NissanLeafCamper
Delivery Date: 01 May 2013

6.6kw charger on 2013 nissan leaf model S?!

Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:41 pm

Guys, I am going to buy a used 2013 nissan leaf model S but I have no idea how to check/know if the car has the "Charge Package" I hear so often about. How exactly do you know it has it? Does it say on the window when you plug it in to charge? Does anyone have a picture if so? The guys at the dealer have nooooooo cluuuuueeeee whatsoever and I have even less of a clue because this is my first leaf.

How exactly do you know if a model S 2013 has the 6.6kw charger package? How do you check to make sure it has it?

GRA

Re: 6.6kw charger on 2013 nissan leaf model S?!

Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:56 pm

IIRR, the S charge package includes the 6.0 ( not 6.6) kW OBC and CHAdeMO, so if it has a (working) CHAdeMO port, you're good to go.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:58 pm

IIRR, the S charge package includes the 6.0 ( not 6.6) kW OBC and CHAdeMO, so if it has a (working) CHAdeMO port, you're good to go. See https://www.google.com/search?q=nissan+ ... 24&bih=614

CHAdeMO is the larger port on the left.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

NissanLeafCamper

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:16 pm

GRA wrote:IIRR, the S charge package includes the 6.0 ( not 6.6) kW OBC and CHAdeMO, so if it has a (working) CHAdeMO port, you're good to go. See https://www.google.com/search?q=nissan+ ... 24&bih=614

Thanks GRA :),

So basically if the 2013 leaf model S has the CHAdeMO then it automatically will have the 6.0kw charger because that was part of the package? Good to know sadly none of the S's I saw today had a CHAdeMO :(. Do you know if the higher trims (SL and SV) in 2013 automatically had the CHAdeMO / 6.0kw charger? Or did you have to pick/add into the purchase of the trim?

Another question: What about the 2012 leaf and under? Did they have the option of a CHAdeMO charge package to upgrade the regular charger to 6.0kw? Or was this not available in those older models?

GRA

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:26 pm

NissanLeafCamper wrote:
GRA wrote:IIRR, the S charge package includes the 6.0 ( not 6.6) kW OBC and CHAdeMO, so if it has a (working) CHAdeMO port, you're good to go. See https://www.google.com/search?q=nissan+ ... 24&bih=614

Thanks GRA :),

So basically if the 2013 leaf model S has the CHAdeMO then it automatically will have the 6.0kw charger because that was part of the package? Good to know sadly none of the S's I saw today had a CHAdeMO :(. Do you know if the higher trims (SL and SV) in 2013 automatically had the CHAdeMO / 6.0kw charger? Or did you have to pick/add into the purchase of the trim?
Yes, if the S has CHAdeMO it has the 6.0 OBC. IIRR the 2013 SV and SL both came with the 6.0 kW charger - SL also came with CHAdeMO standard. The optional charger package for the SV included CHAdeMO and, IIRC, LED headlights instead of the 6.0 OBC (which all the SVs had). IIRC, the 2013 SV and SL also came with 'B' mode, which the S lacked (along with the heat pump, and neither was an option for it). Edit: This ievs article has the info: http://insideevs.com/2013-nissan-leaf-o ... fications/

GRA

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:42 pm

2012 and earlier LEAFs only had the 3.3 kW OBC - the 6.0 kW was an option introduced with the 2013 MY. BTW, the confusion between 6.0 and 6.6 kW OBC is due to the fact that Nissan changed the way they rated them between the original 3.3 kW OBC, and the later "6.6" kW [Sic.] OBC. The 3.3 kW was the output power from the charger (input was 3.84 kW), while the "6.6" kW was the input TO the charger; output is 6.0 kW. Nissan did this in order to compete with the Ford Focus and other BEVs which were appearing with 6.6 kW output chargers, and needless to say didn't call attention to the change. IIRR, this was first pointed out here at MNL.

NissanLeafCamper

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:49 pm

GRA wrote:2012 and earlier LEAFs only had the 3.3 kW OBC - the 6.0 kW was an option introduced with the 2013 MY. BTW, the confusion between 6.0 and 6.6 kW OBC is due to the fact that Nissan changed the way they rated them between the original 3.3 kW OBC, and the later "6.6" kW [Sic.] OBC. The 3.3 kW was the output power from the charger (input was 3.84 kW), while the "6.6" kW was the input TO the charger; output is 6.0 kW. Nissan did this in order to compete with the Ford Focus and other BEVs which were appearing with 6.6 kW output chargers, and needless to say didn't call attention to the change. IIRR, this was first pointed out here at MNL.

Thanks GRA that pretty much answered all my questions :). I also booked marked the insideevs web page which has all the info I needed. I will look it up next time I have an EQ question. If all goes well I should have my used leaf before the end of this month :)! Here is hoping!

Thank you so much GRA!

NissanLeafCamper

Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:37 pm

Guys I found a 2013 S that might just be the one I am looking for. I asked the dealer to take a picture of the ports and it looks like it has both of them:

Big and small one. That is the quick charger right? On the left? If so then it should 6.0kh charge on the smaller one correct?

GRA

Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:46 pm

Yes and yes.

GRA

Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:49 pm

Yes and yes. I'm assuming you'll also check the capacity bars, and/or will get yourself LEAFSpy and the OBD II dongle to see even more precisely what shape the battery is in before you plunk down your money.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”