jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:25 am

I'm actually wishing I hadn't done it. I had finally gotten used to checking the car each day to see if it was plugged in yet (*), so I could have lived without the (normally) unreliable network access. That the 12V battery can be drained is an altogether new hassle, and I could've saved $200 by not having it done.

(*) We have 20+ shared EVSEs at work, and if I can find out if I've been plugged in yet, it can save me a walk to the parking garage.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

thebard
Delivery Date: 04 Mar 2017

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:05 pm

GerryAZ wrote:
I had a couple of times in the last week without receiving plug in reminder/charge complete emails and texts and I noticed that remote climate control/status updates were no longer working. I pulled the 20-ampere fuse (number 34) for a minute or two this morning before starting the car and everything is working fine again. I hope that a future software update for the telematics unit will fix this occasional glitch, but in the mean time I can pull the fuse whenever necessary.

Someone with more automotive / electrical know-how than me: is there any way to automate this process? E.g., every time the car is shut off, cut power to that one fuse, wait ten seconds, then fire it up again? Like an in-line fuse holster with a timer relay, hooked up to something that would signal a power-off state?

Sad to consider resorting to this, but frustrating to have to pop the hood each time the Leaf stops talking to me.
Last edited by thebard on Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 SV --- QC / Navigation --- Brilliant Silver

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:20 pm

In my case it has only failed twice in 6 months so it is not worth the effort to design a suitable circuit (which might cause other issues). Also, I'm not sure how long the fuse needs to be out in order to reset the telematics unit (10 seconds may not be enough.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:49 am

GerryAZ wrote:In my case it has only failed twice in 6 months so it is not worth the effort to design a suitable circuit (which might cause other issues). Also, I'm not sure how long the fuse needs to be out in order to reset the telematics unit (10 seconds may not be enough.

^^^ THIS...plus you can hear a faint "click" when you pull the fuse...after which you can plug it back in.
The car will start responding to commands again almost immediately after you re-boot.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

MalcolmReynolds
Delivery Date: 04 Jul 2017

Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:08 pm

For anyone buying a used Leaf what is the process to tell if the Telematics has been updated or not? I just purchased a car that I am waiting to be shipped to me. However I do not know if it has the updated telematics. Is there an easy way to check this when the car gets here? You guys have me a bit worried. I am kind of hoping that it hasn't been updated given the issues being reported here.

Also the next question is regarding the fee or subscription. Is Nissan charging for NissanConnect on these or are they still providing the service free of cost? Thanks.
=======================================
"Serenity" 2013 SL 12 bars 39k+ miles and counting
Zencar 32a EVSE

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:14 pm

MalcolmReynolds wrote:For anyone buying a used Leaf what is the process to tell if the Telematics has been updated or not? I just purchased a car that I am waiting to be shipped to me. However I do not know if it has the updated telematics. Is there an easy way to check this when the car gets here? You guys have me a bit worried. I am kind of hoping that it hasn't been updated given the issues being reported here.

viewtopic.php?p=496305#p496305
MalcolmReynolds wrote:Also the next question is regarding the fee or subscription. Is Nissan charging for NissanConnect on these or are they still providing the service free of cost? Thanks.

It's still free.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

MalcolmReynolds

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:58 pm

Thank you that is very helpful. I will make sure to check it out as soon as the car arrives.
Zencar 32a EVSE

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:22 pm

MalcolmReynolds wrote:Thank you that is very helpful. I will make sure to check it out as soon as the car arrives.

No prob. I realized I should've pointed to http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=477934#p477934 instead. There apparently can be some confusion as to those numbers.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

thebard
Delivery Date: 04 Mar 2017

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:58 am

Another way to check is to set up your account in the owner's portal, & try to connect to the car. If it needs an update, you should get an error message to that effect.

Note: new owners of a used vehicle may need to contact support to get the VIN # re-registered.
2013 SV --- QC / Navigation --- Brilliant Silver

MalcolmReynolds

Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:46 am

I can confirm that if you bought a used Leaf you will likely have to contact customer support to get the car released from the previous owner and moved over to your account.

I tried this last night and it tells me I need to call to get it released. You have to provide some sort of proof you own it now. So I will try to get some time to fight that battle some time this week. On a side note the telematics system here at my house says there is no service. I don't know if it is my location, or the telematics unit, or what might be the cause of that error. I will try again when I am out running errands today to see if location makes a difference.
Zencar 32a EVSE

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”