briscobully
Delivery Date: 02 Jun 2018
Leaf Number: 315457

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:18 pm

SalisburySam

Thanks for the speedy reply. I wondered as such due to all the reliability issues but you never know. I assume then you just have to contact Nissan and prove you are the new owner in order to get connected? I live in Chicago and didn't care for AT&T's service for my cell so I doubt I'll be happy with the 3G in the Leaf. Due to the Chicago winters, I would most likely only use the service to preheat the vehicle during the colder months (which is almost all of them); Today it's a balmy 22F real feel with flurries!

Thanks again!
2015 Leaf 'S' w/ QC package - Brilliant Silver - 12 Bar / ODO- 13,845 miles/ Ahr =60.81 / SOH= 91.52 / QC = 10 / L1/L2 = 420

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:46 am

If you are looking at used LEAFs, keep in mind that 3G upgrade is only free on 2015. It costs $199 for older models.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:58 am

briscobully wrote:SalisburySam

Thanks for the speedy reply. I wondered as such due to all the reliability issues but you never know. I assume then you just have to contact Nissan and prove you are the new owner in order to get connected? I live in Chicago and didn't care for AT&T's service for my cell so I doubt I'll be happy with the 3G in the Leaf. Due to the Chicago winters, I would most likely only use the service to preheat the vehicle during the colder months (which is almost all of them); Today it's a balmy 22F real feel with flurries!

Thanks again!

You can set a climate timer to preheat the vehicle without the Telematics. I'm not sure about the Leaf S, but this will work with the SV and SL models, as long as you can predict the time of departure. Works best if you are on a regular schedule.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

briscobully
Delivery Date: 02 Jun 2018
Leaf Number: 315457

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks for the info... I most likely would lean towards the SV or SL models anyway due to the better battery mechanics. I live in a colder weather area, Chicago, and the interior heater works better in the non-S based models; Or so I'm told.
2015 Leaf 'S' w/ QC package - Brilliant Silver - 12 Bar / ODO- 13,845 miles/ Ahr =60.81 / SOH= 91.52 / QC = 10 / L1/L2 = 420

EvieInCA
Delivery Date: 16 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 405173

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:52 am

GerryAZ wrote:If you are looking at used LEAFs, keep in mind that 3G upgrade is only free on 2015. It costs $199 for older models.

Give the context for this thread (e.g. the upgrade causes battery draining) I would avoid upgrading telematics like the plague. We have had to have our towed three times since doing the upgrade and there’s still no fix. We’ve since disabled all information sharing etc. which severely limits the capability/purpose of doing the upgrade.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:48 am

EvieInCA wrote:
GerryAZ wrote:If you are looking at used LEAFs, keep in mind that 3G upgrade is only free on 2015. It costs $199 for older models.

Give the context for this thread (e.g. the upgrade causes battery draining) I would avoid upgrading telematics like the plague. We have had to have our towed three times since doing the upgrade and there’s still no fix. We’ve since disabled all information sharing etc. which severely limits the capability/purpose of doing the upgrade.

I have only had to pull fuse and reset DTCs 4 or 5 times since getting my free upgrade in December 2016 so the convenience of remote access is worth the small hassle to me.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:43 pm

EvieInCA wrote:We’ve since disabled all information sharing etc.

Best solution!
Leaf SL MY 9/13: 66K miles, 50 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, L2 charges to 100% > 1000, max battery temp < 95F, min discharge point > 20 Ahrs

EvieInCA
Delivery Date: 16 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 405173

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:30 pm

GerryAZ wrote:
EvieInCA wrote:

I have only had to pull fuse and reset DTCs 4 or 5 times since getting my free upgrade in December 2016 so the convenience of remote access is worth the small hassle to me.

That assumes the battery hasn't already run down. Being stranded three times and having to get the car towed... not a "small" hassle at all.

MalcolmReynolds
Delivery Date: 04 Jul 2017

Wed May 09, 2018 5:05 pm

People have been having this issue for over a year now? Nissan at one point has told some owners engineers have looked at this and a fix is coming... And here we sit with no fix and dead batteries.

I would like to know what recourse owners who have had the upgrade and have dead batteries can get in forcing the dealer IE Nissan into replacing the batteries and plugging up their service bay with the car constantly being towed in to address a dead car. I mean sure you can keep the car on a maintainer, and do battery disconnects and fuse pulls and keep on going.... but I wonder if Nissan would jump into action once it starts costing them money. Right now it just costs us money so Nissan could care less. It is pathetic.

I am glad I held off on the upgrade thanks to the good people here telling us of these issues. But I still find it maddening we are so far along this path and Nissan has not made customers whole. That just is not acceptable to push out a customer paid for upgrade that damages car batteries and creates problems with the functionality as designed into the car. This is really sad.
=======================================
"Serenity" 2013 SL 12 bars 39k+ miles and counting
Zencar 32a EVSE

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Thu May 10, 2018 4:19 am

MalcolmReynolds wrote:People have been having this issue for over a year now? Nissan at one point has told some owners engineers have looked at this and a fix is coming... And here we sit with no fix and dead batteries.

I would like to know what recourse owners who have had the upgrade and have dead batteries can get in forcing the dealer IE Nissan into replacing the batteries and plugging up their service bay with the car constantly being towed in to address a dead car. I mean sure you can keep the car on a maintainer, and do battery disconnects and fuse pulls and keep on going.... but I wonder if Nissan would jump into action once it starts costing them money. Right now it just costs us money so Nissan could care less. It is pathetic.

I am glad I held off on the upgrade thanks to the good people here telling us of these issues. But I still find it maddening we are so far along this path and Nissan has not made customers whole. That just is not acceptable to push out a customer paid for upgrade that damages car batteries and creates problems with the functionality as designed into the car. This is really sad.

Your denying yourself the advantages of a functioning TCU, because of the possibility of a problem. Yes, there are those with TCU issues, but not everyone has been negatively affected. It may cost me a little time, but it has not cost me any more money that would be expected. I upgraded the TCU, when they first became available, in January 2017. I replaced the original battery (almost 5 years old) in September 2017 with an AGM battery. The need for fuse pulls has greatly decreased since then. When the TCU stops responding, I just do a 30-second fuse pull, and then all is good for another month or two. Yes, it is an inconvenience, but not as much as it would be not having remote access to the car.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”