar PV

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:07 pm

leafedbehind wrote:If you live in an area where there are frequent power outages, having such a generator at home would keep you from being stranded, if you only owned EVs. Of course, people who live in such areas probably already have one.

Yes, but they aren't usually sine wave types. The little Champion gen I have for outages might be able to charge the Leaf on L-1 (or even L-2) but I don't think I'd risk it.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

donald
Delivery Date: 29 Jul 2013

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Why would it need to be a pure sine wave? Surely, the first thing an EVSE switch mode current limiter would do is rectify the input waveform to feed DC power capacitors?

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:48 pm

Virtually all generators are sine wave. Although some loads will cause significant distortion. Sine wave is the natural form when a coil of wire passes next to a magnet on a regular basis.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
I-Pace on order for end of 2018 delivery

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”