RonDawg
Posts: 2633
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: 6.6kw charger on 2013 nissan leaf model S?!

Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:06 pm

NissanLeafCamper wrote:If so then it should 6.0kh charge on the smaller one correct?


Yes but with one caveat: the EVSE (often mistakenly called a "charger") must also supply 6.6 kW, or 27.5 amps at 240 volts. A few public charging stations are only at 208 volts, and not 240.

If you use an EVSE supplying less than 6.6 kW, you won't be charging your Leaf at "full speed."
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

ElectricEddy
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.

Re: 6.6kw charger on 2013 nissan leaf model S?!

Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:59 pm

RonDawg wrote:
NissanLeafCamper wrote:If so then it should 6.0kh charge on the smaller one correct?


Yes but with one caveat: the EVSE (often mistakenly called a "charger") must also supply 6.6 kW, or 27.5 amps at 240 volts. A few public charging stations are only at 208 volts, and not 240.

If you use an EVSE supplying less than 6.6 kW, you won't be charging your Leaf at "full speed."
I find the 208v fed units usually supply around 5.5 kWh with some as low as 5kWh. But I also suspect that they can be limited by the installer according to the building service or owner's preference.
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

woodjmichael
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:41 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2015

Re: 6.6kw charger on 2013 nissan leaf model S?!

Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:46 pm

IMHO I read the IEV post differently, it looks to me that a 2013 S can have the 6.6 (6.0 w/e) kW OBC but not the DC fast charge. Can anyone corroborate?

I do know how to check the power rating on the 120/240 charger: on the passenger side of the "stack" near the top (what looks like it would be a valve cover on a transverse I4 engine) you can peer in between a few hoses/etc and see the nameplate label for the charger - it should say either 3.3 kW or 6.6 kW. If I can find the photo I found I will post.
I'm looking to buy a 2013 (or-so) S, preferably with the 6.6 kW charger in New England.

woodjmichael
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:41 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2015

Re: 6.6kw charger on 2013 nissan leaf model S?!

Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:54 pm

Well, this paints a different picture. I suppose the 6.6 kW OBC and DC quick charger are the same package.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit

Three new option packages are added for 2013, allowing buyers to further select the exact equipment and features for their needs. The Quick Charge Package (S grade only) includes the 6.6 kW onboard charger, Quick Charge Port and RearView Monitor. The LED Headlights + Quick Charge Port Package (SV grade only) includes LED headlights, auto on/off headlights, fog lights and Quick Charge Port. Finally, the Premium Package (SV and SL grades) offers the advanced Around View® Monitor and Bose® 7-speaker audio.
I'm looking to buy a 2013 (or-so) S, preferably with the 6.6 kW charger in New England.

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 4757
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: 6.6kw charger on 2013 nissan leaf model S?!

Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:29 pm

woodjmichael wrote:IMHO I read the IEV post differently, it looks to me that a 2013 S can have the 6.6 (6.0 w/e) kW OBC but not the DC fast charge. Can anyone corroborate?

I do know how to check the power rating on the 120/240 charger: on the passenger side of the "stack" near the top (what looks like it would be a valve cover on a transverse I4 engine) you can peer in between a few hoses/etc and see the nameplate label for the charger - it should say either 3.3 kW or 6.6 kW. If I can find the photo I found I will post.
OK, here's the rundown:

S model: Can have 3.3kW and no CHAdeMO or 6.0kW and CHAdeMO
SV model: Can have 6.0kW and no CHAdemo or 6.0kW and CHAdeMO
SL model Always has 6.0kW and CHAdeMO
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

cwerdna
Gold Member
Posts: 6851
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 6.6kw charger on 2013 nissan leaf model S?!

Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:11 am

davewill wrote:OK, here's the rundown:
S model: Can have 3.3kW and no CHAdeMO or 6.0kW and CHAdeMO
SV model: Can have 6.0kW and no CHAdemo or 6.0kW and CHAdeMO
SL model Always has 6.0kW and CHAdeMO

Bingo! Looks right to me.
ElectricEddy wrote:
RonDawg wrote:
NissanLeafCamper wrote:If so then it should 6.0kh charge on the smaller one correct?


Yes but with one caveat: the EVSE (often mistakenly called a "charger") must also supply 6.6 kW, or 27.5 amps at 240 volts. A few public charging stations are only at 208 volts, and not 240.

If you use an EVSE supplying less than 6.6 kW, you won't be charging your Leaf at "full speed."
I find the 208v fed units usually supply around 5.5 kWh with some as low as 5kWh. But I also suspect that they can be limited by the installer according to the building service or owner's preference.

Guys, please get your units right.

The charging rate is in kW, not "kh" (not sure what the heck that is) nor kWh. Leaf has a 24 kWh battery w/~21 kWh usable and a 80 kW motor.

kW and kWh are very different metrics. It's the same as confusing gallons with horsepower. Think of kW = horsepower, kWh = gallons.

If one charges at 1 kW (or 1000 watts) for 6 hours, 6 kWh came out of the wall. If it's at 6 kW for 1 hour, it's also 6 kWh. If it's 1 watt for 6000 hours, it's also 6 kWh.

(BTW, 1 hp = ~0.746 kW. And, http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/evsbs.shtml says 1 gallon of gasoline=33.7 kWh.)

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Brenthasty
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:24 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2014
Leaf Number: 023724
Location: Near portland oregon
Contact: Website

Re: 6.6kw charger on 2013 nissan leaf model S?!

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:08 pm

I too have a pair of opposite colided leafs, of which one is out of the body shop running and in fair trim.
a 2013 s 97%soh
the donor was a 2013SV with chademo
I am planning to swap in the chademo and charging block of the top tier of the powertrain to upgrade the s to the sv quick charge and 6.6kw onboard charg

Is there anything I should know that could pitfall this?
I already understand the electrical safety rules and am adept and able at a professional parts swap, have obdII with leaf spy,

anyother tools or software reccomended?

any links available on this having been done to review?

SageBrush
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: 6.6kw charger on 2013 nissan leaf model S?!

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:34 pm

So long as we are in memory lane, which trims or packages of the 2013 MY included the heat pump?
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

cwerdna
Gold Member
Posts: 6851
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 6.6kw charger on 2013 nissan leaf model S?!

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:49 pm

SageBrush wrote:So long as we are in memory lane, which trims or packages of the 2013 MY included the heat pump?

Only the SV and SL of the '13. IIRC, this is still true of model years thru '17. S trim only has the resistive heater.

Search for hybrid at http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/ ... -press-kit as well as under the Specs tab there.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12704 may help Brenthasty a tiny bit. EV4Taos's posts re: a '12 won't really help since the OBC is in the back of the '11 and '12 Leaf. For '13+ Leafs, the OBC was moved to the front and is a totally different part.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Posts: 5816
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: 6.6kw charger on 2013 nissan leaf model S?!

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:32 am

Brenthasty wrote:I too have a pair of opposite colided leafs, of which one is out of the body shop running and in fair trim.
a 2013 s 97%soh
the donor was a 2013SV with chademo
I am planning to swap in the chademo and charging block of the top tier of the powertrain to upgrade the s to the sv quick charge and 6.6kw onboard charg

Is there anything I should know that could pitfall this?
I already understand the electrical safety rules and am adept and able at a professional parts swap, have obdII with leaf spy,

anyother tools or software reccomended?

any links available on this having been done to review?



I'm not sure how many things you need to swap but the inlets on the 2011-12 cars were not rated for 6kw charging, the newer models may be different. Besides that you may have a huge project on your hands.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”