6.6kw charger on 2013 nissan leaf model S?!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NissanLeafCamper

Guys, I am going to buy a used 2013 nissan leaf model S but I have no idea how to check/know if the car has the "Charge Package" I hear so often about. How exactly do you know it has it? Does it say on the window when you plug it in to charge? Does anyone have a picture if so? The guys at the dealer have nooooooo cluuuuueeeee whatsoever and I have even less of a clue because this is my first leaf.

How exactly do you know if a model S 2013 has the 6.6kw charger package? How do you check to make sure it has it?

IIRR, the S charge package includes the 6.0 ( not 6.6) kW OBC and CHAdeMO, so if it has a (working) CHAdeMO port, you're good to go. See https://www.google.com/search?q=nissan+leaf+chademo+port&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=6jGbVZjKDIfYoATN6IWICw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAw&biw=1024&bih=614

CHAdeMO is the larger port on the left.

GRA said:
IIRR, the S charge package includes the 6.0 ( not 6.6) kW OBC and CHAdeMO, so if it has a (working) CHAdeMO port, you're good to go. See https://www.google.com/search?q=nissan+leaf+chademo+port&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=6jGbVZjKDIfYoATN6IWICw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAw&biw=1024&bih=614

Thanks GRA :),

So basically if the 2013 leaf model S has the CHAdeMO then it automatically will have the 6.0kw charger because that was part of the package? Good to know sadly none of the S's I saw today had a CHAdeMO :(. Do you know if the higher trims (SL and SV) in 2013 automatically had the CHAdeMO / 6.0kw charger? Or did you have to pick/add into the purchase of the trim?

Another question: What about the 2012 leaf and under? Did they have the option of a CHAdeMO charge package to upgrade the regular charger to 6.0kw? Or was this not available in those older models?

NissanLeafCamper said:
GRA said:

Thanks GRA :),

So basically if the 2013 leaf model S has the CHAdeMO then it automatically will have the 6.0kw charger because that was part of the package? Good to know sadly none of the S's I saw today had a CHAdeMO :(. Do you know if the higher trims (SL and SV) in 2013 automatically had the CHAdeMO / 6.0kw charger? Or did you have to pick/add into the purchase of the trim?
Yes, if the S has CHAdeMO it has the 6.0 OBC. IIRR the 2013 SV and SL both came with the 6.0 kW charger - SL also came with CHAdeMO standard. The optional charger package for the SV included CHAdeMO and, IIRC, LED headlights instead of the 6.0 OBC (which all the SVs had). IIRC, the 2013 SV and SL also came with 'B' mode, which the S lacked (along with the heat pump, and neither was an option for it). Edit: This ievs article has the info: http://insideevs.com/2013-nissan-leaf-overview-and-specifications/

2012 and earlier LEAFs only had the 3.3 kW OBC - the 6.0 kW was an option introduced with the 2013 MY. BTW, the confusion between 6.0 and 6.6 kW OBC is due to the fact that Nissan changed the way they rated them between the original 3.3 kW OBC, and the later "6.6" kW [Sic.] OBC. The 3.3 kW was the output power from the charger (input was 3.84 kW), while the "6.6" kW was the input TO the charger; output is 6.0 kW. Nissan did this in order to compete with the Ford Focus and other BEVs which were appearing with 6.6 kW output chargers, and needless to say didn't call attention to the change. IIRR, this was first pointed out here at MNL.

GRA said:
2012 and earlier LEAFs only had the 3.3 kW OBC - the 6.0 kW was an option introduced with the 2013 MY. BTW, the confusion between 6.0 and 6.6 kW OBC is due to the fact that Nissan changed the way they rated them between the original 3.3 kW OBC, and the later "6.6" kW [Sic.] OBC. The 3.3 kW was the output power from the charger (input was 3.84 kW), while the "6.6" kW was the input TO the charger; output is 6.0 kW. Nissan did this in order to compete with the Ford Focus and other BEVs which were appearing with 6.6 kW output chargers, and needless to say didn't call attention to the change. IIRR, this was first pointed out here at MNL.

Thanks GRA that pretty much answered all my questions :). I also booked marked the insideevs web page which has all the info I needed. I will look it up next time I have an EQ question. If all goes well I should have my used leaf before the end of this month :)! Here is hoping!

Thank you so much GRA!

Guys I found a 2013 S that might just be the one I am looking for. I asked the dealer to take a picture of the ports and it looks like it has both of them:

1Os94aU.jpg

Big and small one. That is the quick charger right? On the left? If so then it should 6.0kh charge on the smaller one correct?

Yes and yes. I'm assuming you'll also check the capacity bars, and/or will get yourself LEAFSpy and the OBD II dongle to see even more precisely what shape the battery is in before you plunk down your money.

NissanLeafCamper said:
If so then it should 6.0kh charge on the smaller one correct?

Yes but with one caveat: the EVSE (often mistakenly called a "charger") must also supply 6.6 kW, or 27.5 amps at 240 volts. A few public charging stations are only at 208 volts, and not 240.

If you use an EVSE supplying less than 6.6 kW, you won't be charging your Leaf at "full speed."

RonDawg said:
NissanLeafCamper said:

Yes but with one caveat: the EVSE (often mistakenly called a "charger") must also supply 6.6 kW, or 27.5 amps at 240 volts. A few public charging stations are only at 208 volts, and not 240.

If you use an EVSE supplying less than 6.6 kW, you won't be charging your Leaf at "full speed."
I find the 208v fed units usually supply around 5.5 kWh with some as low as 5kWh. But I also suspect that they can be limited by the installer according to the building service or owner's preference.

IMHO I read the IEV post differently, it looks to me that a 2013 S can have the 6.6 (6.0 w/e) kW OBC but not the DC fast charge. Can anyone corroborate?

I do know how to check the power rating on the 120/240 charger: on the passenger side of the "stack" near the top (what looks like it would be a valve cover on a transverse I4 engine) you can peer in between a few hoses/etc and see the nameplate label for the charger - it should say either 3.3 kW or 6.6 kW. If I can find the photo I found I will post.

Well, this paints a different picture. I suppose the 6.6 kW OBC and DC quick charger are the same package.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit

Three new option packages are added for 2013, allowing buyers to further select the exact equipment and features for their needs. The Quick Charge Package (S grade only) includes the 6.6 kW onboard charger, Quick Charge Port and RearView Monitor. The LED Headlights + Quick Charge Port Package (SV grade only) includes LED headlights, auto on/off headlights, fog lights and Quick Charge Port. Finally, the Premium Package (SV and SL grades) offers the advanced Around View® Monitor and Bose® 7-speaker audio.

woodjmichael said:
IMHO I read the IEV post differently, it looks to me that a 2013 S can have the 6.6 (6.0 w/e) kW OBC but not the DC fast charge. Can anyone corroborate?

I do know how to check the power rating on the 120/240 charger: on the passenger side of the "stack" near the top (what looks like it would be a valve cover on a transverse I4 engine) you can peer in between a few hoses/etc and see the nameplate label for the charger - it should say either 3.3 kW or 6.6 kW. If I can find the photo I found I will post.
OK, here's the rundown:

S model: Can have 3.3kW and no CHAdeMO or 6.0kW and CHAdeMO
SV model: Can have 6.0kW and no CHAdemo or 6.0kW and CHAdeMO
SL model Always has 6.0kW and CHAdeMO

davewill said:
OK, here's the rundown:
S model: Can have 3.3kW and no CHAdeMO or 6.0kW and CHAdeMO
SV model: Can have 6.0kW and no CHAdemo or 6.0kW and CHAdeMO
SL model Always has 6.0kW and CHAdeMO
Bingo! Looks right to me.
ElectricEddy said:
RonDawg said:
NissanLeafCamper said:

I find the 208v fed units usually supply around 5.5 kWh with some as low as 5kWh. But I also suspect that they can be limited by the installer according to the building service or owner's preference.
Guys, please get your units right.

The charging rate is in kW, not "kh" (not sure what the heck that is) nor kWh. Leaf has a 24 kWh battery w/~21 kWh usable and a 80 kW motor.

kW and kWh are very different metrics. It's the same as confusing gallons with horsepower. Think of kW = horsepower, kWh = gallons.

If one charges at 1 kW (or 1000 watts) for 6 hours, 6 kWh came out of the wall. If it's at 6 kW for 1 hour, it's also 6 kWh. If it's 1 watt for 6000 hours, it's also 6 kWh.

(BTW, 1 hp = ~0.746 kW. And, http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/evsbs.shtml says 1 gallon of gasoline=33.7 kWh.)

I too have a pair of opposite colided leafs, of which one is out of the body shop running and in fair trim.
a 2013 s 97%soh
the donor was a 2013SV with chademo
I am planning to swap in the chademo and charging block of the top tier of the powertrain to upgrade the s to the sv quick charge and 6.6kw onboard charg

Is there anything I should know that could pitfall this?
I already understand the electrical safety rules and am adept and able at a professional parts swap, have obdII with leaf spy,

anyother tools or software reccomended?

any links available on this having been done to review?

So long as we are in memory lane, which trims or packages of the 2013 MY included the heat pump?

SageBrush said:
So long as we are in memory lane, which trims or packages of the 2013 MY included the heat pump?
Only the SV and SL of the '13. IIRC, this is still true of model years thru '17. S trim only has the resistive heater.

Search for hybrid at http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit as well as under the Specs tab there.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12704 may help Brenthasty a tiny bit. EV4Taos's posts re: a '12 won't really help since the OBC is in the back of the '11 and '12 Leaf. For '13+ Leafs, the OBC was moved to the front and is a totally different part.

Brenthasty said:
I too have a pair of opposite colided leafs, of which one is out of the body shop running and in fair trim.
a 2013 s 97%soh
the donor was a 2013SV with chademo
I am planning to swap in the chademo and charging block of the top tier of the powertrain to upgrade the s to the sv quick charge and 6.6kw onboard charg

Is there anything I should know that could pitfall this?
I already understand the electrical safety rules and am adept and able at a professional parts swap, have obdII with leaf spy,

anyother tools or software reccomended?

any links available on this having been done to review?

I'm not sure how many things you need to swap but the inlets on the 2011-12 cars were not rated for 6kw charging, the newer models may be different. Besides that you may have a huge project on your hands.

Back