AT&T 2G Death => No Clock

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickandre

An amusing (/horribly annoying) thought just occurred to me.

I am under the impression that the clock in my leaf is set according to the cellular network time as I can find no way to adjust it.

This means that upon the death of the AT&T 2G GSM network on 12/31/16, nobody operating a Leaf with a cellular modem will be able to set the clock, nor will it sync to the network because it's gone.

Lol

I hope I'm wrong about this.

Even if the Leaf did use the cell network for its clock (and it doesn't), it would just use it to sync and not be 100% dependent.

Your cell phone's own clock doesn't stop working when you don't have a signal, or are in Airplane Mode, does it?

I'm 99% sure the clock on 2013 and newer cars is derived from GPS time, not cellular. 2011-2012 the eyebrow clock is set manually, and the nav clock uses the GPS.

The S models have no gps or cell modem, so they're always set manually.

JeremyW said:
I'm 99% sure the clock on 2013 and newer cars is derived from GPS time, not cellular.
Yep. GPS satellites (by definition) carry atomic clocks. See http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2002/08apr_atomicclock/ and http://www.gps.gov/applications/timing/, for example.

JeremyW said:
I'm 99% sure the clock on 2013 and newer cars is derived from GPS time, not cellular. 2011-2012 the eyebrow clock is set manually, and the nav clock uses the GPS.

The S models have no gps or cell modem, so they're always set manually.

+1
Center display clocks on all navi equipped from 2011 on are set by GPS time. Eyebrow clock on 2013 and newer navi equipped are also.
Non-navi and 2011 and 2012 eyebrow clocks are set manually.

kovalb said:
+1
Center display clocks on all navi equipped from 2011 on are set by GPS time. Eyebrow clock on 2013 and newer navi equipped are also.
Non-navi and 2011 and 2012 eyebrow clocks are set manually.

Hmm...interesting. So...can the eyebrow display from a 2013 be retrofitted into a 2011? I've always hated that my eyebrow clock doesn't keep the correct time!

mwalsh said:
Hmm...interesting. So...can the eyebrow display from a 2013 be retrofitted into a 2011? I've always hated that my eyebrow clock doesn't keep the correct time!

The parts physically look the same, but it may not be the eyebrow display's fault. That display is driven over a serial line from the main gauge cluster. I am not sure if the clock circuitry is in the eyebrow gauge or the main gauge, or if the 2011 main cluster is compatible with the 2013+ eyebrow.

I have a 2011 main gauge cluster and a 2012 eyebrow gauge on my bench, and I eventually want to sniff the serial line between them. But I have a more pressing project right now. I'll get to it eventually, though.

Now that 2G has been discontinued, I can report that my 2011 Leaf is off by 1 hour. In other words, the GPS time is set properly, but the car either does not know the proper time zone or daylight savings times. Thus all my charging timers are off by one hour, and my kids are late to school by 59 minutes each day.

Is there a DST toggle on the nav system? On my '13 SV under Settings > Clock, there's a Daylight Savings Time on/off toggle besides offsets in minutes and hours.

I have no idea if the timers are off since I generally don't use them much except the midnight to midnight 80% trick. And, since NissanConnect is dead, I don't get notifications anyways when charging completes.

(My $199 to upgrade to 3G TCU so far has been a waste of $. It doesn't work. Can't sign in on the car side w/the correct "PIN" and password once logged into the owner's portal. Still waiting for a call back from Nissan EV support to confirm that the activation went ok on their end before I take it back to the dealer.)

(My $199 to upgrade to 3G TCU so far has been a waste of $. It doesn't work. Can't sign in on the car side w/the correct "PIN" and password once logged into the owner's portal. Still waiting for a call back from Nissan EV support to confirm that the activation went ok on their end before I take it back to the dealer.)

That makes my decision for me. I don't need the telematics nearly as much in Spring/Summer/Fall as in Winter, so I'll save the money and hassle, and hope I get my Leaf v??? before next Winter gets going full blast.

cwerdna said:
Is there a DST toggle on the nav system? On my '13 SV under Settings > Clock, there's a Daylight Savings Time on/off toggle besides offsets in minutes and hours.

Yes, there is. I guess the previous poster hasn't found it yet. ;)

Incidentally, there isn't in my wife's '13 Volt - all you can do is advance/retard (depending on the season) the clock by 1 hour. :?

Paid $199 for the TCU upgrade. Get error message "Failed to connect" to CARWINGS. It has been to the dealer three times. This third time, dealer was able to enter the VIN, TCU ID etc into the TCU. It still failed to connect. Now those fields are full of asterisks and the TCU is not registered on the AT&T network.Triple-verified my CARWINGSuser ID (PIN) and password.

Has anyone else had success with the upgraded TCU's? What's the secret?

tdrager said:
Paid $199 for the TCU upgrade. Get error message "Failed to connect" to CARWINGS. It has been to the dealer three times. This third time, dealer was able to enter the VIN, TCU ID etc into the TCU. It still failed to connect. Now those fields are full of asterisks and the TCU is not registered on the AT&T network.Triple-verified my CARWINGSuser ID (PIN) and password.

Has anyone else had success with the upgraded TCU's? What's the secret?

I had the TCU replaced three times.

I've needed to pull and replace the audio fuse once after getting a working TCU. Try this first. Get a fuse puller and remove the correct fuse, count to 10, replace. Power up the car, see if it updates charging stations. If it does, try logging in.

No luck pulling the Audio fuse. Nissanconnect says the CARWINGS Unit ID information screen MUST be filled in with valid data for:

- TCU ID
- SIM ID
- VIN

Mine WERE valid, but now have all ******* (asterisk).

Because of this, connection to the cellular network fails immediately. Anyone know how to fill in the asterisks? (Besides the dealer)

Back