briscobully
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:04 am
Delivery Date: 14 Mar 2018
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:18 pm

SalisburySam

Thanks for the speedy reply. I wondered as such due to all the reliability issues but you never know. I assume then you just have to contact Nissan and prove you are the new owner in order to get connected? I live in Chicago and didn't care for AT&T's service for my cell so I doubt I'll be happy with the 3G in the Leaf. Due to the Chicago winters, I would most likely only use the service to preheat the vehicle during the colder months (which is almost all of them); Today it's a balmy 22F real feel with flurries!

Thanks again!

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Posts: 1626
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:46 am

If you are looking at used LEAFs, keep in mind that 3G upgrade is only free on 2015. It costs $199 for older models.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

WetEV
Posts: 1944
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:58 am

briscobully wrote:SalisburySam

Thanks for the speedy reply. I wondered as such due to all the reliability issues but you never know. I assume then you just have to contact Nissan and prove you are the new owner in order to get connected? I live in Chicago and didn't care for AT&T's service for my cell so I doubt I'll be happy with the 3G in the Leaf. Due to the Chicago winters, I would most likely only use the service to preheat the vehicle during the colder months (which is almost all of them); Today it's a balmy 22F real feel with flurries!

Thanks again!


You can set a climate timer to preheat the vehicle without the Telematics. I'm not sure about the Leaf S, but this will work with the SV and SL models, as long as you can predict the time of departure. Works best if you are on a regular schedule.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

briscobully
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:04 am
Delivery Date: 14 Mar 2018
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks for the info... I most likely would lean towards the SV or SL models anyway due to the better battery mechanics. I live in a colder weather area, Chicago, and the interior heater works better in the non-S based models; Or so I'm told.

EvieInCA
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:52 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 405173

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:52 am

GerryAZ wrote:If you are looking at used LEAFs, keep in mind that 3G upgrade is only free on 2015. It costs $199 for older models.


Give the context for this thread (e.g. the upgrade causes battery draining) I would avoid upgrading telematics like the plague. We have had to have our towed three times since doing the upgrade and there’s still no fix. We’ve since disabled all information sharing etc. which severely limits the capability/purpose of doing the upgrade.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Posts: 1626
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:48 am

EvieInCA wrote:
GerryAZ wrote:If you are looking at used LEAFs, keep in mind that 3G upgrade is only free on 2015. It costs $199 for older models.


Give the context for this thread (e.g. the upgrade causes battery draining) I would avoid upgrading telematics like the plague. We have had to have our towed three times since doing the upgrade and there’s still no fix. We’ve since disabled all information sharing etc. which severely limits the capability/purpose of doing the upgrade.


I have only had to pull fuse and reset DTCs 4 or 5 times since getting my free upgrade in December 2016 so the convenience of remote access is worth the small hassle to me.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

lorenfb
Posts: 1681
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:43 pm

EvieInCA wrote:We’ve since disabled all information sharing etc.


Best solution!

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”